Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2015 Dart Ralley 2.4 as the title says, had some bent intake valves from not relearning Cam & Crankshaft positions after a motor swap. I've got the new valves in and almost ready to go back together but I just found some literature about putting the VVAA back on and that I'd need a special tool 10259b. Just wondering if this is necessary or if there might be a work around because I don't have $600+ for a tool I'll use once and then never use again. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Administrator
5,642 Posts
If you incrementally sequentially tighten each bolt half a turn at a time, it should seat evenly without the tool. It's just a foolproof alignment tool. Just make sure the centerlines of the plungers align with the centerlines of the valve stems. Once you are sure it's right do the 3 step torque procedure:
•Step 1: All to 10 N·m (89 in. lbs.).
•Step 2: All to 22 N·m (16 ft. lbs.).
•Step 3: All again to 22 N·m (16 ft. lbs.).

Reactions: JoeBurke

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you incrementally sequentially tighten each bolt half a turn at a time, it should seat evenly without the tool. It's just a foolproof alignment tool. Just make sure the centerlines of the plungers align with the centerlines of the valve stems. Once you are sure it's right do the 3 step torque procedure:
•Step 1: All to 10 N·m (89 in. lbs.).
•Step 2: All to 22 N·m (16 ft. lbs.).
•Step 3: All again to 22 N·m (16 ft. lbs.).
Hey I'm wondering if I could get some more info from you about the exhaust valve lash adjusters. When I was tearing down the head I didn't even think of making sure the adjusters and rockers on the exhaust side were in order and now I'm trying to find if there's a lash adjustment procedure or if they're more worried about wear patterns on the used ones. and also I read that they're not supposed to be spongy and 6 out of 8 I can depress with my fingers and I'm wondering if that means they're bad or if that's normal when not installed. Thanks again

·
Administrator
5,642 Posts
The hydraulic lifters and the rockers should ideally be installed in their original locations. Replace those that are spongy and since most of them will be new, rockers can probably be installed randomly. Oil pressure will fill the lifters and there is no lash adjustment.

Reactions: JoeBurke

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hydraulic lifters and the rockers should ideally be installed in their original locations. Replace those that are spongy and since most of them will be new, rockers can probably be installed randomly. Oil pressure will fill the lifters and there is no lash adjustment.
Okay thanks again, without these answers I'd probably end up doing this 2 or 3 times over. I can't overstate how grateful I am for the help you've given me have a good weekend!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts