Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else have a water leak in their Dart? Wish i'd have noticed mine much sooner, but last week i noticed my rear passenger side floor was entirely soaked. Touching the floor mat resulted in a wet hand (not damp to the touch... actually see water on my hand). Was supposed to have dropped it off at the dealer this past weekend so they could look into it on Monday (their leak test guy is only there Monday's), but something came up and i wasn't able to. By that point it was already starting to dry, and could only tell there was a problem by pressing down on the carpeting in the back, at which point there was a quite easily audible *squish* sound. My parents keep telling me they'll blame it on the roof racks, but A) they're the same racks that Mopar themselves sell, and B) i'm pretty sure a company like Thule wouldn't have a roof rack recommended for a vehicle if they would cause a leak. Not to mention that we had a pretty nasty storm last night which i had to drive in, and this morning i checked my floor again, and not only is the back passenger floor back to the way it was when i first noticed it, but the front passenger side is also making a *squish* sound, and is damp to the touch.

Anybody also happen to know what a dealer might do in this situation? I know it's a bit much to say, but i'd be a bit miffed if they DO find a hole in the floor somewhere above the aerodynamic under-body paneling or something like that, and their solution is to weld a plate over it or something of the sort.

· Registered
552 Posts
Anybody else have a water leak in their Dart? Wish i'd have noticed mine much sooner, but last week i noticed my rear passenger side floor was entirely soaked. Touching the floor mat resulted in a wet hand (not damp to the touch... actually see water on my hand). Was supposed to have dropped it off at the dealer this past weekend so they could look into it on Monday (their leak test guy is only there Monday's), but something came up and i wasn't able to. By that point it was already starting to dry, and could only tell there was a problem by pressing down on the carpeting in the back, at which point there was a quite easily audible *squish* sound. My parents keep telling me they'll blame it on the roof racks, but A) they're the same racks that Mopar themselves sell, and B) i'm pretty sure a company like Thule wouldn't have a roof rack recommended for a vehicle if they would cause a leak. Not to mention that we had a pretty nasty storm last night which i had to drive in, and this morning i checked my floor again, and not only is the back passenger floor back to the way it was when i first noticed it, but the front passenger side is also making a *squish* sound, and is damp to the touch. Anybody also happen to know what a dealer might do in this situation? I know it's a bit much to say, but i'd be a bit miffed if they DO find a hole in the floor somewhere above the aerodynamic under-body paneling or something like that, and their solution is to weld a plate over it or something of the sort.
Passenger side? Is the AC on? If it is, it could be the condensation line for the AC is clogged. Air compressor would clean that right out

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, passenger side. Yes, i tend to use the AC, though i also try to drive with the windows open whenever possible. Doubt the line is clogged, since i still usually see a stream of water from under the car if i go into a store or something.

On top of that, would be worried if the condensation line managed to completely soak the REAR passenger side carpet FIRST.

· Registered
552 Posts
Yes, passenger side. Yes, i tend to use the AC, though i also try to drive with the windows open whenever possible. Doubt the line is clogged, since i still usually see a stream of water from under the car if i go into a store or something. On top of that, would be worried if the condensation line managed to completely soak the REAR passenger side carpet FIRST.
Hmm. Could be a door seal issue, possible roof rack issue. Other then that, I'm out of ideas. Hope you find the cause soon

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought about door seal... but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of the water leaking into the cab anywhere near the doors. Not to mention that aside from that tiny little rubber flap at the very outside edge of the door, which is the only part of the door that the roof rack fit kit interferes with, there are the other two major rubber seals that are unchanged. There are times where i open the doors, and a small puddle of water falls out from the door sill area... but there's no noticable way for the water to get from there, up and over the plastic bits that cover the wiring tunnels and everything, and to the floor. Not to mention that the floors don't seem to get any wetter if the car is just sitting outside in a heavy storm. Only seems to be affected if i'm driving in the rain.

· Registered
89 Posts
I just got mine back from the dealer for the exact same problem. They water tested it and found there to be no leaks. On further investigation, they found that the drain used by the AC unit was cracked and leaking into the car. It is apparently also used by rain to drain out below the car from the front window area. They ordered me a new part and are going to call me when it arrives. They said it'll take about half a day to install due to the amount of work required to get to the part.

We'll see how that fix goes when its done, but in the mean time I'm stuck in a heat wave without AC unless I want to add more water to the car. On the upside, they offered to detail the inside to make sure the carpets and lining underneath are clean and dried out.

At least I know I'm not the only one. lol

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... dropped my Dart off at the dealer on Sunday to have this looked at on Monday. They found that the sound deadening material under the car apparently must have shifted and was not allowing proper drainage... so they readjusted it.... or something like that. I asked what exactly would NEED to drain... but apparently the guy who i'd have had to have asked that question to wasn't there today... i'll have to ask tomorrow when i pick the car up. Kinda sounds like a bit of BS to me... but we'll see.

· Registered
843 Posts
We had a small rain shower pass threw yesterday. When I opened my door after work I watched about a half a cup of water pour out of the rubber seal at the bottom of the door. Opened the other doors, same thing. I can only imagine the rust these cars are going to have in a few years.

· Registered
89 Posts
I got my Dart back after three days in the shop. I'll post some pictures up when I'm on my other computer. So far the water issue on mine seems to be resolved. They dismantled most of the inside. It was a bit sad to see a car that's only two months old with the whole steering column removed and on the floor, the dash being held up with a jack, the doors removed, etc. Apparently the A/C drain was a bit more of a replacement job then they realized.

· Registered
1,389 Posts
I got my Dart back after three days in the shop. I'll post some pictures up when I'm on my other computer. So far the water issue on mine seems to be resolved. They dismantled most of the inside. It was a bit sad to see a car that's only two months old with the whole steering column removed and on the floor, the dash being held up with a jack, the doors removed, etc. Apparently the A/C drain was a bit more of a replacement job then they realized.
luxsphinx,

Sorry to hear the repairs needed to extend to those lengths.
It is certainly disappointing when a new vehicle needs to be taken apart like that, disheartening to see indeed.
Glad to know things are all sorted now though !!!

1 Posts
We had a small rain shower pass threw yesterday. When I opened my door after work I watched about a half a cup of water pour out of the rubber seal at the bottom of the door. Opened the other doors, same thing. I can only imagine the rust these cars are going to have in a few years.
Mines does the same exact thing. The front and back of the car is drenched with water. I removed the two front seats and took out all the carpet. Removed all of the drain plugs on the floor. The water is somehow missing the drain holes on the doors when it rains and diverting it inside the car. The rubber seal on the car fills up with water then overflow under the carpet. The manufacturer did a poor job with the Dodge Darts. Soo many problems. I regret buying this car. I think I will sell it and get a Toyota instead.
The left rear had the most water. About 2 inches of water. The right rear, right front and left front had minimal amount of water. But still there's a leak so it's a problem. The carpet will develop mold and it will stink badly. You'll have to wet/dry vac the carpet and under the carpet all the time. I'll have to somehow figure out a solution to get this problem fixed. In the meantime the carpet will be left out of the car so i can vacuum the water when it builds up.

· Registered
2,318 Posts
Mines does the same exact thing. The front and back of the car is drenched with water. I removed the two front seats and took out all the carpet. Removed all of the drain plugs on the floor. The water is somehow missing the drain holes on the doors when it rains and diverting it inside the car. The rubber seal on the car fills up with water then overflow under the carpet. The manufacturer did a poor job with the Dodge Darts. Soo many problems. I regret buying this car. I think I will sell it and get a Toyota instead.
The left rear had the most water. About 2 inches of water. The right rear, right front and left front had minimal amount of water. But still there's a leak so it's a problem. The carpet will develop mold and it will stink badly. You'll have to wet/dry vac the carpet and under the carpet all the time. I'll have to somehow figure out a solution to get this problem fixed. In the meantime the carpet will be left out of the car so i can vacuum the water when it builds up.
Your drain holes on the doors are probably clogged with debris. Inspect them for any blockages.

· Registered
1 Posts
My 2016 dart SXT has been taking on water, was sold to me through the most predatory loan agency Santander LLC, this car is amazing and has so many issues, including but not limited to two replacement engines and now the intake of water. As I just mentioned I love this car very much but I'm superbly disappointed in Dodge for such a poor end result on a car that could have been so amazing. I'd love to live in a reality where the manufacturer of this car is willing to help me because I love the car so much but I know I'll end up paying out my rear again to keep this car, her name is El Darto, really just a terrible terrible disappointment by the manufacturer and what they decided was the rollout product on this. Great job guys 🤓

1 - 15 of 15 Posts