Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning my 2013 Dart(Header Orange) mileage 46,000 mi over the weekend, and found some bubbling on the left rear door seam. I pushed on it, and the paint came off to reveal rust from the inside out. I checked my FCA Warranty, and I am out of Warranty by time, so what now?

I was reading online, and seems you can slow the rusting by spraying fluid film(rust inhibitor) on the inside of the door, and around the seam. Now I will need to look at all the other body seams for rusting, and keep an eye on it. Other than getting a new door, there isn't many options. The rust is only visible on the inside of the door, not the outside. Other than stone chips, the body is in good condition for the low miles, as I only drive this car to work and back.

Attaching photos

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Rust warranty is normally 10 years but they're picky on when they cover it. The only way to prevent rust would be to sand it and remove all the rust. Spraying anything on the rust now is too late, you gotta get it removed or it will keep spreading

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
Check your local you pull junkyard for a wrecked Dart. I have seen some perfect doors that nobody takes. Getting one painted to match would probably be the biggest expense.

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
Rust warranty is normally 10 years but they're picky on when they cover it. The only way to prevent rust would be to sand it and remove all the rust. Spraying anything on the rust now is too late, you gotta get it removed or it will keep spreading
This is from Dodge's 2013 warranty booklet:

2.2 Corrosion Warranty

A. Who Is Covered?
You are covered if you are a purchaser for use of the vehicle.

B. What’s Covered
This warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair or replace any sheet metal panels that get holes from rust or other corrosion. If a hole occurs because of something other than corrosion, this warranty does not apply. Cosmetic or surface corrosion — resulting, for example, from stone chips or scratches in the paint — is not covered. For more details on what isn’t covered by this warranty, see 3.5.

C. How Long It Lasts
The Corrosion Warranty starts when your Basic Limited Warranty begins under 2.1(E). This warranty has two time-and-mileage limits:

•For sheet metal panels, the limit is 36 months, with no mileage limit.
•For an outer-body sheet metal panel — one that is finish-painted and that someone can see when walking around the vehicle — the limits are 5 years or100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

·
Registered
759 Posts
This is from Dodge's 2013 warranty booklet:

2.2 Corrosion Warranty

A. Who Is Covered?
You are covered if you are a purchaser for use of the vehicle.

B. What’s Covered
This warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair or replace any sheet metal panels that get holes from rust or other corrosion. If a hole occurs because of something other than corrosion, this warranty does not apply. Cosmetic or surface corrosion — resulting, for example, from stone chips or scratches in the paint — is not covered. For more details on what isn’t covered by this warranty, see 3.5.

C. How Long It Lasts
The Corrosion Warranty starts when your Basic Limited Warranty begins under 2.1(E). This warranty has two time-and-mileage limits:

•For sheet metal panels, the limit is 36 months, with no mileage limit.
•For an outer-body sheet metal panel — one that is finish-painted and that someone can see when walking around the vehicle — the limits are 5 years or100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.
Even better, dodge just get worse and worse with warranty

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
Even better, dodge just get worse and worse with warranty
And if you don't catch it right away, you're out of luck. I had a couple of paint bubbles and cracks along the front edge on my Grand Caravan that they refused to cover because I should have spotted them sooner, despite it obviously being the result of a defective paint job or improperly manufactured hood. I'd have probably put up a fight if it was my Dart (I've seen a couple of people who had similar issues like that with badly made hoods), but I find it hard to work up much energy for a vehicle whose very existence I loathe. It's a minivan, so it is occasionally useful. Besides that, its only use is that if I win the lottery, I'm putting racing tires on it, taking it to a road track, and doing the hottest laps it can manage until it is dead beyond salvation. My hope would be "burnt down to the frame rails" is how the results would be described. Barring that, it will rust to death like so many Caravans and Grand Caravans before it, I suppose.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I'd have probably put up a fight if it was my Dart (I've seen a couple of people who had similar issues like that with badly made hoods), but I find it hard to work up much energy for a vehicle whose very existence I loathe. It's a minivan, so it is occasionally useful. Besides that, its only use is that if I win the lottery, I'm putting racing tires on it, taking it to a road track, and doing the hottest laps it can manage until it is dead beyond salvation. My hope would be "burnt down to the frame rails" is how the results would be described. Barring that, it will rust to death like so many Caravans and Grand Caravans before it, I suppose.
I'm laughing at this way more than I probably should. Would you ever replace the minivan with a truck? I love our Ram, and I normally hate driving trucks.

·
Registered
759 Posts
And if you don't catch it right away, you're out of luck. I had a couple of paint bubbles and cracks along the front edge on my Grand Caravan that they refused to cover because I should have spotted them sooner, despite it obviously being the result of a defective paint job or improperly manufactured hood. I'd have probably put up a fight if it was my Dart (I've seen a couple of people who had similar issues like that with badly made hoods), but I find it hard to work up much energy for a vehicle whose very existence I loathe. It's a minivan, so it is occasionally useful. Besides that, its only use is that if I win the lottery, I'm putting racing tires on it, taking it to a road track, and doing the hottest laps it can manage until it is dead beyond salvation. My hope would be "burnt down to the frame rails" is how the results would be described. Barring that, it will rust to death like so many Caravans and Grand Caravans before it, I suppose.
Here's head of fca global design Ralph Gilles old track minivan

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
Here's head of fca global design Ralph Gilles old track minivan
Yes, well, that minivan was probably modified to survive this. My plan is just the opposite. My van would end the day being towed away for parts, scrap metal, or a special investigation of some sort. :)

I'm laughing at this way more than I probably should. Would you ever replace the minivan with a truck? I love our Ram, and I normally hate driving trucks.
It's my wife's daily driver (when there's anywhere to drive), and I use it sometimes when I need the space or if I let my daughter take the Dart. This surprises people, but she loves driving too, and the way I see it, she's 17 and she'll only have so many summers where she has one of the bests freedoms of adulthood (use of a set of wheels) without all the responsibilities of an adult. So I'm inclined to let her enjoy the use of my car. Trucks are kind of expensive for what they offer, and I wouldn't be able to resist the rumble of a V8, which would mean a massive fuel hog. Also, I don't really need a truck for anything. I'd probably get my wife a compact or mid-sized crossover SUV. That would suit her well and be much less offensive than a minivan.

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Yes, well, that minivan was probably modified to survive this. My plan is just the opposite. My van would end the day being towed away for parts, scrap metal, or a special investigation of some sort. :)

Big enough for you?

·
Registered
759 Posts
That was just a van made for hauling the family around, so maintenance and that's about it

·
Premium Member
2013 Dart Limited 1.4T 6-Speed
231 Posts
Mine started rusting above the windshield and bubbling at the leading edge of the hood within a year of the 5-year corrosion warranty expiring. I probably will not buy another domestic vehicle as long as I live in the Midwest. My European cars have done so much better with holding off corrosion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts