Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2013 Dodge Dart sxt 1.4L engine.Car calls for 5w40 oil. On my last oil change they put in 0w20. Approx 20 days after the oil was changed my car started idling rough, CEL came on and was found to have only 38 PSI compression in cylinder 1. I currently have an appointment coming up at the dodge dealership on Monday to find the exact cause of the no compression.
Could it be the wrong oil causing this issue? I never had a major issue with this car before. I did not realize they used the wrong oil until this issue.

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
Do you know the code numbers causing the CEL?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have the exact code but it was coming up as cylinder 1 misfire. Spark plugs and coil pack was changed but it remained so then the compression test was done and that’s when we found there was basically no compression.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know the code numbers causing the CEL?
I do not have the exact code but it was coming up as cylinder 1 misfire. Spark plugs and coil pack was changed but it remained so then the compression test was done and that’s when we found there was basically no compression.

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
Was a leak down test done?

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
The 2.0 and 2.4 Dart engines use 0W20 and the 2.4 also has MultiAir like the 1.4. The 1.4 is a Fiat engine and they specify the Euro full synthetic 5W40 oil. The dealer could claim it's the oil but probably can't be 100% since that same 0W20 oil is just fine for other engines. If it's a burnt valve, it wasn't the oil. If it's the rings, maybe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am not a mechanic be any means so do not take what I say a gospel. But... I personally do not see how oil weight has anything to do with compression (Not being a negative Nancy here). With my basic understanding of engines I would start with a pull down tester in a cylinder that's "good" to get a baseline, maybe even do 2. Then I would test the offending cylinder to determine if it is in fact leaking. A compression tester can be had for less than a $100 at your local budget friendly tool store. The labor hours at the dealership can be saved for when you really need to use them. If the cylinder proves to be lacking compression I would move to a mechanic and find out if its the rings or possibly even a bad spark plug. In order to have compression you need vacuum (if my knowledge base is correct).

If the oil happens to be the case then you would have reason to claim compensation for the repairs due to negligence from the oil change place.

·
Premium Member
2013 Dart Limited 1.4T 6-Speed
292 Posts
Since the Multi-Air system uses oil pressure to open and close the valves, incorrect oil weight could theoretically cause a lack of compression. However, as @alpinegreenneon pointed out, the 2.4 (also a Multi-Air engine) uses 0W-20, so this weight should still operate the valves just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts