Dodge Dart Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So, it's been awhile since I asked the question about the 500 and 500 Abarth in particular. I do not grasp what is "going on" here in the US. Technically, it is still made and offered. But they are all but forgotten at the local dealer, who does have a boatload of Spiders and Alfa vehicles. Is it a US thing where the 500 is avoided or is there a behind the scenes thing at FCA that is not reported at length?
Just wondering. As I do for so many vehicles and there current position in the market. It falls into the same category as the Toyota 86 and Sub BRZ. Although in those cases, there are some available on lots. Even though some are "new" 2017's while 2018's and 2019's are being sold/available. Weird stuff. And there is like Zero push money to unload a 2017. They sit. Outdoors. In the Sun. Since Summer of 2017 in some cases. Crazy.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
So, it's been awhile since I asked the question about the 500 and 500 Abarth in particular. I do not grasp what is "going on" here in the US. Technically, it is still made and offered. But they are all but forgotten at the local dealer, who does have a boatload of Spiders and Alfa vehicles. Is it a US thing where the 500 is avoided or is there a behind the scenes thing at FCA that is not reported at length?
Just wondering. As I do for so many vehicles and there current position in the market. It falls into the same category as the Toyota 86 and Sub BRZ. Although in those cases, there are some available on lots. Even though some are "new" 2017's while 2018's and 2019's are being sold/available. Weird stuff. And there is like Zero push money to unload a 2017. They sit. Outdoors. In the Sun. Since Summer of 2017 in some cases. Crazy.
The 500 never had a hope of succeeding in North America. It is a European car designed to meet European needs. There is really no niche on this side of the ocean for cars of that class to fill, or if there is it is too small to be worth catering to.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It's a small car just for people that want a small car, same people that want a mini or smart car, both very little sales actually going on. In sense it's just a car to be able to take over the very small car segments that don't sell well here but still there for people that want it. Any 500 sold is straight profit like the grand caravan and journey at this point, yes they sell more, but they are still made jsut to make some extra cash till the time comes.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
There's an old saying about old habits Dying Hard. So, is it a "Habit" that keeps a manufacturer using an engine platform like the 1.4T Multiair without bothering to tweak it in the least bit for HP gains in a "performance" segment, or is it just plain indifference to boosting sales by them spending a few bucks to make the associated upgrades required to handle increased HP & TQ ?
Specific examples of FCA "sleepy mode" are the Fiat 500 Abarth and the really important competition fighting Fiat Spider Abarth (or even lesser trims of Spider) .
The current sales issue for 2019 is that the Spider has received zero HP gains . Whereas, the Miata NA engine got a bump that everyone with a Summer Itch To Buy is noticing.
Context: If the Spider 1.4T got a bump up, the bump could be applied to the 500A in some small hope of selling a few without Gobs of Cash on the Dash.
The shame of the Spider situation is that it's body style looks more like what an American Buyer would buy if they're willing to sacrifice the interior small size in favor of a cool looking sports car. I see no contest there, appearance wise. But obviously FCA is asleep at the wheel, ignoring the possible sales bumps for small performance models while raking in the cash for the pre-apocalyptic run on 4x4 survival vehicles.

​Now mind you, members of the Dart Forum...... there is absolutely no need for any responses to the above observation. I'm merely stating the obvious - for posterity .

·
Registered
232 Posts
Man, is this forum still alive? I hardly even see any Darts on the road anymore around here, maybe one or twice a week. I do see Fiats of all kinds many times a day, including the one in my driveway.:)

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Man, is this forum still alive? I hardly even see any Darts on the road anymore around here, maybe one or twice a week. I do see Fiats of all kinds many times a day, including the one in my driveway.:)
Lots of Darts here in Pa. Not so many Fiat 500's of any trim and no visible Spiders . Based on my average daily drives both local and up to 50 miles out. Except on the local single Fiat dealer lot...... they have alot of inventory of alot of cars that I do not see anywhere on my local roads & parking lots. Including Alphas . I've seen a fare share of Ferraris, Lambos,Maserattis, even a few Astons. But never ever ever a 4C.

·
Registered
715 Posts
There's an old saying about old habits Dying Hard. So, is it a "Habit" that keeps a manufacturer using an engine platform like the 1.4T Multiair without bothering to tweak it in the least bit for HP gains in a "performance" segment
Few reasons why.
1. The 1.4 is dying, the have a 1.3 coming out that's based off of the 2.0t and will be in the renegade(1.3t, probably the 500x and 500l too at some point) this year coming up and the 2.0 is already in the cherokee and wrangler.
2. The spyder might be dead since mazda is now in bed with toyota and we have no idea the future.
3. The 500 is going electric next gen apparently and is already in it's own league in the states so no need to throw money at something that doesn't really sell here

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Few reasons why.
1. The 1.4 is dying, the have a 1.3 coming out that's based off of the 2.0t and will be in the renegade(1.3t, probably the 500x and 500l too at some point) this year coming up and the 2.0 is already in the cherokee and wrangler.
2. The spyder might be dead since mazda is now in bed with toyota and we have no idea the future.
3. The 500 is going electric next gen apparently and is already in it's own league in the states so no need to throw money at something that doesn't really sell here
Mazda seems to be spending an awful lot of money on skyactiv tech when everything seems to be going electric.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
41 - 49 of 49 Posts