Dodge Dart Forum banner

Jace - Accident Thread

55K views 259 replies 72 participants last post by  Showboy 
#1 ·
So, basically, I've decided to consolidate all the info/posts about the accident Jace was involved in, back on Thursday (Oct 25, 2013).

The day started out pretty well; I got a nice big box of goodies from @TorkMe - my payment for doing logo work that I have yet to send due to all this stuff happening. I will send it soon! Promise!!

2hrs after getting my box opening it up and taking the pic; then putting the mat in the trunk, the accident happened.

The easiest way to set this up, is to tell you where it was and why it was:
Traffic was stopped just beyond a blind crest in an area that is usually free and clear of traffic. It's also a 55mph zone. Traffic was stopped for a Funeral procession. It was a long one (we were told it was for an 11yo kid), and quite a bit of traffic had stopped, and "piled up" at the light at the bottom of the hill.

What I can only assume was the case, was that the Cadillac CTS that hit us, had assumed traffic was 'as-usual' and was just getting around a big-rig that was further behind me, and then was momentarily distracted by his water. All that, and you have 5 cars involved in a pretty unique accident, considering what could've happened, and what actually did. Especially, considering everybody walked away from it.

So, the vehicles involved:
- 2007 CTS (the at-fault)
- 2012 Ford Work-Truck (first collision)
- 2004 Maxima (hit by pickup)
- 2011 Camry (grazed by CTS)
- 2013 Dart (final collision)

Easiest way to explain it, is to show you, and that's what pics are for. Keep in mind this all happened within about a second, to a second and a half. Pic isn't exactly to scale, since I don't have internet on my PC to make GoogleEarth overlay like I wanted. Anyways, this is what happened:

.. and here is the results. We only got pics of my car and the Caddy, since it was the only vehicle to hit us & having been pushed off the road in the collision, we didn't hit anyone else. We assumed we were the first vehicle hit, due to the speed of the collision. We heard tire squeal and then we were hit, at about the same time. So it sounded like brakes locking up to us. Which also didn't make sense, cause of the trail of damage the Caddy left behind. After reading the Police report, it all made sense. lol

Anyways, here's the pics: Jace, pics taken at scene. This is where he "landed" (as shown above)

The Cadillac, at the scene. Yes, that is my bumper attached there.

Thursday evening, we were able to borrow a vehicle from his brother & drive that for the day.. and being so late in the day (around 7pm) by the time we were settled and done, we went home.

--------------------

The next day (Friday morning) we went to the hospital for an increase in pain on my right side. My upper back, neck and shoulder. Several x-rays and two CT-scans later, I was diagnosed with a compressed vertebrae, and my bf was diagnosed with accident-related muscle tension, causing the pain in right side.

After the hospital visit, we stopped by Jace to get the other stuff out of him, and let the storage-lot guys know how the passive-entry works, and that they can't just leave the key in the car. Took more pics of the damage (shown above).

Pics taken at the storage-lot, where he was towed and is being stored until further notice.

--------------------
Saturday and Sunday, there was nothing TO do, because we were told the report wouldn't be in until Monday, and with all the chaos surrounding the accident scene, we forgot to get the Caddy's info. We also played musical-cars with the bfs' family because people needed different cars for different things.
--------------------
Monday, we called & handled business with the Caddy's insurance company (we called ours immediately after the incident), and were scheduled for a rental car. Tuesday we picked up said rental, and that's about it. We were granted the rental until the 31st.
--------------------
Obviously, it's Wednesday now, so pain is mostly gone, just a bit from my shoulder that comes and goes. The joint isn't very happy. Today we're just waiting on word from the insurance about when they want to check out Jace and get that opinion.

See less See more
#3 ·
Glad to hear that you weren't injured worse than you where and that you are doing better now, seeing the damage and the fact that it's a 55mph zone it could have been much worse, not that it's not bad enough, hopefully everything works out fine for you with insurance, good luck.

#4 ·
For a while there it was a 50-50 for Jaces survival. After showing these pics to a Chrysler-certified shop yesterday, he said it was fixable to performance. He would have to tear him apart to be certain though. So I feel better about his chances and stand at a 70-30 for survival, in my own mind.. Still waiting on insurance though.

#5 ·
so hard to see

#7 ·
Fubar

Glad you're ok suz, sorry to hear about Jace.

#11 ·
NOOOOO NOT JACE!! Glad everyone is ok though. That's the main thing that counts. Hopefully have is up and running again soon

#12 ·
T the call from the inspector, who looked at my car today. From what is visible at ground level, he is approximating damage at just below $7k. It is expected for that amount to rise. Also, a total is still possible once its at the shop and viewed in detail.

Its supposed to be at the shop tomorrow.

#14 ·
Well that estimate is based on what he can see. So its more of a superficial estimate. Once they tear into the quarter panel, we will see if there is more under there.. He said it'll likely be around 10k if it doesn't turn out to be totaled.

#17 ·
Glad everyone is alright, but sucks about the car... My old Caliber was rear ended a few years ago and the damage total came to a bit under $7000. They didn't have to replace quarter panels and pillars though, just a few inner body panels, new hatch and bumper cover. Its unfortunate but it looks like there is structural damage, which may not be easily fixed without a fair bit of work, along with the need to replace that quarter panel which will take more work to blend in properly if they don't replace that whole side to ahead of the rear doors. Hope it all turns out well for you though. Good luck.

#22 ·
Nice write up to a horrible situation...

Hope everything turns out for the best, and everyone involved (including Jace) makes a full recovery.

"I've seen the end, and there is no light. Like deadly snakes, death rattle shakes!"

#28 ·
Dart still.... hands down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.