Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that this car is way too heavy for a 1.4L car. What are some improvements we can do in terms of weight reduction?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Spare tire kit, smaller battery, catback exhaust will save some weight too. Find some light weight 16" wheels. If you wanna go crazy you can start pulling interior panels from the trunk and stuff as well

·
Registered
157 Posts
My wrx that I raced scca with was completely gutted with just the dash front driver seat and the front door panels. You can go as far as removing the ac system as well but its a new car and Idk why you would want to. Also they make carbon fiber trunk and hood for them as well.

·
Registered
485 Posts
When i was preparing race cars for the Canadian GT Series ....we would completely gut them out ... send the carcass to get dipped in acid to remove all the seam sealer and panel putty all this for 75 lbs of weight saving ( removal of putty/sealer)

Then we would seam weld all the joints to give the car a stiffer feeling ...add the roll cage, fuel cell etc...

In all the car only actually weighed 250 lbs lees than stock due to the regulations of the roll cage and all the added welding and the beefier than stock suspension and other components.

Lot of effort to prep a race car ....

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I plan to maybe remove my spare and fill the area with stirefoam blocks to support the floor. Will that work? Any other ideas. Lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
You can go as Farr as pulling your interior out and stripping out all the sound deadening material. There are a lot of options but most people don't wanna do them on a new car

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im tryin to get below 3000lbs. so im gonna run off about 500 and then need help with the other ~200

·
Registered
157 Posts
im tryin to get below 3000lbs. so im gonna run off about 500 and then need help with the other ~200
Lol so basically it will come down to what you can live without in it. You could remove everything out of the trunk. Rear seat, smaller battery, dump pipe exhaust, a/c, lightweight 16" wheels, that should put you pretty damn close

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
My wrx that I raced scca with was completely gutted with just the dash front driver seat and the front door panels. You can go as far as removing the ac system as well but its a new car and Idk why you would want to. Also they make carbon fiber trunk and hood for them as well.
Well that depends on how its produced (wet or dry) and is it confirmed that the carbon fiber hoods for darts are actually less weight than stock - as I know some vehicles it is not. I cannot imagine spending $960 to only lose a pound or 2.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well that depends on how its produced (wet or dry) and is it confirmed that the carbon fiber hoods for darts are actually less weight than stock - as I know some vehicles it is not. I cannot imagine spending $960 to only lose a pound or 2.
Oh I agree completely I'm just trying to let him know what options there are. :)

·
Banned
2,546 Posts
dont for get the underbody aero crap. im sure thats another 30 to 40lbs of plastic panels under there too.

·
Banned
2,546 Posts
not to mention the darts hood is made of thin aluminum stock so changing to a carbon fiber would only be aesthetically pleasing, not weight removing. the trunk im not sure about i have never bought a carbon trunk,lol. RRM has a battery for the weight reduction purpose but its 450 dollars. rrm makes a light weight crank pulley that is .5 lbs compared to the stock 4 lbs,lol. replace the leather seats with either racing seats for a race look, or you can downgrade to the cloth seats. im pretty sure the injen CAI is lighter then the stock air box.

·
Banned
2,546 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at ;)
im thinking about removing the plastic panel crap under my car soon too. i dont like it, but it did save me while sleding over some snow and ice,lol. sounded aweful running over it but i guess its better then hitting the engine and other vitals,lol.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Another thing people seem to forget in the sport compact world is ditching those 17" and 18" wheels, those have GOT to weigh down the car. If I do get a Dart it would be the base-ish 2.4SXT, it may handle worse (I wouldn't care) but it would have lighter suspension, lighter wheels, less gadgets and I am willing to bet it would take a GT even with the supposed less aggressive tune which would be irrelevant anyways because I would get the Spectre tune to rid myself of that rev limiter. Honestly I believe until we can actually take advantage of the 2.4's 184 HP (Chrysler's way too conservative rev limiter) we can't get into the times we want. For n/a winding out the engine is everything and I know the the 2.4 MA flows good cfm, we just have to tap into it. But back to weight, these wheels might be ugly to most but I bet they have less rotating mass than the big 5 spokes.

images.ascchus.com.png

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Another thing people seem to forget in the sport compact world is ditching those 17" and 18" wheels, those have GOT to weigh down the car. If I do get a Dart it would be the base-ish 2.4SXT, it may handle worse (I wouldn't care) but it would have lighter suspension, lighter wheels, less gadgets and I am willing to bet it would take a GT even with the supposed less aggressive tune which would be irrelevant anyways because I would get the Spectre tune to rid myself of that rev limiter. Honestly I believe until we can actually take advantage of the 2.4's 184 HP (Chrysler's way too conservative rev limiter) we can't get into the times we want. For n/a winding out the engine is everything and I know the the 2.4 MA flows good cfm, we just have to tap into it. But back to weight, these wheels might be ugly to most but I bet they have less rotating mass than the big 5 spokes. View attachment 28030
Wheel weight is a good point. Thank you for bringing that to the table.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wheel weight is a good point. Thank you for bringing that to the table.
Also when picking out tires check the actual weight of the rubber a lot of the more expensive track tires are a lot lighter. If you go with a 16" lightweight wheel and good tires there is potential to drop a lot of weight!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts