Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 GT 2.4L AT
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, just wondering if I'm the only one with transmission issues after the W20 oil consumption recall?? The tranny was shifting a little sluggish after the recall but I've been driving it aggressively trying to get my old shift pattern back. Now, seemingly out of the blue, I've been having transmission issues (P0713 code popping up randomly, clears but comes back eventually) I'm wondering if its just my luck or has the recall been the fly in the ointment on this one. I have a 2016 Dart GT 2.4Lw/auto and barely 36000 miles (56000 kms) on the clock.

·
Administrator
5,642 Posts
That code probably has nothing to do with the recall. The flash is for the PCM not the TCM. Since it's intermittent and the description has the word circuit, check the wiring first. If you have a bluetooth scanner and an appropriate app, you can monitor transmission fluid temps. The sensor is under the valve body cover. It isn't available as a separate part. You could get the temp sensor from a self serve junkyard.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM), 6F24 / Diagnosis and Testing

P0713-00-TRANSMISSION FLUID TEMPERATURE SENSOR A CIRCUIT HIGH
Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Diagram

Product Rectangle Azure Font Sky

Theory of Operation

The purpose of this diagnostic is to check the electrical performance of the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor circuit. The TFT sensor is an analog device for which the TCM performs A/D conversion every 80 msec. The malfunction conditions detected by this diagnostic include shorted to battery, short to ground, and open circuit failures. If the TFT sensor circuit is out of range high (shorted to battery or open circuit) or out of range low (shorted to ground), a fault is detected.

•When Monitored:
System voltage greater than 9.0 Volts.

Engine rpm greater than 400 rpm.

No other transmission temperature sensor DTCs.

•Set Condition:
Transmission fluid temperature voltage is greater than 3.26 volts for more than 5 seconds.

Possible Causes

(T54) TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
(T54) TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
(T820) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE

·
Registered
2016 GT 2.4L AT
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That code probably has nothing to do with the recall. The flash is for the PCM not the TCM. Since it's intermittent and the description has the word circuit, check the wiring first. If you have a bluetooth scanner and an appropriate app, you can monitor transmission fluid temps. The sensor is under the valve body cover. It isn't available as a separate part. You could get the temp sensor from a self serve junkyard.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM), 6F24 / Diagnosis and Testing

P0713-00-TRANSMISSION FLUID TEMPERATURE SENSOR A CIRCUIT HIGH
View attachment 128555
View attachment 128554

Theory of Operation

The purpose of this diagnostic is to check the electrical performance of the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor circuit. The TFT sensor is an analog device for which the TCM performs A/D conversion every 80 msec. The malfunction conditions detected by this diagnostic include shorted to battery, short to ground, and open circuit failures. If the TFT sensor circuit is out of range high (shorted to battery or open circuit) or out of range low (shorted to ground), a fault is detected.

•When Monitored:
System voltage greater than 9.0 Volts.

Engine rpm greater than 400 rpm.

No other transmission temperature sensor DTCs.

•Set Condition:
Transmission fluid temperature voltage is greater than 3.26 volts for more than 5 seconds.

Possible Causes

(T54) TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
(T54) TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
(T820) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE
Thanks Case, I'm just trying to augment my understanding to see if perhaps others have this issue and they could possibly be related. I understand the repair procedure and will get it checked out. Just satisfying my curiosity!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, I’m having the same issue. My car won’t even run at this point. It’s just as you described. No power and the performance kept getting worse after the recall. I’m having a mechanic I trust look at it. I’m not bothering with the dealer anymore.
Hey there, just wondering if I'm the only one with transmission issues after the W20 oil consumption recall?? The tranny was shifting a little sluggish after the recall but I've been driving it aggressively trying to get my old shift pattern back. Now, seemingly out of the blue, I've been having transmission issues (P0713 code popping up randomly, clears but comes back eventually) I'm wondering if its just my luck or has the recall been the fly in the ointment on this one. I have a 2016 Dart GT 2.4Lw/auto and barely 36000 miles (56000 kms) on the clock.

·
Registered
2016 GT 2.4L AT
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car goes into the shop today HOPEFULLY for something simple and inexpensive. I've owned and driven a Dodge product since 1992...this is the first time I'm worried about a repair bill!!!!:eek::eek:

·
Registered
2016 GT 2.4L AT
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so wiring and sensors looked good. They ran a TCM reprogram and then a Quick learn procedure on the transmission. The tech said its still slipping in the 2-3 upshift and it seems to get worse as the transmission heats up, I tend to agree with that statement. I am able to drive it, worst case scenario it goes back into limp mode and that's that. The next step is to pull off the transmission pan and do a valve body test (about 5 hours labour) and see if there are any hardware issues from there. All in all...not a good scenario, only cost me $300 so far but I fear the worst is yet to come. Anybody on here know if DodgeCares is still around??? I'd like to chat about this as my vehicle is still under the 60000 kms mark,.,,sort of a bit disappointed/angry about that.

·
Administrator
5,642 Posts
21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Automatic - 6F24 / Diagnosis and Testing

6F24 POWER FLOW

Hydraulic power flow is controlled by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and the solenoids attached to the valve body. The TCM toggles control voltage or ground on and off in a duty cycle to regulate the line pressure flowing through the valve body. The lower the duty cycle percentage is the higher the line pressure. The pressure can be measured
with Adapters, Transmission Line Pressure 2013900210 and Gauge, Pressure 0-300 P.S.I. C-3293-SP .
Font Auto part Engineering Diagram Drawing
Font Number Screenshot

Font Material property Pattern Number Parallel

Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Screenshot

Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Number

Font Pattern Parallel Rectangle Number

1 - 7 of 7 Posts