Dodge Dart Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
Not sure where you get 75K, the owners manual in my Fiat says 150,000.
I'm not sure where this idea started. Perhaps Fiat had a different maintenance schedule for the 1.4L engine in Europe, but all North American Fiat 500 owner's manuals state that the timing belt is due for replacement at 150K miles. Every Fiat 500 in North America (until the 500X) has always used the 1.4L MultiAir, whether turbocharged or not. That's not necessarily the case in Europe, where I believe a DOHC 1.4L VVT was used for a long time.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm not sure where this idea started. Perhaps Fiat had a different maintenance schedule for the 1.4L engine in Europe, but all North American Fiat 500 owner's manuals state that the timing belt is due for replacement at 150K miles. Every Fiat 500 in North America (until the 500X) has always used the 1.4L MultiAir, whether turbocharged or not. That's not necessarily the case in Europe, where I believe a DOHC 1.4L VVT was used for a long time.
Funnily enough - I always assumed it was at 100k...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I just checked the FSM for timing belt replacement for the 1.4L turbo MultiAir. It's 150k miles (240k Kilometers) or 15 years.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yep I have changed it more than 20 times because I kept screwing it up.
Learned all sorts of short cuts.
Worst part is having remove and reinstall the passenger side motor mount.
Other than that its pretty easy.

Oh and I did it more than 10 times in a gravel and dirt parking lot, with only tools that I had in small bag.
PM me if you need help, or have questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, make sure u have the special tool to set the timing belt. It is way different from normal timing by #1 cylinder not being at TDC. Yes the motor mounts was among the hardest at first. Remember the head composes of 3 different parts

·
Registered
14 Posts
So in reference to the "timing belt failure" thread in the 1.4 forum, its now on my mind and i'm just over 70,000 miles on my '13 6-speed and I'm scared to death to allow dealer techs open my engine up in any way for something like this...especially after they royally half assed the slave cylinder job for my clutch 2 years ago.
But anyways, I know some benz techs that I would trust with my car and may ask them.

So, has anyone replaced their belt yet before failure on your 1.4? If so, what mileage? What did it cost you? I know the manual says 150,000 miles, but reading that other thread, Fiat says 75,000 for the same 1.4...how can that be?

Thanks
I did change the belt and tensioner myself at about 120K. It wasn’t as difficult as I thought. Relatively inexpensive. I ordered through Online Mopar Parts.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I did change the belt and tensioner myself at about 120K. It wasn’t as difficult as I thought. Relatively inexpensive. I ordered through Online Mopar Parts.
Did you follow the procedure and get the special tools?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Has anyone have alot of issues with misfire and it not be the spark plugs, coil packs or any minor fixes??
What codes are you getting? Check your compression and let us know the numbers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What codes are you getting? Check your compression and let us know the numbers.
I'm not sure, it is at the dealership. It was running rough, I replaced the head gasket, and new seals on head. Started it up and still ran rough. Replaced the ECU,( thinking it wasnt sending signal to the injectors.) Still running rough... possibly the VVA??

·
Registered
759 Posts
Anyone have a ballpark idea of what this service generally costs at the dealer? I feel like I could do the job, but I just don't have the time to do it, and if something were to go bad, I can't be buying a new car. Im at 101K now, so figured I'd get it done soon.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
For the $800 or more that the dealer will charge you, it makes sense to make time, buy the amazon tool kit and do it yourself. When you are done, sell the tool kit on the for sale forum. Your wallet will thank you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Best advice:
IF you don't have the time.
Meaning you need your car.
and
You don't know what you would be getting into.

Save your sanity, pride, and time and pay the dealer to do the work.
You could spend more through lost time alone, by not having the right tools, paying for extended car rentals, buying the wrong parts, etc.

If you have the time, and a spare car.
Then by all means save some money and DIY.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Best advice:
IF you don't have the time.
Meaning you need your car.
and
You don't know what you would be getting into.

Save your sanity, pride, and time and pay the dealer to do the work.
You could spend more through lost time alone, by not having the right tools, paying for extended car rentals, buying the wrong parts, etc.

If you have the time, and a spare car.
Then by all means save some money and DIY.
Perhaps @captaingowa should post a link about the problem he had and perhaps others won't have the same issue.
Here it is:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts