Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's done an oil change and can report what is involved with the Cartridge filter's on the 1.4's

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oh. I'm new to this style filter. Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
He is the man!!! I'm glad he is on our side. He has been a lot of help on here.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Approx 1/2 qt remains in filter housing until filter is removed. Once removed, it drains into the crankcase.
Hey Fnky can you post the page in the SM on filter change in the 1.4?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Run the engine until achieving normal operating temperature.
Position the vehicle on a level surface and turn the engine off.
Remove the engine cover.

CAUTION: When performing an engine oil change, the oil filter cap must be removed. Removing the oil filter cap releases oil held within the oil filter cavity and allows it to drain into the sump. Failure to remove the cap prior to reinstallation of the drain plug will not allow complete draining of the used engine oil.

Place an oil absorbent cloth around the oil filter housing at the base of the oil filter cap.

NOTE: The oil filter is attached to the oil filter cap.

Rotate the oil filter cap counterclockwise and remove the cap and filter from the oil filter housing.
Raise and support the vehicle.
Place a suitable drain pan under the crankcase drain plug.
Remove the drain plug from oil pan and allow the oil to drain into the pan. Inspect the drain plug threads for stretching or other damage. Replace the drain plug and gasket if damaged.
Install the drain plug in the oil pan and tighten to 27 N·m (20 ft. lbs.).
Lower the vehicle.
Remove the oil filter from the oil filter cap.
Remove and discard the O-ring seal.

NOTE: It is not necessary to pre-oil the oil filter or fill the oil filter housing.

Lightly lubricate the new O-ring seal with clean engine oil.
Install the O-ring seal on the filter cap.
Install the new oil filter into the oil filter cap.
Thread the oil filter cap into the oil filter housing and tighten to 25 N·m (18 ft. lbs.).
Remove the oil fill cap. Fill the crankcase with the specified type and amount of engine oil.
Install the oil fill cap.
Start the engine and inspect for leaks.
Stop the engine and check the oil level.
Install the engine cover.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was thinking of getting one of the oil suction pumps that pull the oil out through the dipstick for doing oil changes. Since the filter is accessible from the top, this would mean no crawling under the car to change the oil. Does anyone have experience with these? It seems to me you'd need to leave the filter in place when using one of these. Or maybe you'd replace the filter first or release and then retighten the old one back in place, to drain the oil out of it, before pumping the oil out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was thinking of getting one of the oil suction pumps that pull the oil out through the dipstick for doing oil changes. Since the filter is accessible from the top, this would mean no crawling under the car to change the oil. Does anyone have experience with these? It seems to me you'd need to leave the filter in place when using one of these. Or maybe you'd replace the filter first or release and then retighten the old one back in place, to drain the oil out of it, before pumping the oil out.
if you're using one of these:

the suction tube goes all the way to the bottom of the pan and does not need to be sealed. remove the filter, then suck the oil out.
since the tube is quite narrow to fit inside the dipstick tube, it'll work better if oil is hot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have changed the oil myself and it wasn't messy at all. I drained the oil first then slightly loosened oil filter cap to allow oil to drain out. When removing the oil filter completely I just turned it over quickly and don't think I spilled a drop. Easy peasy. Now I just need to get the filters from Steve Whites Parts and I'll be good to go.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts