Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I am no longer a Dart owner. Wow, that feels weird to type out. As those of you who saw my thread on the DDCT (or whatever) problems it was having, I wasn't going to invest any more time or money into my 2013 Dart Rallye 1.4T. Yesterday, I traded it in for a 2021 Kia Forte GT Limited in Orange Delight. Although I did end up having to invest more into the Dart, because it needed a new battery to be driveable (don't drive a Dart with a battery that's been allowed to completely drain, it goes very very badly). The parting was bittersweet (it needed to go, but I had a lot of good times in that Dart), but they gave me $1500 for it (I was vague about its issues, but the dealership didn't really care what the actual problem was, as they said it's going to be a wholesaler's problem). Anyways, even though I just registered on VerticalScope's Kia Forte forum, I'll probably still keep an eye on this place.

Keep on Dartin' with the rubber side down!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Please stop by every now and then, you have a wealth of knowledge about the Dart.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
So... I am no longer a Dart owner. Wow, that feels weird to type out. As those of you who saw my thread on the DDCT (or whatever) problems it was having, I wasn't going to invest any more time or money into my 2013 Dart Rallye 1.4T. Yesterday, I traded it in for a 2021 Kia Forte GT Limited in Orange Delight. Although I did end up having to invest more into the Dart, because it needed a new battery to be driveable (don't drive a Dart with a battery that's been allowed to completely drain, it goes very very badly). The parting was bittersweet (it needed to go, but I had a lot of good times in that Dart), but they gave me $1500 for it (I was vague about its issues, but the dealership didn't really care what the actual problem was, as they said it's going to be a wholesaler's problem). Anyways, even though I just registered on VerticalScope's Kia Forte forum, I'll probably still keep an eye on this place.

It was nice to have you here for the journey. I'm having second thoughts on mine at the moment. I only have a year left of payments on my loan but it seems like more problems are popping up. My motor mounts finally gave out on a 0-60 pull and it destroyed my flex pipe in the exhaust. I also found a hole in the rear muffler, odd for only having 76k miles on it.

Did you get the manual or the DDCT transmission? It seems like a fun car with more power and less weight than the Dart.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Joel -

Sorry to hear you're no longer a 1.4T Dart owner (but totally understandable considering what you've experienced with the DDCT, etc.).

You've been a tremendous asset to this forum ... I always read your post(s) first ... you will be missed!

Good luck with your Kia Forte!

Regards,
Todd

Reactions: Bobcubs08

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I was hoping to see some posts there? So we're wondering, did you get the DDCT or the manual trans?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

All the best with the new car. I really like Kia's lineup and am currently trying to talk my son into buying a used AWD Stinger for his first "new" car. He is still leaning towards a GTI.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping to see some posts there? So we're wondering, did you get the DDCT or the manual trans?
Haha, I've been too busy driving my new car and haven't even taken pictures yet! The Forte GT manual isn't available in Canada (only the the base Forte LX MT comes with a manual), so I have the 7-speed DDCT. I had to think about this for a while, considering how things went down with my Dart. I opted to go with an extended warranty that will take me to 10 years/200,000kms. It feels almost disloyal, because I truly loved driving my Dart, but I hit some of my favorite twisty roads this evening, and this Forte does pretty much everything better. It's faster, nimbler, and is much better equipped, despite actually costing less than my 2013 Dart Rallye 1.4T DDCT and being equipped with H-rated touring tires. Kia has made huge improvements in their designs in the past few years, and it's proof of what happens when an automaker doesn't just give up like Dodge did with the Dart before it even went into production. Ok, so Kia has a lot of SUVs in their lineup too, but at least they are still offering cars that are interesting without having a Hellcat badge.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the best with the new car. I really like Kia's lineup and am currently trying to talk my son into buying a used AWD Stinger for his first "new" car. He is still leaning towards a GTI.
In Canada, you can only get three trim levels of Stinger, and they're all twin-turbo V6 AWD. You have the GT, the GT Limited, and the GT Limited Orange. That third one is basically a $1,500.00 orange paint job. Oh, and orange-trimmed floor mats. It's not even a particularly interesting shade of orange, with the metallic orange on my Forte looking much more "premium". Also, a Stinger is a lot of car to paint solid orange. There's one around where I live, and honestly, it's a bit much to look at. I'm guessing your son is in his 20s and is horrified that you want him to drive some huge "luxury sport" sedan.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
In Canada, you can only get three trim levels of Stinger, and they're all twin-turbo V6 AWD. You have the GT, the GT Limited, and the GT Limited Orange. That third one is basically a $1,500.00 orange paint job. Oh, and orange-trimmed floor mats. It's not even a particularly interesting shade of orange, with the metallic orange on my Forte looking much more "premium". Also, a Stinger is a lot of car to paint solid orange. There's one around where I live, and honestly, it's a bit much to look at. I'm guessing your son is in his 20s and is horrified that you want him to drive some huge "luxury sport" sedan.
He actually likes the Stinger. You can get a used, low mileage, non-GT level Stinger (2.0L turbo) with AWD in the low $20's. He would love to get a GT, but he is not in that tax bracket yet.

My father in law just bought a Telluride and it is a very nice vehicle. I also really like the look of the Forte and the K5 (formally the Optima in the US). I think you made a great choice.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Mopar 13 Moderator
5,444 Posts
No, another OG down, sad to see you go

·
Registered
876 Posts
My 2013 Dart is in my garage with some major engine issues. I bought a 21 Forte GT in January, and absolutely love it. Got the manual trans. Your posts here were helpful to me on more than one occasion, and if you have any Forte questions I'll be glad to help if I can. I love my Forte GT. It's a fun ride for sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my 2016 2.0l SE RALLYE auto with 216,000 has more power now than it ever did. problems with these cars is almost impossible at times to tell the difference between suspension issues, engine issues, exhaust issues, and electrical issues. when you think something is wrong and or broke. take a step back and first focus on wiring, and air leaks. it is the problem most of the time. its all the little things that throw these cars off. i have now been through 80+% of my car buttoning up things. patching wires replacing hoses, fixing leaks, and saving a whole lot of money by not replacing crap just because of a check engine light. . it is the only car i have ever worked on, bought it new, 216,000 rideshare abusive miles. Darts need lots of loving and attention. otherwise they forget how to be a car.
recently repalced brake booster hose. if you drove my car before that you wouldve thought there were all kinds of issues with my motor mounts and suspension. reality that air leak caused all of it. replaced hose no longer think suspension and mounts are bad. the little things

·
Registered
11 Posts

A car is a car, they are pros and cons to everything you touch, however, you will never had've the same feeling, Some will argue that their car handles better and that it makes you feel the road better etc. I have owned and driven a boat load of cars because I have had to drive from Austin to El Paso Texas that is 600 miles of a good assortment of road topologies you can toss at a car and I am here to tell you, not matter what brand I drove, well! I got there fine. but the worst was a Nissan Sentra, that things was happy to miss handle every turn possible. The best ride was a Fiat 500 Multi Air. Darts never came into the rental spectrum but if I had had a chance to drive that one, I know it would have made it to the top of my list. My Wife's Dart is the LImited and we have been offered money for this model from many dealers in town. That package is the best. I fooled with the turbo to righted the waste valve and Racechipped it and you could not pay me enough to get rid of the car. I own an Alfaromeo 4c and that is just another talk all on its own. but all and all, you gave up a really good handling car for the money and to have gotten 1500 dollars for it, you got ripped off by the dealer. as they will turn around and sell for 6000, I just googled it and found one for 7000 dollars. I am not sure what the issues with yours was but unless it was ran down and miss treated and not mechanically respected than maybe it was a piece of junk. Having said that for some reasons the Italians cars, a Fiat or Alfa are just unique, specially for the money.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Sorry to see you go... you were one of the Wise Old Men of this forum. At least you made a good decision. Back in 2014 a Kia Forte was my backup choice in the event I found some compelling reason not to get a Dart. I'll have to check out the new ones just to see if they look nicer than I remember from years ago. I'll be keeping my Dart until the wheels fall off, so hopefully it'll continue to run like it has been and I won't begin to suffer the post-100K mile blues like many people.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to see you go... you were one of the Wise Old Men of this forum. At least you made a good decision. Back in 2014 a Kia Forte was my backup choice in the event I found some compelling reason not to get a Dart. I'll have to check out the new ones just to see if they look nicer than I remember from years ago. I'll be keeping my Dart until the wheels fall off, so hopefully it'll continue to run like it has been and I won't begin to suffer the post-100K mile blues like many people.
I didn't even make it to 100K miles, my Dart only had 111K kilometers. But, it was almost 8 years old, and age seems to be a factor for these cars as well. The Rio is still a bit "meh", but not terrible for the cheap little runabout its meant to be. The rest of the lineup is ridiculously better than it was even a few years ago. They poached designers from BMW and Audi, and it really shows. One of the coolest parts is the huge difference between "Normal" and "Sport" mode. In normal mode, it's remarkably smooth and composed, a well-appointed, comfortable car that gets you anywhere with ease. It's not especially slow, and if you push it you will still get the occasional crackle out of the exhaust (did I mention the exhaust pops and crackles?) but it's generally what most people would use for running errands and commuting. You hit the sport mode and you can tell at idle that it's a whole different animal. Throttle response is direct, instantaneous, and sensitive to the point that it's hard to maintain a steady speed. The steering tightens up, the suspension stiffens, and gear shifts, while still smooth, are blindingly fast. I took it out on one of my favorite weekend cruising routes to see how it would handle twisty, winding, hilly roads. Keep in mind that it's on touring tires (Khumo Majesty Solus "Grand Touring" in 225/45-18, with an H speed rating), and it was still easily faster than my Dart was, even with its stickier tires. There were twisty bits where I was a full 20% faster than I've ever gone and I wasn't even trying. Sometimes I didn't even realize just how fast I was going until I glanced down at the speedometer.

Still, I will miss the Dart. It had a lack of refinement and a certain simplicity that I appreciate in a car. While it was no racecar, it was no slower than its contemporaries (the 2.4L Tigershark offered the best power-to-weight ratio for 2013 compacts, and the 1.4T offered the best torque-to-weight ratio for 2013, which I know because I once made the effort to calculate it for every compact car model sold that model year in North America), and it conveyed a sense of "fast" that more refined cars don't. The Forte is better at a lot of things than the Dart, but I don't think any car of this class still in production has the visceral feel that the Dart had. I can't complain, it's fun as heck, and I even like some of the safety features (most of which can be turned off if they would interfere with a "fun" drive).

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
To be honest there still isn't anything out there that I would rather have than my Dart (assuming similar price point). My wife's Subaru is mechanically reliable but it's a flimsy piece of junk otherwise. And I can't stand all the electronics and safety crap in the new cars these days. If I had to go out and buy a new car today I really don't know what I would get.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Sadly welcome to the club. Though technically I still have mine, it hasn't run in a year and a half. Pandemic hit, and most of the places I could have sold it to shut down. They're probably back in business now, but I lack the motivation to go through getting rid of it. Can't afford to fix it, and too attached/lazy to let it go. So it sits there at the end of the driveway catching dust.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts