Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in reference to the "timing belt failure" thread in the 1.4 forum, its now on my mind and i'm just over 70,000 miles on my '13 6-speed and I'm scared to death to allow dealer techs open my engine up in any way for something like this...especially after they royally half assed the slave cylinder job for my clutch 2 years ago.
But anyways, I know some benz techs that I would trust with my car and may ask them.

So, has anyone replaced their belt yet before failure on your 1.4? If so, what mileage? What did it cost you? I know the manual says 150,000 miles, but reading that other thread, Fiat says 75,000 for the same 1.4...how can that be?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
So in reference to the "timing belt failure" thread in the 1.4 forum, its now on my mind and i'm just over 70,000 miles on my '13 6-speed and I'm scared to death to allow dealer techs open my engine up in any way for something like this...especially after they royally half assed the slave cylinder job for my clutch 2 years ago.
But anyways, I know some benz techs that I would trust with my car and may ask them.

So, has anyone replaced their belt yet before failure on your 1.4? If so, what mileage? What did it cost you? I know the manual says 150,000 miles, but reading that other thread, Fiat says 75,000 for the same 1.4...how can that be?

Thanks
I dont know of anyone who has replaced the timing belt themselves... I think you have to have special tools in order to do this job. As for the difference in the mileage, i would go by the FIAT number as the 1.4T is a FIAT engine, whereas the 2.0 & 2.4 are Chrysler engines.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just bumping my old thread to see if anyone has done this since...

I'm approacing 90k miles and my technician buds dont want to touch it. its looking like my only option is to let the dealer do it. When i asked the sales manager at the place i bought it if he could talk to his service dept about it, he said they havent done one yet for a 1.4 dart. That concerned me considering they screwed up my clutch slave cylinder a few years back that turned into a big mess with me having to get Chrysler involved.

This is the last time i buy a car with a timing belt!

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
just bumping my old thread to see if anyone has done this since...

I'm approacing 90k miles and my technician buds dont want to touch it. its looking like my only option is to let the dealer do it. When i asked the sales manager at the place i bought it if he could talk to his service dept about it, he said they havent done one yet for a 1.4 dart. That concerned me considering they screwed up my clutch slave cylinder a few years back that turned into a big mess with me having to get Chrysler involved.

This is the last time i buy a car with a timing belt!
@alpinegreenneon posted the procedure in this thread:

http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-1-4l-multiair-turbo/39842-timing-belt-failure.html

It's not exactly a novice job for a DIYer in the driveway, I guess, but it also doesn't look to be uniquely challenging. If your technician buddies are comfortable changing a timing belt and have the correct tools to do it, yours should present no special problems. The same goes for the dealership. They do everything "by the book" there anyway, so they would just follow the official procedure step by step.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
@alpinegreenneon posted the procedure in this thread:

http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-1-4l-multiair-turbo/39842-timing-belt-failure.html

It's not exactly a novice job for a DIYer in the driveway, I guess, but it also doesn't look to be uniquely challenging. If your technician buddies are comfortable changing a timing belt and have the correct tools to do it, yours should present no special problems. The same goes for the dealership. They do everything "by the book" there anyway, so they would just follow the official procedure step by step.

Except most work on flat rate and since its been the first time they are doing it they probably will not make any money off of it and and and.....

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm in the middle of changing the timing belt on my dart.. it's tedious because of all the nonsense you have to do before hand.

Oh and in be ready to replace any plastic connectors that you may break.

I have come the conclusion that the 1.4 liter engine in the Dart was engineered and casted in Murphy's Law.

For those that dont know...
https://www.google.com/search?num=50&client=ms-android-samsung&ei=NgXgWa3pPIfBmwHDp5-4Dg&q=murphy's+law&oq=murphys+la&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.0.0i10k1l5.12922.15400.0.16203.12.12.0.3.3.0.377.2648.2-8j2.11.0....0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-serp..2.9.1798.0..0j0i67k1j0i131k1j0i131i67k1.190.D_sXN_WWLzQ

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm at 128k miles and have changed the belt.. It had fine cracks in it from the extreme cold of North Country NY and heat from the engine.
I would recommend on the safe side 120 to 130 thousand miles. You could also go by the manufacture recommendation, however ... my car .. has often seen -40 degree weather.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Been looking at the tools required and I noticed the tools listed for the Fiat 1.4l are a third of the price as the ones listed for the Dodge. Why the difference? Anyone know if they would work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Been looking at the tools required and I noticed the tools listed for the Fiat 1.4l are a third of the price as the ones listed for the Dodge. Why the difference? Anyone know if they would work?

How about a link to where you are seeing the Fiat 1.4L tools?

If you are referring to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Timing-camshaft-crankshaft-locking/dp/B00CBSTLBI

The tool for holding the camshaft sprocket looks a little different. It might work. Price is right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How about a link to where you are seeing the Fiat 1.4L tools?

If you are referring to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Timing-camshaft-crankshaft-locking/dp/B00CBSTLBI

The tool for holding the camshaft sprocket looks a little different. It might work. Price is right.
That one and similar items on eBay are what I was referring too. I seen them while looking up the part numbers listed for the Dart. Seem very similar

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
If it doesn't work, I'm sure Amazon would let you return it. Since it is also for the 1.2L Fiat, that could explain why the triangular tool has a slightly different shape. It's probably from Europe where there are a lot more Fiats and therefore more demand for an inexpensive tool set. If I had a 1.4L, I would get it. Let us know if you get it and how it works. It says British Tools is the supplier and if it is from Britain, that's why it has a $32 shipping cost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it doesn't work, I'm sure Amazon would let you return it. Since it is also for the 1.2L Fiat, that could explain why the triangular tool has a slightly different shape. It's probably from Europe where there are a lot more Fiats and therefore more demand for an inexpensive tool set. If I had a 1.4L, I would get it. Let us know if you get it and how it works. It says British Tools is the supplier and if it is from Britain, that's why it has a $32 shipping cost.
I saw this one on eBay that had a shape more like what I saw for the Dart. It's $139 with the $29 shipping.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I saw this one on eBay that had a shape more like what I saw for the Dart. It's $139 with the $29 shipping.

The Amazon set is less money and appears to have more tools in the kit. Not sure, but one of the additonal tools looks like a flywheel lock and the other a camshaft sprocket holder.

·
Registered
120 Posts

The Amazon set is less money and appears to have more tools in the kit. Not sure, but one of the additonal tools looks like a flywheel lock and the other a camshaft sprocket holder.
You are correct sir. Saw the same kit when looking for the Miller tool 9707. Per their description.

This kit is for locking the camshaft and crankshaft in place while you change the timing belt and perform other repairs on Fiat engines. Kit consists of crankshaft locking tool, camshaft setting plate and belt tensioner adjuster for the 1.2 engine, and additional sprocket locking tool and alignment fixture for the camshaft on the 1.4 VVT engine. Models: Fiat 500 (2007-2008) Fiat Idea (2004-2008) Fiat Linea (2007-2008) Fiat Grande Punto (2007-2008) Fiat Doblo (2005-2008) Fiat Panda EVO2 (2005-2008) Engines: 1.2 8V / 169A4.000, 199A4.000 1.2 8V / 188A4.000 (EVO2) .4 16V / 350A1.000

1 - 20 of 37 Posts