Dodge Dart Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
It does sound exactly like mine, though, and this is the thread I started for my DDCT woes, sooo... It's all good, though, I really hope the hydraulic control unit solves my problem. Also, I hope I can figure out how to replace it, since nobody seems to have any answers to my questions. I'm not entirely shocked, most people give up when the DDCT goes awry. It's definitely not an appropriate transmission for an entry-level value-driven compact sedan. It is much better suited to a car like the Alfa Romeo 4C (where it is just as unreliable, but even more fun).

do this sounds ever pulse for you? or was it always a consistent sound?

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
do this sounds ever pulse for you? or was it always a consistent sound?
It was pretty constant, and certainly didn't "pulse". It would sometime go away briefly while shifting or at certain speeds. It was probably what @alpinegreenneon said, the shift actuation mechanism. One is outside the transmission but appears rather challenging to replace, and the other requires removal and disassembly of the DDCT to access. You can spend a truckload of money throwing parts at the DDCT transmission without getting anywhere, unfortunately.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It was pretty constant, and certainly didn't "pulse". It would sometime go away briefly while shifting or at certain speeds. It was probably what @alpinegreenneon said, the shift actuation mechanism. One is outside the transmission but appears rather challenging to replace, and the other requires removal and disassembly of the DDCT to access. You can spend a truckload of money throwing parts at the DDCT transmission without getting anywhere, unfortunately.
sounds good. thanks yea ive had this pulse that sounds similiar and it does seem like its coming from the tranny. cold weather almost makes it seem louder and have no clue what it is. also seems to go away or at least go too quiet to hear after the car has been driven. i linked the sound below if you have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
5,013 Posts
sounds good. thanks yea ive had this pulse that sounds similiar and it does seem like its coming from the tranny. cold weather almost makes it seem louder and have no clue what it is. also seems to go away or at least go too quiet to hear after the car has been driven. i linked the sound below if you have any ideas?

Your video says it is private.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·

You will have to make your video public, but I got rid of my Dart a month ago, so I won't be able to compare what yours is doing to the cacophony mine was making. It got a lot louder than in the videos I posted and sounded absolutely and uniquely awful. I'm honestly surprised you're still driving your Dart. From what I recall from your posts, you've had a variety of aggravating problems with it for years. The problem with DDCT-related issues is being able to do proper diagnostics. Hardly anybody wants to touch these things, and the dealership will just tell you that you need to replace the entire transmission and hydraulic system. Unfortunately, the cost of the C635 DDCT is more in line with a car like the Alfa Romeo 4C, which happens to use it. A car like the Dart really shouldn't have a transmission that costs 5 figures to replace.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You will have to make your video public, but I got rid of my Dart a month ago, so I won't be able to compare what yours is doing to the cacophony mine was making. It got a lot louder than in the videos I posted and sounded absolutely and uniquely awful. I'm honestly surprised you're still driving your Dart. From what I recall from your posts, you've had a variety of aggravating problems with it for years. The problem with DDCT-related issues is being able to do proper diagnostics. Hardly anybody wants to touch these things, and the dealership will just tell you that you need to replace the entire transmission and hydraulic system. Unfortunately, the cost of the C635 DDCT is more in line with a car like the Alfa Romeo 4C, which happens to use it. A car like the Dart really shouldn't have a transmission that costs 5 figures to replace.
should be able to watch now. and yes dart was a terrible car its truly unfortunate. ive had endlesss issues. and sadly this noise is the least of it. currently car is in limp mode with no code. 6psi max boost and no cruise control. ive tested the boost solenoid with 9v and its working. really just dont even know at this point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's an internal problem with the transmission. It concerns a pump relating to the dual clutch unfortunately Dodge doesn't like to repair this they just replace the transmission you can find used ones on line around 3to 500 bucks

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
It's an internal problem with the transmission. It concerns a pump relating to the dual clutch unfortunately Dodge doesn't like to repair this they just replace the transmission you can find used ones on line around 3to 500 bucks
Oh wow, my thread got resurrected. Anyway, my dealer was willing to take it apart and attempt a repair/rebuild, but it was going to be a minimum of $2K in labor for that. A replacement transmission was CAD $10K for the part alone. This isn't an easy fix if it's the pump on the outside of the transmission, unless you're a mechanic and have a shop to work in (still not easy, but easier). If it's the pump on the inside of the transmission, you need to remove and tear down the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
5,013 Posts
Looking at the FSM DDCT disassembly, I do not see an internal pump. It's like a manual transmission inside the gear case. The turning gears slosh the transmission fluid to keep everything lubed. The external pump moves the hydraulic fluid not the transmission fluid. The hydraulic fluid does the shifting controlled by the TCM.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts