Dodge Dart Forum banner

7181 - 7196 of 7196 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well it's sad to write this, but my Dart is done.

Last Sunday it suddenly started making a loud noise and shaking. Moments afterwards it gave a transmission error code, then wouldn't shift out of gear while I idled it to a stop. Diagnosis came back that the flywheel broke.
How? Who knows. Every time I ask they give me a funny look. Like they're just as confused as I am that it happened.

In any case, the cost of repair is $2800. Needs a flywheel, both clutches (ddct), bearings, ect. Even if I wanted to fix it up and sell the Dart for something else, it would put me in the hole due to body work required. Mostly though, I can't afford that. It's been fun, but it's finally broken beyond what I can reasonably repair, and even trust the vehicle at this point.

Had it towed back to my driveway, and I'll be listing some of the mods here to sell so I can get a down payment for a loan on a cheap used car.

I really never thought this day would come, but it appears that it has.
I just replaced all those parts and more and it was under $2k. The flywheel is built in 2 pieces so it’s possible the pieces became damaged through normal wear or is defective. I got the clutchmaster flywheel from Modern Performance and its a solid one piece. If your transmission warranty is still good they should replace it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Fun pin-striping project. STEP 1: Mash front lip into a cement curb. STEP 2: Be so pissed off that you don't pull the collar up on the manual all the way & instead of reversing, you mash the front lip even further into the curb & pop a fastener off the bottom. STEP 3: Be lucky enough to get a 65 degree day in January in New England over the weekend so you can fix it. Becoming a real pro at this. By the way, don't judge on how dirty the ride is.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
When the weather hits over 40 degrees & sunny, a great day to wash dirt & salt off the Dart. Always bring my own bucket of warm water & wash solution to the self serve. I only use the rinse & foam from the gun there, do not let that nasty scrub brush touch my paint (it has enough issues). Finish it off with a two microfiber towel dry. Now to avoid every puddle for the next few days.

Also, I learned that you have to use a little less tension on the pin-striping tape when doing an application during the winter. Even though it was warm when I applied it, the freezing days that followed caused it to contract. On the angled section of the lip, towards the driver side, the tape pulled right off & eventually ripped (you can see in the pictures) . Need to do a repair when we get some better weather.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
@Mass_Paul , how well do your AVS Ventvisors work? I am about to lose my mind dealing with my Dart and water coming into the car. The worst is when snow is on top of the roof and starts to melt, just starts dripping like a water faucet. Other times I think I am in the clear, then I take a right-hand turn and all the water on the roof comes gushing into the window.

·
Super Moderator
4,770 Posts
@Mass_Paul , how well do your AVS Ventvisors work? I am about to lose my mind dealing with my Dart and water coming into the car. The worst is when snow is on top of the roof and starts to melt, just starts dripping like a water faucet. Other times I think I am in the clear, then I take a right-hand turn and all the water on the roof comes gushing into the window.
Like when the window is closed?? I do notice mine has water come in if the windows are more than cracked below the visor or like you said, making a turn and it come pouring in onto the door. But nothing really against the product, if the window is open the water will come in the window in those cases. However mine have never leaked when it's closed. Do you have the in channel or out channel? If you have the in channel, did you make sure they are in there correctly? The part that goes into the center pillar between the two doors actually doesn't go in the channel at all, but in between the pillar and weather stripping.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I love them. Have the In-Channel ones for both my Dart and my wife's Journey. Have never had any sort of leak issue. I love being able to have the window open a few inches on warm days when it is raining. Obviously you cannot have it open too much.

Also, I was super methodical when I installed. I cleaned the window channel with a clean, white rag and them continued to wipe with alcohol until I was not seeing any residue. It took a lot of wiping. When I finally installed, I left the windows closed for the weekend to give it extra time to adhere. I don't think I will ever have a car again that does not have these.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Like when the window is closed?? I do notice mine has water come in if the windows are more than cracked below the visor or like you said, making a turn and it come pouring in onto the door. But nothing really against the product, if the window is open the water will come in the window in those cases. However mine have never leaked when it's closed. Do you have the in channel or out channel? If you have the in channel, did you make sure they are in there correctly? The part that goes into the center pillar between the two doors actually doesn't go in the channel at all, but in between the pillar and weather stripping.
No, I am a smoker so it's about 1-2 inches open on any given day. It just seems the Dart is more prone to it than my previous vehicles based on how the roof weld lines are created. It's absolutely insane how much drips in, even when stopped at a redlight.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
No, I am a smoker so it's about 1-2 inches open on any given day. It just seems the Dart is more prone to it than my previous vehicles based on how the roof weld lines are created. It's absolutely insane how much drips in, even when stopped at a redlight.
I will say that I try to avoid using my air conditioning at all costs. I maybe turned it on 3 or 4 times last year (once was to take a work call so I had to shut windows in the summer). The vent visors are very stable on the highway at "spirited" speeds. Like I said earlier, works great in the rain. Especially Spring time when it can get rainy and I bit muggy. Like a charm. Also prevents the AC from stealing the limited horses from my Dart.

Now for the old man/Dad in me: think about giving up the lung Darts. Don't want to see anyone get sick. It is your right, your body and your decision; but like I said, after 21 years of being a Dad, hard to keep some of my Dad opinions to myself.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I will say that I try to avoid using my air conditioning at all costs. I maybe turned it on 3 or 4 times last year (once was to take a work call so I had to shut windows in the summer). The vent visors are very stable on the highway at "spirited" speeds. Like I said earlier, works great in the rain. Especially Spring time when it can get rainy and I bit muggy. Like a charm. Also prevents the AC from stealing the limited horses from my Dart.

Now for the old man/Dad in me: think about giving up the lung Darts. Don't want to see anyone get sick. It is your right, your body and your decision; but like I said, after 21 years of being a Dad, hard to keep some of my Dad opinions to myself.

It's actually something I agreed to change this year, per talking with my wife and daughter. Already cut back 50% compared to December, working on it day by day. After 20 years, I am ready to give it up for good. It's almost $3k per year that can be put to better use.

Either way, I still need the AVS visors....I have used A/C a total of 4 times in the last 6 years. I always enjoy the windows down. A/C on the Dart is like dragging a boat anchor behind.

·
Registered
715 Posts
oil change, spark plug change and first startup after 5 months in storage

·
Registered
773 Posts
Since we are out of work right now due to quarantine, I took the time to do the lower control arms on both sides. When I got done, I greased the lower ball joints and seen grease come squirting out a little hole so I figured shit, I cut the boots some how but I emailed the MFG and they stated it was relief holes to let out excess grease when pumping in grease. I guess I'll take their word for it since it happens in the same spot on both sides.

DartLCAs.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Added some stripes to dampen all the white on our 2015 Dart Aero Turbo. It is our tow car for the Motor Coach. I up fitted it for flat tow. Have been pleased with the purchase in 09/2019 with 40K on it.. A few bugs, but good. The Sirius/XM fades in and out sometimes on the full feature touch screen, and yet to correct. It is roomy for the purpose and over all pleased. Long time Mopar Guy!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like many on furlough for two weeks and the time is right to get some projects done. I may spray the rockers in black to help it some more next week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Those rear tail masking decals are a bitch! The other side was a little fun as well with the gas door. The rear is all Concave and Compound curves. My wife prevailed as she learned from our re-decal on the 5th wheel Montana camper we re-did last year. It was worth it and sold in less than a week. I let her apply all the stripes on the Dart. I was there for Moral support! She did Very good IMO!

7181 - 7196 of 7196 Posts