Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have '13 Dart and began the process of upgrading my speakers. Yesterday I found myself expediting that process after finding that the drivers' side front door speaker blew unexpectedly (I dont abuse my speakers). When I took the door panel off, I found a bunch of water. As it had rained earlier in the day, I'm thinking rain got in and shorted it, but it would seem to me that water shouldn't be getting inbetween the metal door frame and the plastic housing for the speaker if the weather stripping is in place.

I inspected all the stripping and it seems to me that it's all in tact, so I'm thinking that there might be a bigger design flaw here and just wanted to see if other Dart owners have found something similar or if it's just me and some non-standard issue.

Picture attached shows the water that got in (pic is of the passenger side door which was the same, wet). Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,343 Posts
The insides of the doors are not meant to be waterproof. There is a drain hole near the front edge bottom and at the rear edge bottom. Make sure those are not plugged. If a window has been replaced in the past, there could be chunks of glass blocking the holes. If you have an air compressor, blow air through the holes while observing through the speaker cavity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, I would think that sooner or later every speaker would fail given these conditions. Thank you for the response! I will check and blow out the drain holes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would recommend pulling all the duct tape off for two reasons: it's not waterproof and the sound quality will suffer. Take a plastic garbage bag and cut it to the shape of the speaker but a little bigger and leave the very bottom open. Tape it to the edges of the speaker's edge, then install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts