Dodge Dart Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Man I wish I had known it was this easy last summer. I had to get one of my front hubs replaced and just took it to my dealer. Could have done this myself and save a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Sorry for commenting on an old discussion. But being that this is a wiki and will be helpful for the life of the darts, I don't feel bad.
So I have to replace my front left wheel hub/bearing thanks to some idiot using an impact on my lugs. I found one stripped out.
I have the hub/bearing in hand.
My question is, is it pretty much the same removal procedure for the front as it is for the rear? I really don't want to have to pull the links and slip the axle out.
If anyone has experience removing the front hub and bearing please chime in. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
If you are replacing the front bearing you will have to remove the axle spindle from the front hub. As far as taking the brakes off its the same but once you take the axle nut off you need to remove the axle from the hub to put the new one on. Reason being the hub is spline in the middle and lines up with the axle. With the car being front wheel drive that's where the action happens.

Make sure to clean the mating surface where the bearing touches the knuckle with a wire brush/wheel and use a very light layer of grease on the surfaces to aid in future disassemble.

Just be happy that we do not have press fit bearings and hubs and they come in one very nice bolt on unit.

·
Registered
981 Posts
If you are replacing the front bearing you will have to remove the axle spindle from the front hub. As far as taking the brakes off its the same but once you take the axle nut off you need to remove the axle from the hub to put the new one on. Reason being the hub is spline in the middle and lines up with the axle. With the car being front wheel drive that's where the action happens.

Make sure to clean the mating surface where the bearing touches the knuckle with a wire brush/wheel and use a very light layer of grease on the surfaces to aid in future disassemble.

Just be happy that we do not have press fit bearings and hubs and they come in one very nice bolt on unit.
Well, looks like my mechanic (not dodge dealer) will be getting some business when the axle nut I forgot to order till today arrives.
I got the bearing/hub in hand. I just forgot most axle nuts are one and done and just to be safe I'll have them use the new one.
I could do this myself, but I don't really feel like crawling around on the groud for hours right now. Plus Im not 100% sure I have all the correct size tools on hand.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Well, looks like my mechanic (not dodge dealer) will be getting some business when the axle nut I forgot to order till today arrives.
I got the bearing/hub in hand. I just forgot most axle nuts are one and done and just to be safe I'll have them use the new one.
I could do this myself, but I don't really feel like crawling around on the groud for hours right now. Plus Im not 100% sure I have all the correct size tools on hand.
Hopefully he'll be able to get the axle off the steering knuckle without pulling it out of the transmission side and leaking tranny fluid by accident.
I've done wheel bearing jobs on cars with press fit bearings before, I wish they would have been bolt-on units like this one, but the press fits are usually a good bit cheaper!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hopefully he'll be able to get the axle off the steering knuckle without pulling it out of the transmission side and leaking tranny fluid by accident.
I've done wheel bearing jobs on cars with press fit bearings before, I wish they would have been bolt-on units like this one, but the press fits are usually a good bit cheaper!
I think I will have him pull whatever is needed without removing the axle from the trans. I showed him how the rubber dampening cup or whatever its called at the top of the spring was rolled and pinched real bad, and may be the source of the stupid clunking when hitting bumps in the cold that seems to be common. If hes gonna be digging that far he might as well look at that too. These guys do good work. They are always short handed because of their strick hiring stanards.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.