Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. I tried to trade in my Dart.. What would they give me for trade? I purchased it almost exactly 1 year ago with 17k miles on it for $14.2k which was a steal because I talked them down from 16.5k and the book value was right around 16k for the car at the time. If you look at my signature, you can see that the MSRP was $24,320..

So the original depreciation at purchase had been $8k in 4 years.. Now get this.

With 52k miles on him, they wanted to give me drum roll - $7,000 dollars in trade. Yes you read that right. And it's a GT model with all the trims sans what's extra in the limited.

That means the damn thing has depreciated $9k in the past year. I know mileage counts. Trust me I get all that. But DAMN! 9k? And for me, that accounts for 7.2k on a 5 year loan, which means even though I paid 3k toward it in the past year, I am STILL 3k in the hole.

All I have to say is.. I hope you guys love your Darts.. I'm going to end up basically rolling the difference into another vehicle. It's just hard to stomach. And I love my Dart. I really do, but damn does this hurt. And my heart goes out to you guys that purchased new or a year after original purchase because your probably way more under than I am in the loan..

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I haven't been on here in a while so I apologize for not just editing the top post. But why is it... That the same Dart (2014 GT) with the same mileage sells for $12.5k, yet the trade in is so low? They offered me 9k after I told them it wouldn't work but I still don't get that. I understand 10 to 11k, but this just seems horrible. And I'm curious how this trade in value actually works with sites like KBB and NADA...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I haven't been on here in a while so I apologize for not just editing the top post. But why is it... That the same Dart (2014 GT) with the same mileage sells for $12.5k, yet the trade in is so low? They offered me 9k after I told them it wouldn't work but I still don't get that. I understand 10 to 11k, but this just seems horrible. And I'm curious how this trade in value actually works with sites like KBB and NADA...
Because the dealer cushions in money to make possible repairs so they can resell it, has to spend administrative time selling it and is in the business of making money. Wants to out you through the ringer. The dealer may also just throw it to auction.

The best thing you can do is say you have no trade in, negotiate the price you want on the new vehicle, and then say you change your mind and have a trade in.

They want to maximize profit. Also, it does nott help that the Dart is a dead platform so it makes it much less desirable in resale. From the start I planned on owning my Dart for years and years. Because I really like it (especially the 6 speed), but my favorite car is the one that is paid for. Nothing better than a MI thly payment of $0. Car dealers are not tricking me I to a cycle of a new car every 2 to 3 years. A money pit in my opinion.

Boy... my old man age is really showing in this post...

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The only way to get your moneys worth for any car is to keep it as long as you can. I know I'm way ahead keeping Neons over 20 years. The longer you keep it, the better you get at diagnosing and fixing it. If you fix it yourself, you save even more. So keep it, don't sell it in until it's ready for the junkyard.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
So.. I tried to trade in my Dart.. What would they give me for trade? I purchased it almost exactly 1 year ago with 17k miles on it for $14.2k which was a steal because I talked them down from 16.5k and the book value was right around 16k for the car at the time. If you look at my signature, you can see that the MSRP was $24,320..

So the original depreciation at purchase had been $8k in 4 years.. Now get this.

With 52k miles on him, they wanted to give me drum roll - $7,000 dollars in trade. Yes you read that right. And it's a GT model with all the trims sans what's extra in the limited.

That means the damn thing has depreciated $9k in the past year. I know mileage counts. Trust me I get all that. But DAMN! 9k? And for me, that accounts for 7.2k on a 5 year loan, which means even though I paid 3k toward it in the past year, I am STILL 3k in the hole.

All I have to say is.. I hope you guys love your Darts.. I'm going to end up basically rolling the difference into another vehicle. It's just hard to stomach. And I love my Dart. I really do, but damn does this hurt. And my heart goes out to you guys that purchased new or a year after original purchase because your probably way more under than I am in the loan..
I just did a quick check, and I could buy a fully loaded 2014 Dart GT automatic (which is worth more than a manual) with 128K kms (pretty average for a 2014) for CAD $9,999.00 (about USD $7,500.00) fully certified from a nearby dealership. Whoever traded that car in probably got no more than CAD $5,000.00 for it.

Canada might be a bit different, though. The Dart is one of the worst selling mass-market vehicles in Canadian history. In 2015/16 model years it was often selling less than 100 units per month for the entire country. Darts are effectively worthless in Canada, and I have heard that some dealers won't even take them as trades or will basically just offer to take it off your hands for pretty much nothing. I will definitely be following @alpinegreenneon 's philosophy and hanging on to mine until it is basically scrap metal.

Also, your car didn't actually depreciate by $9K. The dealership that is offering you $7K will likely put it up for sale with a sticker price $11-12K. There is a big difference between trade-in value and resale value. If you are planning on getting out of your Dart and into something else, your best bet would be to sell it yourself privately rather than trading it into a dealership that has to build in the costs of servicing, certifying, and making a decent profit into their offer. Dealer trade-ins are popular because they are easy, convenient, and hassle-free. And like anything else, you pay for that convenience.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We bought ours at an auction for under 5G. We used insurance money from a previously totaled car so we weren't out any money at all. I haven't dealt with a dealer to purchase a car in at least 15 years because they're crooks. They rob you on trade-ins and repairs. I understand that they have to make money, but in a lot of cases they cross over the line of making a fair profit and gouge their customers.

·
Registered
712 Posts
We bought ours at an auction for under 5G. We used insurance money from a previously totaled car so we weren't out any money at all. I haven't dealt with a dealer to purchase a car in at least 15 years because they're crooks. They rob you on trade-ins and repairs. I understand that they have to make money, but in a lot of cases they cross over the line of making a fair profit and gouge their customers.
How/where do you go to auction?

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I'm with ya buddy! Looking at Dart prices in my year and mileage, I'm guessing I'd get about $3k to $5k in trade-in. If by some miracle I can get more than that I'd like to trade in for a ford fiesta st or a focus st. But my gut tells me my best bet right now is to keep it until it rolls 250,000 miles and has more replacement parts than original, then I'll try and part out what I can before pulling the lever and crushing it myself.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'm with ya buddy! Looking at Dart prices in my year and mileage, I'm guessing I'd get about $3k to $5k in trade-in. If by some miracle I can get more than that I'd like to trade in for a ford fiesta st or a focus st. But my gut tells me my best bet right now is to keep it until it rolls 250,000 miles and has more replacement parts than original, then I'll try and part out what I can before pulling the lever and crushing it myself.
A Fiesta St is a unicorn. Was trying to find one at the same time I was looking for my Dart. Nowhere to be found (or at least when/where I was looking).

·
Registered
94 Posts
How/where do you go to auction?
It's an outfit called Musser Brothers Auction. They have them monthly here in the Tri Cities area.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
A Fiesta St is a unicorn. Was trying to find one at the same time I was looking for my Dart. Nowhere to be found (or at least when/where I was looking).

Fiesta STs don't seem to be too hard to find in the Toronto area, but they aren't especially cheap, and most appear to be private sales, which are consistently higher-priced than what dealers sell them for. I'd definitely need to sit in one to make sure I fit in the seats. Small cars with large shoulder bolsters don't often work out well for me, and in Canada all STs come with the Recaro seats. Also, if I'm not mistaken, autocrossing revealed that the Fiesta ST can be rolled much more easily than most cars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought mine off the lot in 2015. It only has about 50k miles and i've only been offered around $5-$6k for the car. The depreciation value of this car is pretty sad :/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought a 2015 a fairly loaded SXT version(8.7 inch UConnect w/backup camera, Blacked out 18 inch wheels, sway bar etc) with 65k miles for 4500. Did have a cracked windshield and a tire sensor that needed replaced. I jumped on it quick without doing any research into darts. I feel like I got a steal tho, any Civic with all that would go for 15+ easily. Definitely dont hold their value well, they have a reputation for being unreliable it seems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bought a 2015 a fairly loaded SXT version(8.7 inch UConnect w/backup camera, Blacked out 18 inch wheels, sway bar etc) with 65k miles for 4500. Did have a cracked windshield and a tire sensor that needed replaced. I jumped on it quick without doing any research into darts. I feel like I got a steal tho, any Civic with all that would go for 15+ easily. Definitely dont hold their value well, they have a reputation for being unreliable it seems.
I have the same package as you lol. the car itself is decent, cant complain. But it really doesn't hold its value.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just traded my 15 Dart SE with 43,000 miles on it in for a 2016 Dart SE with the Rallye package on it with 12,000 on it and only got about $4.5k for my trade. My payment only went up $18 a month and thats only because I only included tint in on the deal. I think before the trade in I was at $10k for the newer Dart lol. It does help that I work at the dealership lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought mine knowing it wouldn't hold it's value like some other compacts might. But I enjoy it just the same, and that's what is important to me. I don't plan on trading it in for several years, though, by which time I think it'll more or less even out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought mine knowing it wouldn't hold it's value like some other compacts might. But I enjoy it just the same, and that's what is important to me. I don't plan on trading it in for several years, though, by which time I think it'll more or less even out.
I originally planned to keep mine for as long as possible. But after seeing how much the car is actually worth and the issues its given me, i have decided to finally sell it and get myself something fresh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
Seth2569
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing