Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1137 Posts

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I finally decided to start a build thread since I have some big plans ahead now that I no longer have a factory warranty ( except my drivetrain, I know). I'm going to start the post with a little background about myself, if you're not interested that's fine skip ahead to the second post where I will start with my build so far and future planned mods. I was born and raised in Warren, Michigan a suburb of Detroit until 2009 when I relocated with my family to Virginia because of my wife's work. My father worked for Chrysler for 45 years before his retirement a couple of years ago in the design department. He started out at the Highland Park headquarters and moved to the new headquarters in Auburn Hills when that facility was completed. I have been to both of them on numerous occasions. He was a clay modeler( now referred to as an industrial sculptor) and worked on every Dodge Charger from 1965 until the current redesign along with many other vehicles that Chrysler Corp. produced. To say my blood bleeds Mopar blue would be an understatement. I have owned everything from a 71 AMC Gremlin 4cyl, 72 Charger 318 with gator vinyl roof, 78 Dodge Magnum Force edition with a 400CI V8(1 of 25), 85 Daytona turbo Z, K cars, Rams (3), Jeep Grand Cherokees(5), and many more. I cureently own 2 2013 Darts, both Rallye cars with 1.4L turbos and a 2005 Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee with lift kit and Magnaflow custom exhaust along with a 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle.

I love to work on cars and have been doing so since I was 18 years old and bought my first car (the 78 Magnum). Unfortunately I had to trade in my 2007 Charger R/T with R/T package when I purchased my second Dart last May and have missed it ever since. Since Dodge chose not to produce a Dart R/T, I figured I would build my own. I plan on adding several mods in the next year or so until my oldest son graduates from college in June of 2015 when I will probably give this Dart to him. In keeping with Dodge's theme of R/T cars from the past and present, I will improve the handling/suspension,wheels, and performance of the "Orange Crush". I'll try to take as many pix of the upgrades as possible as I am doing them along with writeups so if anyone else is interested they will have an idea of what is involved. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask, I will try help you as much as I can.

I decide to add a quick reference guide for anyone that doesn't want to go through 85 pages of the thread looking for something in particular. I will list the mods that I've done and what page of the thread that they are on. A lot of the mods have a write-up on them also.

Mopar ground effects kit and trunk spoiler / page 1
Drilled/slotted Brakemotive rotors and ceramic pads / page 3
G2 painted brake calipers/brackets / page 6
AVS Ventvisors / page 7
Carbon fiber vinyl hood wrap / page 11
Thermal Research cat back exhaust / page 16
Carbon fiber vinyl roof wrap / page 18,78
Crosshair painting/insert wrap / page 18
Dash vents/trim / page 23,25
Vinyl wrap of gauge shroud / page 23,25
IP surround vinyl wrap / page 23,25
Dye of seat stripes/stitching / page 24
Door panel painting / page 24
Wheel stud conversion / page 29
Lug nuts / page 29
Radiator shroud / page 32
LED IP surround lighting / page 32
EL wire for IP surround lighting / page 41
Steering wheel trim painting / page 45
AC/radio control painting / page 51
TFT cluster conversion / page 51
Steering wheel badge / page 57
Inline Carbon carbon fiber hood / 67,72
Mopar fuel door / page 68
GFB DV+ diverter valve / page 69
Carbon fiber door pillar covers / page 73
Head rest patches / page 74
Carbon fiber trunk vinyl wrap / page 74
Turbo exhaust heat shield painting / page 75
Carbon fiber door sill covers / page 75
HPSI boost retainer / page 81
Front bumper insert carbon fiber vinyl wrap / page 81
Carbon fiber vinyl fender hash stripes / page 82
HPSI CAI / page 83

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I purchased the Orange Crush in May of 2013, 8 weeks after I bought the Silver Bullett. When I purchased my first Dart, I ordered the Mopar ground effects kit and the Mopar slush mats and trunk mat. I knew that the ground effects weren't out yet, but I figured I would place an order on them and have the dealer add it into the price of the car and just wait for them to come in. The slush mats and cargo mats showed up the day after I order them so I had those in the car ASAP. I love the mats, they are a perfect fit (obviously) and keep all the crap off of my carpet. I highly recommend them to anyone planning on keeping their car for any length of time. I'll post a few stock photos just to show the before transformation look.

IMAG0810.jpg

IMAG0812.jpg

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The first thing that showed up was the rear decklid spoiler. I had planned from the beginning that I wanted to do some of my accessories in the Hyper Black color so that it would match my rims. I ordered some paint from a company that is supposed to specialize in factory match colors. Well, the color wasn't spot on and had too much metallic flake in it. Plus their clear coat isn't vey good. Needless to say I will be ordering my paint from another company in the future to do my painting. The installation was very easy, after laying out the supplied template on the trunk, you just drill 2 holes in the trunk to insert the spoiler into. The spoiler also has 2 sided 3M tape around the entire perimeter to hold it down flush with the deck lid. The 2 bolts get tightened from inside the trunk after the liner is removed and the spoiler is attached with the tape. I had my son help me to line everything up before pressing it down into place. The entire install only took a couple of hours and I think it adds to the aggressive looks of the Dart. I will be sanding it down in the spring and repainting it to match the color of the new wheels that I just bought. It will be a gunmetal / graphite color.

IMAG1047.jpg

IMAG1140.jpg

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The next thing that arrived was the Mopar front chin spoiler. This was the easiest of the ground effects to install. It took less than 30 minutes to install and you only need a 8mm socket wrench, drill with a 1/4" bit, and a pom rivet tool. There are 6 8mm bolts that you have to remove from the bottom side of the front bumper / fascia cover. Then the Mopar spoiler has 2 notches that fit around 2 tabs that stick down where the cover was aligned to. Next you install the bolts that were removed. This will hold the spoiler fairly tight in place. There are some people that have just left left it in this condition. I also installed the supplied 13 rivets that came with the kit. There are holes pre fabricated in the spoiler for the rivets. You just take the drill with 1/4" bit and drill through the bumper cover, then install the supplied rivets with your pom rivet tool. The pom rivet tool is specially designed to install the plastic rivets that hold most of the plastic / rubber panels on cars now days. If you don't have a pom rivet tool, you can get one on Ebay or at Harbor Freight Tools for around $15. If you plan on doing any mods on your car, this is money well spent and will pay for itself in no time at all.

IMAG1729.jpg

IMAG1731.jpg

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I found a really good deal on a K&N CAI kit on Amazon.com right before Christmas so Santa bought it for me and I installed it a couple days later. This was a fairly easy install also, it took longer to remove the stock airbox and all the attachments than to hook up the new K&N intake. I already had the K&N drop-in filter installed. It was only $35, and gave the car a slightly more aggressive tone. However I was always wanting to get a CAI and I was tired of waiting for Mopar to release one. I have always used the Mopar CAI's on all of my other vehicles and been very happy with them, but I have to say that the K&N kit is also very good. I love the sound that I now get from the engine / turbo. It will definately be too loud for some people. It's a love it or hate it mod. This install only took an hour or so and is very straight forward with the supplied instructions.

IMAG1757.jpg

IMAG1759.jpg

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Next up was the Mopar rear air diffuser. I love the looks of this diffuser. I also installed a Mopar rear air diffuser on my 2007 Charger R/T and it adds a very cool sporty look to the vehicle. I must admit that this piece of the ground effects kit is the most time consuming part. I actually just re-did it this past weekend because I rushed it the first time and because the instructions for this piece aren't the best. You have to remove the license plate first, then there are 5 8mm bolts that have to be removed from underneath that hold the stock diffuser panel on. There are also 2 rivets that have to be drilled out with a 1/4" bit, and 5 push / pull fasteners that have to be removed. Then the stock panel gets removed by pulling it straight back to the rear which will release it from the rear bumper cover.

There is a groove in the rear bumper cover that has slots in it. There are also tabs of the diffuser panel that get inserted into the slots and snap in to hold it in place. The next 2 steps are fairly easy with the right tools, I used a very sharp 1" chisel to remove the tabs that stick down on the closeout panel so the new diffuser will fit flush. Then I used some metal snips to trim the round corners off of the gas tank cover panel. These corners have to be trimmed off so the bolt clips will fit over the factory holes to hold the new diffuser panel on. The next step is the trickiest part, this is the part that the instructions don't really warn you about. The easiest way to do it is with 2 people. The new diffuser panel has to be pushed in from the rear with the tabs insrted into the factory slots. When you do this, make sure you have someone hold the sides of the diffuser out from the groove so the tabs on the side don't get bent over and don't get inserted into the slots properly. I didn't do this and there ended being a gap between the rear bumper cover and the diffuser. It wasn't too bad at first but after a couple of weeks the gap became larger.

I finally removed the diffuser panel last weekend and didn't realize the tabs didn't go into the slots until I looked really close. Now everything lines up and fits perfectly flush with the bumper cover. After that you install 3 bolts and 3 push / pull fasteners that were removed at the beginning. Then the 2 side extensions get installed. These are held on with rivets and 2 sided tape. Make sure that the extensions are pushed completely into the diffuser, then push it up against the bottom of the cover. Then you just drill three 1/4" holes through the factory holes in the extensions and install the rivets with your pom rivet tool. Next you pull down on the outer edge of the extension, pull the plastic off of the 2 sided tape and push up into place. Repeat for the other side and tighten all of the bolts to spec. It's not really hard to do this, but you need to take your time and be patient. Also a helper will be very nice to have.

IMAG1880.jpg

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A couple of weeks later, the side sills / skirts showed up. This install didn't take very long, maybe a couple of hours. When I first looked under the car to locate the access holes in the rocker panels that you use to attach the sills, I couldn't find any. I thought that the factory screwed up and there weren't any. They are getting very fancy these days with their hole covers. When I first started working on cars a few years (ok decades) ago, these holes were filled with big rubber plugs. Now they just use clear pastic / vinyl covers and then paint right over top of them. I didn't even see them until I layed totally flat on the ground and saw a very slight ridge. The first couple I slowly started scraping the paint off with a painters tool to make sure I didn't peel off too much paint from the rocker panel in the process. I discovered that all you have to do is stick the corner of a putty knife / scraper under the edge of the tape cover, pull it down, and then just peel it off with some downward pressure. The first 2 covers took about 10 mins.

After that the remaining 8 or 10 only took a couple of minutes to remove. Next you just insert the supplied bolt brackets up into the holes. They snap in tight and have weather strip around the perimeter to keep water out. Then the sill gets put up into place and bolted up with the supplied bolts from the kit. Then just like the extensions for the rear air diffuser, you hold down the outer edge and peel off the plastic from the 2 sided tape and press up into place. Tighten the bolts to spec torque, and drill a hole in the front and install the supplied rivet.

IMAG1839.jpg

IMAG1845.jpg

IMAG1860.jpg

IMAG1870.jpg

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A couple of weeks ago, I found a great deal on some rims. I loved the look of the protoype rims that Mopar had on the Carbon Fire Dart show car. I looked for months and nobody had anything that was really close. I finally found some that were the same basic design and were in the exact color that I was looking for. They are 19 x 8 with a 40mm offset. I'm going to be getting some General G-Max AS-03 tires in 235/35/19 size. I had the Generals on my Charger and loved them. I'm also picking up a set of tpms sensors off Ebay for $125. I'll eventually be putting spacers on and probaly a lug nut conversion kit so I can have more choices for lugs. I'll probaly end up with black tuner lugs. I'm going to wait on the spacers so I can get an accurate measurement once I have the new wheels fitted to the car. I'm also going to be painting the calipers and brackets while I have the wheels off for the swap. I haven't decided for sure what color to do the calipers yet. I'm old school and think that calipers should be red, but I'm thinking maybe orange would look nice. It depends if I can find a really close color match to the header orange. I'm also going to be purchasing some Brakemotive drilled / slotted rotors and Centric Posi-quiet ceramic brake pads this weekend. So, when the weather finally breaks and the DOT gets the potholes fixed, I've got a full weekend planned.

orange 004.jpg

orange 002.jpg

orange 007.jpg

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Love it where it goes!! Keep it up! :)

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love it where it goes!! Keep it up!
Thanks, I have a lot of plans. Now I just need a lot of money,lol.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I also added the first visual clue as to what is coming. I added an R/T badge to the rear decklid and relocated the Turbo emblems to the front doors. I wanted to put the emblems at the back of the front fenders, but there is too much curve in the fenders for the emblems to adhere correctly. I ordered another emblem for the driver's side door. Hopefully it shows up tomorrow.

orange 011.jpg

orange 031.jpg

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Future mods list in no particular order of installation:

1. Thermal Research S/S exhaust
2. BC coilover suspension
3. Hotchkiss sway bar kit
4. RRM downpipe w/ highflow cat
5. RRM Ultimate ECU
6. RRM lightweight pulley
7. MPX strut brace
8. MPX ported throttle body
9. IC pipes
10. Header orange paint on interior trim pieces
11. Anthrocite color carbon fiber wrap on hood / roof
12. crosshair removal
13. foglight modification / upgrade

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I almost forgot about window tint and ventvisors too,lol.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just received the other oem Turbo emblem for the drivers side door today. Just finished washing her and will have it on tomorrow. Pix to follow. Going to order the brake rotors and pads tomorrow also.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Omg. I love your car!!!!!
Thanks, it's a work in progress. Just need some really nice spring weather,lol.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Future mods list in no particular order of installation:

1. Thermal Research S/S exhaust
2. BC coilover suspension
3. Hotchkiss sway bar kit
4. RRM downpipe w/ highflow cat
5. RRM Ultimate ECU
6. RRM lightweight pulley
7. MPX strut brace
8. MPX ported throttle body
9. IC pipes
10. Header orange paint on interior trim pieces
11. Anthrocite color carbon fiber wrap on hood / roof
12. crosshair removal
13. foglight modification / upgrade
Looks like we are going to have a "build-off" you and I...lolol :cool2:

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like we are going to have a "build-off" you and I...lolol
Let the games begin,lol. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just finished installing the Turbo emblem on the driver's door. I made a template on the passenger door and transfered it over to the other side. Emblems done.

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also received my sample of 3M Anthracite carbon fiber vinyl in the mail today. It's a good match to my rims so I'm going to order this to install on my hood, roof, and possibly the deck lid in the near future.

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

1 - 20 of 1137 Posts