Dodge Dart Forum banner

7121 - 7131 of 7131 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I've been trying to find you an engine cover at the junkyards. Seems like any front end hit cracks the engine cover. I will keep looking.
Thanks. I am going to try a more aggressive approach to fix my cover. IA going to drill several holes right through the crack, and a few holes a bit beyond that area. I am then going to apply JB Weld 2 part epoxy on top and bottom and through the holes. I am hoping this might create a more secure fix.

Last time I tried to fix it, I only applied the epoxy on the bottom and tried to get some in the crack. The epoxy is still strong underneath, but it gave way right on the crack (which I believe is due to not enough epoxy being able to adhere to the damaged area).

Nothing ventured, nothing gained and I can't really make it any worse.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Right now, there are no Darts at the closest yard. If I find a cracked cover, I'll try to get a good chunk of it. You could then use a solder iron or plastic welder and that should work better than epoxy. There are some plastic welding videos you might want to check out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Painted the engine bay front cover to match my fuse cover and engineer cover (not shown). Now I just need to permanently fix my cracked engine cover. Got a new idea that I am going to try. If it works, I will post results.

Are you looking for a 2.4 engine cover? Im heading to pick n pull to grab some stuff off a Dart with a 2.4 I can grab the engine cover if its not cracked.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Are you looking for a 2.4 engine cover? Im heading to pick n pull to grab some stuff off a Dart with a 2.4 I can grab the engine cover if its not cracked.
If it is cracked, he still might be able to use a chunk of the plastic to plastic weld it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If it is cracked, he still might be able to use a chunk of the plastic to plastic weld it.
Just tried my second JB Weld fix. Need to let it setup. Fingers crossed. If that doesn't work, I will be actively looking for a replacement, or a chunk to plastic "weld" into the existing cover.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just tried my second JB Weld fix. Need to let it setup. Fingers crossed. If that doesn't work, I will be actively looking for a replacement, or a chunk to plastic "weld" into the existing cover.

Ok i'll pull it when i go cracked or not! I'll send u a Pm when i grab it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You might try JB's radiator epoxy repair kit. It adds a piece of material that significantly reinforces the epoxy. Worth a try if you can't get a replacement. I plan on hitting our pull it yard soon and I know there are two Darts there. Which engine do you have?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have the 2.4L with the engine cover that "snaps/presses" on, not the one that bolts on.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
7121 - 7131 of 7131 Posts
About this Discussion
7.1K Replies
883 Participants
dlothemartian
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing