Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on exactly what the whining sound in these videos is (hopefully you can hear it)? It has become very pronounced since yesterday. It sounds like it's coming from the driver's side of the engine, so my guess is it's something difficult or expensive like the timing belt/water pump.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
Driver's side is the transaxle and from the video, the noise is from the passenger side. Most likely, the serpentine belt and tensioner.

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Driver's side is the transaxle and from the video, the noise is from the passenger side. Most likely, the serpentine belt and tensioner.
It's possible, my hearing isn't the greatest and it's not easy to locate a given sound under the hood because of how loud the MultiAir is. Well, that's at least a lot easier than the timing belt. Do you happen to have the procedure for replacing the tensioner pulley for the 1.4T?

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
It's possible, my hearing isn't the greatest and it's not easy to locate a given sound under the hood because of how loud the MultiAir is. Well, that's at least a lot easier than the timing belt. Do you happen to have the procedure for replacing the tensioner pulley for the 1.4T?
I might have posted that procedure before. I'm away from home and the FSM for a week. If you can't find it, I'll post then.
Edit:
Look at the tensioner and figure out how to loosen the belt. Slide the belt off and then turn each accessory pulley by hand. Listen for any bearing noise.

Reactions: jsblanch

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
man that thing sounds like a diesel with all that ticking and noise. I would say that it could also be a belt, have you changed the belt from the oem belt?

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man that thing sounds like a diesel with all that ticking and noise. I would say that it could also be a belt, have you changed the belt from the oem belt?
Yeah, with the hood open it sounds a lot like a small VW diesel. That's the biggest flaw with MultiAir. Well, that and it has more failure points than a camshaft.

I have a new belt and tensioner on order that I should get this week. The OEM belt looks to be in perfect condition visually, but whatever, it's a cheap part and I have to remove the old one anyway. The car is currently parked until I get this sorted out (the noise seems to get worse every time I start it). I'm really just hoping it's something on the accessory belt and not the water pump or timing belt tensioner pulley. Replacing the timing belt on the 1.4T Dart is a big job, with a number of steps that just don't seem obvious (like disconnecting or removing all 3 engine mounts and fully draining the cooling system). It's not beyond my abilities, but it's not the kind of thing you can do in your driveway with Canadian winter approaching. So if that's the problem, I will probably have to suck it up and pay the dealership to do it, because I don't want my car parked until May. I have no issues with my local dealer, they've been good to my car when they've had it, but their labor charge is obviously high. The thing is, the Dart is not a very common car here, and I don't expect most independents have done a timing belt replacement.

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So how freely should the tensioner pulley turn? I managed to get the belt off, and the tensioner pulley on the car spins a lot more freely than the new one I ordered. Also, I managed to break a completely unrelated line on the top of the engine (it's the hard plastic evap line that connects to the intake and cold side pipe, it must have gotten more brittle because it just snapped when I accidentally pushed a bit on it while I was trying to get a look at the pulleys from above) so I can't even fire up the car to see if it stops making the noise without the serpentine belt. There's another week and $70 wasted (it's on backorder). Irritating, but at least I'm not without a vehicle, having my not-so-beloved Grand Caravan and all.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
Are you getting your parts online or through a local dealer? Sometimes eBay may have better prices. Did you try rotating the other accessory pulleys? A new part will be tighter. Any wobble or bearing noise is what you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you getting your parts online or through a local dealer? Sometimes eBay may have better prices. Did you try rotating the other accessory pulleys? A new part will be tighter. Any wobble or bearing noise is what you're looking for.
This is Canada. Buying parts for a Dart online isn't really a thing here (and definitely not from eBay). I could have gotten it cheaper from Rock Auto, but I would have waited longer. I didn't have time to check all the other pulleys yet, I'll be doing that tonight. I was already 45 minutes late getting back to work from lunch. I was looking at the line that broke and I might be able to cobble something together to hook it back up so that I can at least start the car and see if it's making noise without the serpentine belt installed.

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it's not any of the pulleys on the serpentine. After cobbling up a solution for the broken line (I zip-tied an inch 3/8" ID tubing to it), I started the car without the serpentine belt and... it sounded exactly the same. At this point, I can only assume it's either the water pump or the tensioner for the timing belt. Now I need to decide what to do about it. I assume it's going to be an absurdly expensive dealer repair, but I don't trust an independent mechanic who may have never seen under the hood of a 1.4T Dart.

While I'd love to do the work myself (and maybe replace the engine/transmission mounts), it's probably something that would take me at least a couple of full days and, as they say, winter is coming. It was snowing this morning, and getting the serpentine belt re-installed wasn't made easier with my fingers getting stiff from the cold. I don't think waiting until May/June is a great idea either (my car would be sitting outside unused all that time).

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
07 - Cooling / Accessory Drive / TENSIONER, Belt / Removal

1.4L

NOTE: The belt and tensioner can be removed from the top of the vehicle. Hoisting of the vehicle is not necessary.

1.Remove the air cleaner assembly (Refer to 09 - Engine/Air Intake System/AIR CLEANER/Removal)

CAUTION:
Do not let the tensioner arm snapback to the fully extended position, severe damage may occur to the tensioner.

2.Rotate the belt tensioner center bolt (2) counterclockwise.

3.Remove the serpentine belt (3).

4.Remove the tensioner mounting bolt (1).

5.Remove the tensioner from the vehicle

Reactions: jsblanch

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I've replaced the vacuum line I broke and ran the car for a while to make sure everything was seated properly. No problems there, but the noise is louder than ever, and I'm pretty sure it is coming from the driver's side toward the back of the engine, where the arrow is pointing.

I also took a couple more videos. I really wish the MultiAir clatter wasn't so infernally loud, it makes it really hard to identify other noises. You will notice the sound is different in the second video. It changed suddenly a few seconds after I stopped recording the first one. I'm sort of losing my mind over where this sound is coming from. The noise increases in pitch with engine RPM like a pulley, but it just doesn't sound like it's coming from where the belts and pulleys are.

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just bumping this to see if anybody has any suggestions about the source of the noise. If I can't even sort out what the problem is, I'm certainly not going to trust myself to start tearing anything apart.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
The brake vacuum pump is on that side driven by the camshaft. Another possibility is the hydraulic pump motor for the DDCT. If you have a piece of garden hose, you could use it to listen more directly by placing one end at your ear and the other end on different areas like the pump motor or the vacuum pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts