Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble pinning down the type of motor oil to use in a 1.4 turbo and while I'm here what is the oil filter number?

Thanks for any help you can offer'
KMoore

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
Chrysler recommends you use SAE 5W-40 API Certified Synthetic Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of Material Standard MS-12991 such as Pennzoil® Platinum Euro.Full Synthetic
Mopar oil filter MO-241 68102241AA

Reactions: djhace

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chrysler recommends you use SAE 5W-40 API Certified Synthetic Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of Material Standard MS-12991 such as Pennzoil® Platinum Euro.Full Synthetic
Mopar oil filter MO-241 68102241AA
anybody using oil other then the euro oil, having trouble finding the recommended stuf.

·
Registered
2013 1.4L SXT Rallye Citrus Peal
6 Posts
anybody using oil other then the euro oil, having trouble finding the recommended stuf.
I maintain my granddaughter's 2013 1.4L Rallye. I have been using Valvoline 5W-40 European formula. According to the Valvoline website it is appropriate for the 1.4L.

Granted that it does NOT say that it meets MS-12991 on the label. However, I am not worried by that. It costs manufacturers a lot of money to have their oil tested and approved to meet certain specs. The oil manufacturer may know that their oil will pass the certification testing, but if the market is not great enough (as is likely the case with MS-12991) they will not go through that expensive ordeal.

An interesting thing that I noticed on Amazon is that if you look up the 5-qt vs 1-qt packaging of this oil, one will say that it is compatible and the other will say that it is not compatible. Really? :rolleyes:

My local Walmart has this for $24.97 (as of Dec 2021) in the 5 qt. jug.

Product Font Screenshot Line Software

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
You can ask Walmart to order it for you.

·
Registered
2013 1.4L SXT Rallye Citrus Peal
6 Posts
Our store did not initially have the Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic when we bought the car, so that is when I went with Valvoline. Our store now carries the Pennzoil. I assumed you had already checked for availability on that.

As mentioned, Walmart should be able to order either of those for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our store did not initially have the Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic when we bought the car, so that is when I went with Valvoline. Our store now carries the Pennzoil. I assumed you had already checked for availability on that.

As mentioned, Walmart should be able to order either of those for you.
Thanks for all your help. It's my granddaughter's deal and she didn't pursue any of those options ( kids!) I'll have to chase some down as well as the filter.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Dart 1.3 T Manual
31 Posts
I've used Castrol Edge Synthetic 5W-40. I buy it at O'Reilly's. I started using it when I bought my '13 1.4 Rallye at about 32 miles, I now have about 190k miles on it and have had very few issues with the car in general. It doesn't seem to have lost any power since the day I bought it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I just order the Pennzoil Euro Platinum off Amazon. Usually get the case of 6 quarts for like 50ish bucks. But now that I see Walmart sells a 5 quart jug for $25.00 I'l be changing I guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having trouble pinning down the type of motor oil to use in a 1.4 turbo and while I'm here what is the oil filter number?

Thanks for any help you can offer'
KMoore
Amsoil has a European 5w40 for that engine. I use the 0w20 in the 2.4 GT. Yes you pay more for for Amsoil than Wal Mart oil, but I think it's a good product and it's a U.S. company out of Wisconsin. I would rather spend more at Amsoil and not support "big oil" like Shell, Castrol, Mobil, etc. You can easily become a Preferred Customer which can get you discounted pricing and free shipping. I started using Amsoil in my Cummins diesel 10 years ago and since then I have put it in every car, boat, and small engine I own. It's easy to go on their website and look up your vehicle or application. Another nice thing I like is that for many applications they offer 3 levels of protection (Signature, XL, and OE). Signature being the top, XL mid grade and OE. Price goes according also. So for my wife's daily driver I generally use the OE or XL. For my higher performance engines I use XL or Signature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I run mainly Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 (of course) buy online the box with 6 (1qt) bottles. I did try Motul 8100 once or twice. Can't really say there was any major difference. You have to do oil sampling and send it to a lab to really know. I think when you changing the oil could be more important than brands. Every 5k miles here, don't care if it says 8k, 9k, or 10k in the book. I know some change it as early as 3k. That seems a bit paranoid.

'13 Abarth. 120k miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just order the Pennzoil Euro Platinum off Amazon. Usually get the case of 6 quarts for like 50ish bucks. But now that I see Walmart sells a 5 quart jug for $25.00 I'l be changing I guess.
That 5qt jug is probably the wrong weight like 0w40 or 5w30.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts