Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I've been having this weird semi-loud vibration that is starting to get annoying now. The weirdest part about this whole thing is that it is intermittent. Now it only happens when the car is in reverse and idling in drive and idling in park. If I put any sort of load on the engine it goes away.

I recently replaced the rear motor mount but that didn't seem to do anything, plus the one I took out didn't look bad. When I removed the rear motor mount, however, I could move the engine quite a bit (maybe like 2-3in) back and forth. Is it supposed to have that much play? I'm thinking my other motor mounts may be bad because I don't know what could possibly be causing this noise. The other possible part is the transmission but I feel nothing else when gears shift and what not. I guess it could be CV joints as well but I don't think it would be intermittent.

Anyways, I have tried recording the noise on two videos maybe someone with more knowledge on the dart could help me out.

Here are the videos:

Thanks in advance for any help!!

·
Administrator
5,995 Posts
There are 3 motor mounts, left, right, and rear. There is also a procedure to adjust or center the engine. Do you need info on how to remove/install any of the other mounts? Or info to center the engine?

·
Premium Member
2015 Dodge Dart Aero 1.4T
3,639 Posts
Alright, so I've been having this weird semi-loud vibration that is starting to get annoying now. The weirdest part about this whole thing is that it is intermittent. Now it only happens when the car is in reverse and idling in drive and idling in park. If I put any sort of load on the engine it goes away.

I recently replaced the rear motor mount but that didn't seem to do anything, plus the one I took out didn't look bad. When I removed the rear motor mount, however, I could move the engine quite a bit (maybe like 2-3in) back and forth. Is it supposed to have that much play? I'm thinking my other motor mounts may be bad because I don't know what could possibly be causing this noise. The other possible part is the transmission but I feel nothing else when gears shift and what not. I guess it could be CV joints as well but I don't think it would be intermittent.

Anyways, I have tried recording the noise on two videos maybe someone with more knowledge on the dart could help me out.

Here are the videos:

Thanks in advance for any help!!
My Fiancee's old car used to do that when I put it in drive... I dont think its engine mount related as much as maybe a transmission issue... I would guess the torque converter maybe? Im not really keen on all the inner workings of an automatic transmission... Mine is manual.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alpinegreenneon said:
There are 3 motor mounts, left, right, and rear. There is also a procedure to adjust or center the engine. Do you need info on how to remove/install any of the other mounts? Or info to center the engine?
Yes I'd like the information for the left and right mounts and how to adjust or center the engine. That would be awesome.

pkgmsu2000 said:
how many miles on your dart? we've had members report the mounts going bad as early as 25k miles

what happens when you turn on the A/C?
83k miles (yes its a lot, was being used by 2 people (my wife and I) for work/leisure travel). When I turn on the A/C the vibration gets a little deeper then settles back out to normal. It happens when I turn it on.

Exitus04 said:
My Fiancee's old car used to do that when I put it in drive... I dont think its engine mount related as much as maybe a transmission issue... I would guess the torque converter maybe? Im not really keen on all the inner workings of an automatic transmission... Mine is manual.
I do not think its the transmission or torque converter causing this issue. It only happens in Idle/Reverse and there is no other problem with accelerating, switching gears, or even flooring it. There are too many moving parts in those components for their not to be any other related issue, although I guess I can't rule it out completely.

Appreciate the responses, been a little busy. I just have a feeling it's the mounts though because when I let off the gas and let it drive itself then hit the brake, you can hear the vibration move when braking and then it takes like 4 seconds to finish rocking and goes back to steady vibration. It's really odd that's why I think it's the mounts.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Yes I'd like the information for the left and right mounts and how to adjust or center the engine. That would be awesome.

83k miles (yes its a lot, was being used by 2 people (my wife and I) for work/leisure travel). When I turn on the A/C the vibration gets a little deeper then settles back out to normal. It happens when I turn it on.

I do not think its the transmission or torque converter causing this issue. It only happens in Idle/Reverse and there is no other problem with accelerating, switching gears, or even flooring it. There are too many moving parts in those components for their not to be any other related issue, although I guess I can't rule it out completely.

Appreciate the responses, been a little busy. I just have a feeling it's the mounts though because when I let off the gas and let it drive itself then hit the brake, you can hear the vibration move when braking and then it takes like 4 seconds to finish rocking and goes back to steady vibration. It's really odd that's why I think it's the mounts.
At least you have a good idea on where to start! you can get yourself some new motor mounts from Deyeme Racing! They make 3 different styles too! Flex, Firm and billet aluminum!

·
Administrator
5,995 Posts
Engine Mount, Left / Removal

REMOVAL

1.Raise and support the vehicle

2.Remove the belly pan (Refer to 13 - Frame and Bumpers/Under Body Protection/BELLY PAN/Removal) .

3.Lower the vehicle.

4.Remove the engine cover to prevent contact with the cowl..

5.Remove the battery and tray (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Battery System/TRAY, Battery/Removal)

6.Remove the wire harness retainer from the top of the left engine mount.

7.Support transaxle with a suitable jack.

8.Remove the coolant tube bracket bolt (1).
Line art White Coloring book Line Design

9.Remove the three mount to transaxle bracket bolts (2).

10.Remove the two mount to frame rail bolts (3).

11.Loosen, but do not remove the bolt (2) for the trans mount (3) to strut tower (1) attachment.
Line art Line Coloring book

12.Remove the mount.

Engine Mount, Left / Installation

INSTALLATION

1.Set the left engine mount into position.

2.Tighten the left engine mount to strut tower bolt (2) finger tight.

3.Tighten the left engine mount to transaxle bracket bolts (2) finger tight.

4.Tighten the left engine mount to frame rail bolts (3) finger tight.

5.Tighten the left engine mount to strut tower bolt (2) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

6.Tighten the left engine mount to frame rail bolts (3) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

7.Tighten the left engine mount to transaxle bracket bolts (2) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

8.Install the coolant tube bracket bolt (1) and tighten to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

Left Engine Mount to Frame Rail Bolts
87 Nm 64 ft lbs

Left Engine Mount to Strut Tower Bolt
50 Nm 37 ft lbs

Left Engine Mount to Transaxle Bracket Bolts
105 Nm 77 ft lbs

NOTE:
Failure to carry out the Engine Mount Neutralization procedure can result in unequal loading of the engine mounts and powertrain vibration.

9.Perform the Engine Mount Neutralization procedure (Refer to 09 - Engine/Engine Mounting/Standard Procedure) .

10.Install the battery tray (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Battery System/TRAY, Battery/Installation) .

11.Install the belly pan (Refer to 13 - Frame and Bumpers/Under Body Protection/BELLY PAN/Installation) .

12.Install the engine cover assembly.

Engine Mount, Rear / Removal

REMOVAL

1.Raise and support the vehicle.

2.Remove the belly pan.

3.Remove the mount to bracket through bolt (4) and nut (2).
Line art Auto part Coloring book Vehicle Drawing

4.Remove the mount to crossmember through bolt (1).

5.Reposition the engine forward to allow the mount to be removed from the pocket past the engine bracket (3).

NOTE: The exhaust system can remain intact. Carefully pry the engine forward enough to clear the bracket but not to overextend the exhaust hangers.

6.Remove rear mount.

Engine Mount, Rear / Installation

INSTALLATION

1.Position the rear engine mount into the crossmember pocket.

2.Install the rear engine mount to crossmember bolt (1) into the cradle portion of the mount.

3.Position the front arm of the mount around the transaxle bracket (3) and install the rear engine mount to transaxle bracket bolt (4) and nut (2).

4.Tighten the rear engine mount to crossmember bolt (1) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

Rear Engine Mount to Crossmember Bolt
105 Nm 77 ft lbs

Rear Engine Mount to Transaxle Bracket Bolt and Nut
80 Nm 59 ft lbs

Right Engine Mount to Frame Rail Bolts
63 Nm 46 ft lbs

5.Tighten the rear engine mount to transaxle bracket bolt (4) and nut (2) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

NOTE:
Failure to carry out the Engine Mount Neutralization procedure can result in unequal loading of the engine mounts and powertrain vibration.

6.Perform the Engine Mount Neutralization procedure (Refer to 09 - Engine/Engine Mounting/Standard Procedure) .

7.Install belly pan (Refer to 13 - Frame and Bumpers/Under Body Protection/BELLY PAN/Installation) .

Engine Mount, Right / Removal

REMOVAL

1.Remove the engine cover.

2.Remove the air cleaner assembly (Refer to 09 - Engine/Air Intake System/BODY, Air Cleaner/Removal)

3.Remove the coolant reservoir bolts (3) and set the reservoir aside.
Line Graphic design Fictional character Games

4.Remove the belly pan (Refer to 13 - Frame and Bumpers/Under Body Protection/BELLY PAN/Removal) .

5.Properly support the powertrain with a suitable jack or stand.

6.Remove the three mount to timing cover bolts (1).

7.Remove the two mount to frame bolts (2).

8.Loosen, but do not remove the mount (1) to strut tower (3) bolt (2).
White Line art Line Black-and-white Design

9.Remove the engine mount.

Engine Mount, Right / Installation

INSTALLATION

1.Set the right engine mount into position.

2.Tighten the right engine mount to strut tower bolt (2) finger tight.

3.Install the right engine mount to frame rail bolts (2). Finger tighten the bolts.

4.Install the right engine mount to engine bracket bolts (1). Finger tighten the bolts.

5.Tighten the right engine mount to strut tower bolt (2) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

Right Engine Mount to Frame Rail Bolts
63 Nm 46 ft lbs

Right Engine Mount to Strut Tower Bolt
50 Nm 37 ft lbs

Right Engine Mount to Engine Bracket Bolts
63 Nm 46 ft lbs

6.Tighten the right engine mount to frame rail bolts (2) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

7.Tighten the right engine mount to engine bracket bolts (1) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

NOTE:

8.Perform the Engine Mount Neutralization procedure (Refer to 09 - Engine/Engine Mounting/Standard Procedure) .

9.Install the coolant reservoir bottle and tighten the coolant reservoir bottle bolts (3) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

10.Install the air box assembly (Refer to 09 - Engine/Air Intake System/BODY, Air Cleaner/Installation) .

11.Install the engine cover.

12.Install the belly pan (Refer to 13 - Frame and Bumpers/Under Body Protection/BELLY PAN/Installation) .

13.Start the engine and check for vibrations.

ENGINE MOUNT NEUTRALIZATION

NOTE: Typical left engine mount shown.

1.Remove or relocate components as required to access the engine mount bolts (Refer to 09 - Engine/Engine Mounting/INSULATOR, Engine Mount/Removal) .

2.Loosen the left engine mount to transmission bracket bolts (2).

3.Loosen the left engine mount to frame rail bolts (3).

4.Loosen the bolt (2) for the left engine mount (3) to strut tower (1) attachment, if equipped.

NOTE: Typical right engine mount shown.

5.Remove or relocate components as required to access the engine mount bolts (Refer to 09 - Engine/Engine Mounting/INSULATOR, Engine Mount/Removal) .

6.Loosen the right engine mount to engine bracket bolts (1).

7.Loosen the right engine mount to frame rail bolts (2).

8.Loosen the bolt (2) for the right engine mount (1) to strut tower (3) attachment, if equipped.

NOTE: Typical rear engine mount shown.

9.Raise and support the vehicle (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting/Standard Procedure) .

10.Remove the belly pan (if equipped) (Refer to 13 - Frame and Bumpers/Under Body Protection/BELLY PAN/Removal) .

11. Loosen the rear engine mount to transmission bracket bolt (4) and nut (2).

12.Loosen the rear mount to crossmember bolt (1).

13.Center the powertrain in the engine mounts:
•Allow the powertrain to relax.
•Manually position the powertrain as close as possible to a position where the right and left engine mounts appear centered and are not skewed front-to-rear or side-to-side.
•Again, allow the powertrain to relax.

NOTE: Typical rear engine mount shown.

14.Tighten the rear engine mount to crossmember bolt (1) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

15.Tighten the rear engine mount to transmission bracket bolt (4) and nut (2) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

16.Install the belly pan (if equipped) (Refer to 13 - Frame and Bumpers/Under Body Protection/BELLY PAN/Installation) .

17.Lower the vehicle.

18.Tighten the right engine mount to strut tower bolt (2) to the proper (Torque Specifications) , if equipped.

NOTE: Typical right engine mount shown.

19.Tighten the right engine mount to frame rail bolts (2) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

20.Tighten the right engine mount to engine bracket bolts (1) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

21.Tighten the left engine mount to strut tower bolt (2) to the proper (Torque Specifications) , if equipped.

NOTE: Typical left engine mount shown.

22.Tighten the left engine mount to frame rail bolts (3) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

23.Tighten the left engine mount to transmission bracket bolts (2) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .

24.Install the components removed to access the engine mount bolts (Refer to 09 - Engine/Engine Mounting/INSULATOR, Engine Mount/Installation) .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could someone be amazing and send me a picture of the inside of the passenger side engine mount. All you have to do is take off air filter cover to get the rubber flap on the mount. I think mine has collapsed and that's what is causing the vibration issues but I'm not 100% sure without anything to compare it to.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Could someone be amazing and send me a picture of the inside of the passenger side engine mount.
Deyeme Racing Transmission & Side motor mounts: Installation & Comparison to OE (OE's pulled after 26k) should at least give you an idea or at least point you in the right direction. When I pulled my transmission and my side engine mounts out they were both deflated and this was only around 26k miles. Let me know if you need any other pics of the mounts and I will try and get some when I get home.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deyeme Racing Transmission & Side motor mounts: Installation & Comparison to OE (OE's pulled after 26k) should at least give you an idea or at least point you in the right direction. When I pulled my transmission and my side engine mounts out they were both deflated and this was only around 26k miles. Let me know if you need any other pics of the mounts and I will try and get some when I get home.
I appreciate the link but that post didn't have the picture I need. I need the inside of the passenger side engine mount so I can confirm that mine has collapsed. I'm 90% sure it has but I just want to be 100% before I order one. You get access to it by removing air filter cover and then pulling back the rubber flap that covers it. I need a picture of the inside of the rubber flap.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I appreciate the link but that post didn't have the picture I need. I need the inside of the passenger side engine mount so I can confirm that mine has collapsed. I'm 90% sure it has but I just want to be 100% before I order one. You get access to it by removing air filter cover and then pulling back the rubber flap that covers it. I need a picture of the inside of the rubber flap.
Patience is a virtue... @youngsmith53 said he would get you some pictures when he gets home from work. He is a man of his word! And if you are really in that much of a hurry then go to a dealership and ask them if they have one for you to look at and compare to yours! Then you can see the difference. There are such things as returns, so if they make you buy it, just take it back a day or two later and get your money back before buying the better deyeme one!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Patience is a virtue... @youngsmith53 said he would get you some pictures when he gets home from work. He is a man of his word! And if you are really in that much of a hurry then go to a dealership and ask them if they have one for you to look at and compare to yours! Then you can see the difference. There are such things as returns, so if they make you buy it, just take it back a day or two later and get your money back before buying the better deyeme one!
Yes, he told me to let him know so I was letting him know...

·
Registered
7 Posts
how many miles on your dart? we've had members report the mounts going bad as early as 25k miles

what happens when you turn on the A/C?
I have 150,000 miles and nothing out of the ordinary it just makes noise at certain angles and what not but I’m not sure exactly if it’s the transmission mount which I think it is but gotta take it in to get a full check on it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts