Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is bonkers to me. You can ONLY get the 1.4Turbo MultiAir in the Aero Dart. Otherwise known, in my eyes, as the crap Dart. Boring interior, no fancy pants features, small wheels. Boring. I would LOVE my 2.4 GT to have the option of a Turbo kit, or the ability to trade my GT in for a '15 1.4Turbo GT. Anyone else think FCA is SLIGHTLY bonkers with this idea?!?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Collenstone and I both are working with two different vendors to develop turbo kits for the 2.4L as we speak. It will still be a month or so before we're finished as both our cars are our daily drivers, but I think the results will be great.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Couple hundred threads to be found about why not. If it wasn't for satisfying various government mandates, bigger blocks can be tuned and "set up" right from the factory, naturally aspirated, and will easily fit into small car to medium car segments. I say, if you as an individual want good gas mileage, just drive like there's an egg under your foot. But people refuse to drive like that. So you got Mustangs and coming Camaros with wee engines & turbos. We should pay engineers like some farmers are paid - not to grow crops. It's gotten to the point where engineers and bean counters are running the car business. Just ask Sergio himself.
He's been quoted as sort of saying Enough Is Enough !!!! :)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
This is bonkers to me. You can ONLY get the 1.4Turbo MultiAir in the Aero Dart. Otherwise known, in my eyes, as the crap Dart. Boring interior, no fancy pants features, small wheels. Boring. I would LOVE my 2.4 GT to have the option of a Turbo kit, or the ability to trade my GT in for a '15 1.4Turbo GT. Anyone else think FCA is SLIGHTLY bonkers with this idea?!?
When the dart debuted the 1.4t was available on most platforms, the GT was the ONLY engine with the 2.4 and was the "performance" model. Then the following year the 1.4t was dropped to just the aero and the 2.4 was relegated to the base engine available on all platforms.

I for one prefer how things were in 2013 and think the decisions they have made for the dart havent been very good. (Removal of sd card/ambient lighting/colors/seat storage) and the complete dropping of support by mopar after all the promises they made makes me wonder what they are thinking.

Reactions: youngsmith53

·
Registered
209 Posts
the 1.4 is a fuel economy engine- was not really designed for performance- although the aftermarket parts think otherwise
I would tend to disagree. 2013 1.4T Rallye's such as mine were highly performance orientated. To the best of my knowledge, 2013 was the only year you could get the 1.4T with the dual exhaust. With respect the exhaust note; the 2.4 cannot hold a candle to the 1.4T/dual exhaust darts.

Also, given that the Dart is on the heavier side of the class, the higher mid-range torque is thoroughly more pleasant than the 2.4L. The 1.4T pulls longer and harder so long as the rpm is at 2000+. The 2.4, while much more well rounded, doesn't have the indycar-esque push to pass explosion of torque that the 1.4T has.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The 1.4T was made for fuel economy and was mandatory for FCA to meet their fuel economy average. Nobody would use a 1.4 liter engine as a "performance" engine. It's already maxed out as it is. When you are at near 20psi stock, that tells you something right there.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
The 1.4T was made for fuel economy and was mandatory for FCA to meet their fuel economy average. Nobody would use a 1.4 liter engine as a "performance" engine. It's already maxed out as it is. When you are at near 20psi stock, that tells you something right there.
i've seen 1.4l motors hit 300hp and be reliable dd

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would tend to disagree. 2013 1.4T Rallye's such as mine were highly performance orientated. To the best of my knowledge, 2013 was the only year you could get the 1.4T with the dual exhaust. With respect the exhaust note; the 2.4 cannot hold a candle to the 1.4T/dual exhaust darts.

Also, given that the Dart is on the heavier side of the class, the higher mid-range torque is thoroughly more pleasant than the 2.4L. The 1.4T pulls longer and harder so long as the rpm is at 2000+. The 2.4, while much more well rounded, doesn't have the indycar-esque push to pass explosion of torque that the 1.4T has.

we can at least agree to disagree. I am a Chrysler tech for the last 20 years and I know the ins and outs of the Dart. The aftermarket embraced the turbo 1.4 because of the potential it could have. Chrysler never intended the 1.4 to be a rocket- it was put out to keep the CAFE numbers good and to look good in advertising with the 40mpg claim.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The 2.4 and 1.4 are very evenly matched power wise and 1/4 mile/ 0 to 60 times bear that out and although both motors are good performers they are no match when compared to the really potent 4s. I am surprised a 2.4 turbo hasn't been developed as it would be the logical choice to make a really potent Dart.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts