Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I'm looking for winter tires. Now I was wondering if the bolt pattern and specs would fit my dart
205/55/R16/91T (what does 91T mean??)

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Hey guys so I'm looking for winter tires. Now I was wondering if the bolt pattern and specs would fit my dart
205/55/R16/91T (what does 91T mean??)
Yes, but you will need 16" rims with a 5x110 bolt pattern and 46mm offset (you might want to look for wheels that are KNOWN to fit the Dart). The 91T means it has a "91" load rating, which translates to 1356lbs per tire in this case, and "T" is the speed rating of max 118mph.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Snow tires work better if they are narrow and that is the first number. 205 is narrower than 225. The second number is the profile. Higher number is a taller tire. The last number is the wheel diameter. Tires do not come with wheels and wheels do not come with TPMS (tire pressure monitor sensor). You can disable TPMS with alfaOBD. 68086001AC is the correct part number for a 16 inch steel wheel.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Snow tires work better if they are narrow and that is the first number. 205 is narrower than 225. The second number is the profile. Higher number is a taller tire. The last number is the wheel diameter. Tires do not come with wheels and wheels do not come with TPMS (tire pressure monitor sensor). You can disable TPMS with alfaOBD. 68086001AC is the correct part number for a 16 inch steel wheel.
Unless you're driving where there is always snow on the road, a wider tire gives better grip on pavement. That being said, there is a reason I call winter the "season of sadness", because even with 17" snow tires the same width as my 18 summer tires (technically "all-season", but they're "ultra high performance" tires), the grip on dry or wet pavement is really awful. I regret winter tires almost every day... until it snows, then they're pretty awesome. But that's maybe 7-10 days of the year in the Toronto area, and I sometimes wonder about the wisdom of winter tires.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Here in NW Wisconsin, snow all winter is the rule. I would have to store the Darts if I did not have snow tires. I was able to find used steel wheels for one but for the other, I was able to convince Benny at AllMoparParts to give me free shipping for oem wheels.

My snow tires:
I'm guessing they don't salt the roads there, so you spend the winter driving on packed snow covered in sand. Northern Ontario, where I am from, is like that. In the Toronto area (which is somewhat warmer), salt is used extensively, and road are very rarely snow-covered for long. Even little suburban side roads will be bare pavement 2 or 3 days after a major snowfall, and it's not like it snows every day here. So for most of the winter, I'm driving studable snow/ice tires with ridiculously deep tread block, which are actually pretty fun in the snow, on dry pavement. They're GT Radial Champiro Icepro tires, which came with the used wheels I bought and were barely used. I was skeptical of them, but since I can often outmaneuver AWD vehicles with winter tires in heavy snow in my "lowly" Dart, I guess they're not too terrible. Their dry and wet pavement grip leaves something to be desired, though, so overall I'm not convinced they offer a safer driving experience in the winter. Even with brand new brakes, these tires massively degrade my Dart's braking performance, and it's not hard to get the stability control to kick in with some moderately hard cornering.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Main roads are plowed, salted and sanded when it's ice, most of the time they are clear of snow and ice. Side or rural roads are just plowed moslly unless it turns to ice then they are sanded. Rarely see the bare pavement. The tires seem fine on clear or wet roads, so maybe it's the tires you have. Hardly ever have the traction light go on. Since the tire size is exactly the same on both winter and summer tires, no difference in braking. Today drove on about 6 inches of fresh snow before it was plowed, no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts