Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So mine ended up ripped after some ice chuck got it. Currently driving around without it... but id like to replace it.

I live in Ottawa and can meet around.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Good luck finding one! Call a scrap yard because new, they are way to much.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
There was a guy in my fb group selling aluminum diamond-plate set-ups, Pretty sure he sold out, but it's definately something you might wanna try to do yourself on the cheap. I mean nobody except you and your mechanic is going to know right?

·
Registered
90 Posts
There was a guy in my fb group selling aluminum diamond-plate set-ups, Pretty sure he sold out, but it's definately something you might wanna try to do yourself on the cheap. I mean nobody except you and your mechanic is going to know right?
Has anyone made it out of carbon fiber? I was quite surprised when I took my engine cover off and with how much it weighed.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Has anyone made it out of carbon fiber? I was quite surprised when I took my engine cover off and with how much it weighed.

I have not heard of anybody doing it yet, but I have been considering it. Very expensive to buy sheets large enough and strong enough to do the job though. If I remember right prices were somewhere between $300 and $700 for the right sized sheet (which I do not know the exact size necessary).

·
Registered
90 Posts

I have not heard of anybody doing it yet, but I have been considering it. Very expensive to buy sheets large enough and strong enough to do the job though. If I remember right prices were somewhere between $300 and $700 for the right sized sheet (which I do not know the exact size necessary).
Wonder what the weight savings would be there.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Wonder what the weight savings would be there.
I really can't imagine it being more than a pound. I mean the stock piece is pretty light itself. But it's gotta be a heck of a lot lighter, and easier to remove, than a metal plate.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Nice mod for sure! Not worth the shipping/handling fees though, you could find a local shop to fab something up.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I think I could fab something like this up myself. DO you know the thickness of AL?
Just measure the fiber liner and base your measurements off that. I wouldn't go too thin nor too thick. You want rigid but light weight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not sure if anyone still cares about this thread, But I was able to make one out of Fiberglass and Kevlar weave using cardboard to draft the shape and fitment. I went through two prototypes just using fiberglass until i got the hang of it(I would practice if its your first time like mine lol) Just make sure your cure times are correct or the engine heat will cause any uncured resin to bubble before it hardens all the way. Weight was just below 1.5lbs before painting for the fiberglass only panel. The Kevlar weave was only used to reinforce the mounting points. I was scared that because it is so rigid it would cause some serious damage should it come off at highway speeds. Let me know if anyone would like to know exactly how I did this!

·
Registered
415 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
Zeprider
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing