Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there is this squeaking/chirping sound coming from what seems to be under the engine by the firewall area. I've changed the belt and I've used a stethoscope and checked all the components on top area of the engine and no luck . I haven't checked under. Also the sound is there as long as the engine is running. The sound will change as I accelerate or deceleration. The sound stays constant when I'm at idle. If anyone has any idea what this could be please help. I've been dealing with this annoying sound since I got the car. It's gotten slightly louder over time but I'm starting to get worried. I have a sound clip that I tried uploading but I'm getting a message saying the file does not have an allowed extension. Can anyone help me upload a voice recording? Thanks !!

·
Super Moderator
3,387 Posts
When you replaced the belt, did you replace the tensioner?

·
Super Moderator
3,387 Posts
There is a bearing in there that could be dry. Try running a short time without the belt.

07 - Cooling / Accessory Drive / TENSIONER, Belt / Removal

1.4L

NOTE: The belt and tensioner can be removed from the top of the vehicle. Hoisting of the vehicle is not necessary.

1.Remove the air cleaner assembly (Refer to 09 - Engine/Air Intake System/AIR CLEANER/Removal)

CAUTION:
Do not let the tensioner arm snapback to the fully extended position, severe damage may occur to the tensioner.

2.Rotate the belt tensioner center bolt (2) counterclockwise.

3.Remove the serpentine belt (3).

4.Remove the tensioner mounting bolt (1).

5.Remove the tensioner from the vehicle.

07 - Cooling / Accessory Drive / TENSIONER, Belt / Installation

1.4L

1.Position the tensioner into position.

2.Align the belt tensioner tabs to the holes on the accessory bracket.

3.Install the mounting bolt (1). Tighten bolt (1) to 26 N·m (19 ft. lbs.).

4.Rotate the tensioner pulley bolt (2) counterclockwise and install the accessory drive belt (3).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just another thought. I kinda went through something slightly simiar but it is that my intake tube separated at the top. But mine sounds like a crazy fart pipe. lol. I'm posting footage here in a few. Will probably be at the top of the threads if you wanna check it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts