Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure it out on my own, but I must admit, the internet is very confusing right now regarding the 500 Abarth. There seems to be some really cool versions that were put out in Europe only, Aussy, etc, but the new versions never made it to the States from what I can read. Very confusing. Local dealers have Spiders all over the new lots. But not a single 500 Abarth.
The Fiat official site seems unclear also. Maybe it's just me. But I don't understand what Fiat is doing with the North American version. If anything.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I wouldn't be suprise if they ditch it in america. I would have love to see some 695 biposto or 595 competizione over here or just the face lift 500 but it doesn't seems like they are bringing them. Even their american website still have them as 2017 models while their europe website are 2018 models

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Trying to figure it out on my own, but I must admit, the internet is very confusing right now regarding the 500 Abarth. There seems to be some really cool versions that were put out in Europe only, Aussy, etc, but the new versions never made it to the States from what I can read. Very confusing. Local dealers have Spiders all over the new lots. But not a single 500 Abarth.
The Fiat official site seems unclear also. Maybe it's just me. But I don't understand what Fiat is doing with the North American version. If anything.
The European and North American Abarths have always been different under the skin. For example, the NA version has always been MultiAir, but the European version was DOHC (that may have changed). They had completely different ECUs as well. Also, I think the automatic version of the Abarth (which uses a heavy-duty Aisin 6-speed) is only offered in North America. As @Anch implied, the entire 500 line is something of a sales disaster in North America. There is really no reason for the Fiat or Abarth brands to exist in North America at all. These vehicles should have probably been part of a more comprehensive Dodge lineup, along with the Dart, although the 500 would have needed extensive cosmetic surgery.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The European and North American Abarths have always been different under the skin. For example, the NA version has always been MultiAir, but the European version was DOHC (that may have changed). They had completely different ECUs as well. Also, I think the automatic version of the Abarth (which uses a heavy-duty Aisin 6-speed) is only offered in North America. As @Anch implied, the entire 500 line is something of a sales disaster in North America. There is really no reason for the Fiat or Abarth brands to exist in North America at all. These vehicles should have probably been part of a more comprehensive Dodge lineup, along with the Dart, although the 500 would have needed extensive cosmetic surgery.
Yes..... FCA , other than Jeep/RAM and somewhat Dodge "heavies" , has no desire to cater to American tastes in the smaller car and lower cost funmobiles. In my area, all of a sudden, and even though it's frigid winter, a TON of Focus ST's and Fiesta ST's have been popping up all over the place! They used to be a rare summer sight, but now the dealers are pumping them out like Civics !!!
And not to have an FCA bash-fest, but I'll also say that the Alfa cars and suv's are frozen in place (very cold around here) on dealer lots. Great job Sergio..... I wonder how many "Edsel's" you can come up with here in North America? Maybe they need a Movie Franchise tie-in like Nissan to get the blood pumping?????

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live along I-35 in Kansas and when I see a 500, about 50% are Abarths. Of course I don't see 500's every day, but the Abarths do seem to be more common around here. I just did a quick build and price on Fiat's website and out of 38 500's within a 150 mile radius, 7 were Abarths. I would be interested except my wife isn't comfortable in sub-sub-compacts. To her the Dart is ALMOST too small...

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live along I-35 in Kansas and when I see a 500, about 50% are Abarths. Of course I don't see 500's every day, but the Abarths do seem to be more common around here. I just did a quick build and price on Fiat's website and out of 38 500's within a 150 mile radius, 7 were Abarths. I would be interested except my wife isn't comfortable in sub-sub-compacts. To her the Dart is ALMOST too small...
That sounds about right percentage. Some Abarth's aren't much more than a lesser model ! But they are small. There is no way of describing them without the small part thrown in. Also, even the fans of the car (owners) on the zillion YouTube reviews I've seen always always always mention the high seat height and odd placement of the three pedals (manual of course) that do not equal a desirable driving position for pert near any size human. But, I suppose we're "splitting hairs" about things like comfort and such. Even a Spider/Miata interior is just plain tight. Almost as though to say that if you are too big to enjoy such a sporting unit, you are probably either too old, or too overweight, or both. I can see why my money would have to go to a Mustang or a Corvette or a Challenger. At least you got some wiggle room. It's almost like shopping the men's department at Target. I swear their entire inventory was sized for Munchkins. Seriously.
The-Wizard-Of-Oz-1939.jpg "And as we wind on down the tar ....Our shadows taller than our car......"
BTW.... where the H E double hockey sticks IS everybody???? How dare Forum members have lives outside of this territory! And what about Off Topic Area? It's gonna be COLD for over a week and I'm on vacation........:shocked::haha::serious::big smile::cool2: C'mon ... I know you're out there.................................

Sheldon-sheldon-cooper-31414107-500-337.gif Bring it back! Apparently Small is the new Big..... small car.jpg

·
Registered
727 Posts
500s are actually a lot bigger on the inside then the outside and sit pretty well. It also helps that they don't hold value at all and can get then stupid cheaper even new. When they finally get around to updating it i would be interested to see if it does any better because the current interior looks liek it's out of teh mid 2000s

·
Registered
290 Posts
I read that the new 500 Abarth is coming out in the spring. That is really what I wanted when I purchased my Dart. They were hard to find and whenI did find one they sold quickly. This fall it was different story, I found a lot of them. Right now the short supply is a result of waiting for the 2018 model.

·
Premium Member
13,037 Posts
I read that the new 500 Abarth is coming out in the spring. That is really what I wanted when I purchased my Dart. They were hard to find and whenI did find one they sold quickly. This fall it was different story, I found a lot of them. Right now the short supply is a result of waiting for the 2018 model.
I dunno who told you there's a new Abarth coming. I know that they've done a minor facelift to the 500, but I haven't read anything about the Abarth 500 after 2017.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I dunno who told you there's a new Abarth coming. I know that they've done a minor facelift to the 500, but I haven't read anything about the Abarth 500 after 2017.
In europe, the abarth did got a little facelift similar to the regular 500 but with a more aggressive front end. I don't see them bringing all their abarth versions over here, since they offer two differents versions of it, the 595 and 695. The regular 595 is our abarth, but the three 595 packages (pista, turismo and competizione) are more track focused. Then the 695 Rivale, is the track car with brembo brakes, more power and stuff like that. In america, I think offering the 595 turismo would be a good compromise while keeping the abarth alive.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
In europe, the abarth did got a little facelift similar to the regular 500 but with a more aggressive front end. I don't see them bringing all their abarth versions over here, since they offer two differents versions of it, the 595 and 695. The regular 595 is our abarth, but the three 595 packages (pista, turismo and competizione) are more track focused. Then the 695 Rivale, is the track car with brembo brakes, more power and stuff like that. In america, I think offering the 595 turismo would be a good compromise while keeping the abarth alive.
Have you looked at Fiat 500 sales? There is really no point whatsoever in keeping the 500 Abarth alive in North America. They killed the Dart and 200 because they were unprofitable and didn't sell in high enough volume, but they actually outsold the entire Fiat brand by a massive margin. Fiat sales are on the same level as ultra-premium brands, but unlike those brands, Fiat has low sales because nobody wants to buy them.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
With so many variations on the Civic, why would another small car sell well?
Speaking of ugly cars... anyway, the 500 is a lot smaller than any Civic. Unless you mean the 500L or 500X, which I believe have sold around 17 units between the two of them. Honestly, whenever I see a 500 on the road, I always wonder what caused that person to decide that that was what they were going to buy over all other options.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Speaking of ugly cars... anyway, the 500 is a lot smaller than any Civic. Unless you mean the 500L or 500X, which I believe have sold around 17 units between the two of them. Honestly, whenever I see a 500 on the road, I always wonder what caused that person to decide that that was what they were going to buy over all other options.
I would assume that the buyer in America would have a momentary fantasy of European life ..... driving down the small and barely passable streets of Italy, parking on a non-existent curb area while visiting mama' for Sunday spaghetti , etc... proposing to your soul mate down by the river ....... dreaming about the Range Rover you'll need when kids come along ..... signing up for USA citizenship...... :crazy:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I read it at Fiat500USA.com

"The future's looking bright as there are some exciting changes coming for the Fiat 500 in the spring of 2018. We'll have more on this so stay tuned!"

That was a few months ago. Maybe wishful thinking?

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
All I can say is that my local Fiat/Alfa dealer has a boat load of Spiders, and the two other "things" with the Alfa badge on them. The coupe and the suv. When it snows, they don't even bother clearing them off. Guess they figure if someone actually wants to look at one, they'll clear one off. Not that the Spiders won't sell. Around April/May. But it is exciting! If the weather permits, I might go to the Philly auto show end of month.
Maybe great revelations await us there......... they also have a great DUB section, which is nothing short of hilarious. Great fun. Maybe a 500 POP DUB. :cool2:
Oh... wait.... only Europe gets the jaw dropper 500's. I forgot.
Esseesse!
esseesse.jpg Cue up the heavy Bass speakers! Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom.........

500dub.jpg

·
Registered
234 Posts
While not exactly ugly, when I picked up a 13 Dart two years ago I didn't think it was particularly attractive. The jelly bean shape wasn't too appealing but the price made up for it. Flipped it a few months afterwards and picked up this 13 Abarth a few weeks ago. This car I like. The look, the feel, the size, and especially the sound. Know I'm gonna flip it, but one of the few cars I've owned that I wouldn't mind keeping longer.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
While not exactly ugly, when I picked up a 13 Dart two years ago I didn't think it was particularly attractive. The jelly bean shape wasn't too appealing but the price made up for it. Flipped it a few months afterwards and picked up this 13 Abarth a few weeks ago. This car I like. The look, the feel, the size, and especially the sound. Know I'm gonna flip it, but one of the few cars I've owned that I wouldn't mind keeping longer.

To each their own, but to me that car looks like the designers just gave up and stopped caring halfway through. It might be fun to drive (though the base 500 is definitely not), but it looks ridiculous to me.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To each their own, but to me that car looks like the designers just gave up and stopped caring halfway through. It might be fun to drive (though the base 500 is definitely not), but it looks ridiculous to me.
It's supposed to reflect a certain "European Charm" I guess. Like the image of driving through the little streets of Italy and taking a drive out to the country field areas whilst packing a special little lunch basket with some vino for you and your special friend. (political correctness)........
But all things considered, I don't see why operating a "sporting car" should be a painful process. Too small, harsh riding, cheap feeling, ..... I mean that even goes for the sharp looking cars like the 4C. Seriously.... why the pain?
And...... FCA considers these things more viable than a Dart. That is a huge Joke. And a Bad one, at that.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Based on my little mini survey yesterday at my local neighborhood Fiat/Alfa dealer, I'd say Q is correct. In fact, there were virtually no 500's visible on the lot. If they had any, I couldn't see them with the quick pass through I made. Didn't even see any of the bigger suv types either. MASSIVE amounts of Spiders. I stopped counting after 12 in every color and trim. And an even larger amount if Alfas in every model, every color, every trim in greater quantities than the Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler lot that is right next to the lot in a separate inventory .
It looked like the Spider and Alfa inventory was so great at the point of origin that the dealer HAD to agree to buy a virtual BOATLOAD of product.
And....... They........ Sit............ and they sit....... ​and they sit......

1 - 20 of 49 Posts