Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm a proud owner of a White Dart Rallye 2.0L with a manual transmission. I picked it up on August 22 and I already have almost 5,000km. So far so good, except, seems like getting vibration from rear from day one when going over 120km. Went to dealer they rebalanced tires and still the same problem. Also went to private shop to rebalance wheels and the problem is still there. Does anyone have the same problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm a proud owner of a White Dart Rallye 2.0L with a manual transmission. I picked it up on August 22 and I already have almost 5,000km. So far so good, except, seems like getting vibration from rear from day one when going over 120km. Went to dealer they rebalanced tires and still the same problem. Also went to private shop to rebalance wheels and the problem is still there. Does anyone have the same problem? Thanks.
Dealership has clearly acknowledged the issue if they rebalanced the tires... If the wheels were balanced and came out right, and the issue is still there... I would say the issue is probably not with the tire/wheel itself. Too rule out the tire tho, make sure the air pressure for both are even and at factory recommended. Is the vibration from one side, or both? Can you tell? Check over the surface of the tire for any defects or spots that are obviously not normal (flat or malformed)..

Did they check alignment? Shouldn't be off but you never know! I would have the control arms checked for damage, bent, etc. Another possibility is that the brakes and rotors didn't brake in properly, or the rotor is bent or defective (and not balanced).

What I mean about the brakes and rotors not breaking in properly is this: Sometimes a hot spot forms on the rotor surface (different causes, usually heavy braking tho) that changes the the texture of the rotor surface slightly. I had this on one rotor in my Audi A6 where this one spot formed on one rotor (Brand new OEM rotors and new sports pad). When you're not pushing on the brakes, the pads still "glide" across the rotor. They don't retract, but they also don't exert any force... they just touch slightly. This hot spot that formed very hard for me to see with my eyes and I could kinda feel it by hand. BUT when I took a brake bad and slid it across the rotor surface, it stuck to that spot and friction at the point was great increased. So while driving under highway speeds I didn't really notice it, but at highway speed I had a noticeable "shimmy" feeling coming from that tire (luckily it was front left so I could easily feel and isolate where it was). As the rotor spun, it the brake pad would stick that one spot very slightly causing the shimmy/vibration.

You may be able to feel for it if you lift that side and spin the tire.. see if it tends to stick at a certain point or if there is any noticeable friction when slowly spinning the tire. Being in the rear, I don't know if you would definitely feel this when braking since most of your stopping power is up front... do you feel it more when braking, same, or not at all? Mine was in the front, so it got more severe when I braked.

Either way, if they acknowledged its there then keep bringing it back to them until it is fixed. Don't spend your money somewhere else when you have a brand new car with a perfectly good warranty!

Hope some of that helps you!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Definitely take it back to the dealer if the problem is still noticeable. If the tech who looked at it suspected it was a tire balance issue and the tires balanced out fine, then it is possible that one of the tires is defective. I have seen this several times with new tires, most often with Continental tires. If it was me working on the car, I would rotate both tires to the front and check to see if the vibration moved to the front, if it did, then move them back one at a time to verify which tire it is. My 2 cents. Good luck

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
R1 Dart,

Happy to hear that you're enjoying your Dart!
Being that the Dart is so new, I can honestly say this is the first I've heard of an issue.

A few questions for you though...
Does it only happen over 120km/h?
First thing in the morning or after warm up?
Did your dealer take it for a drive?
When you say balance, did they only look at the rear wheels or all 4 to be safe?
What else did they advise?

You can send me a PM if you want!

DennyB
Dodge Canada Top Care

·
Registered
9 Posts
R1 Dart,

I have the same issue around 50 mph and up but the rear windows need to be down and the front windows up. This sounds crazy but if I drive with my back windows just barely cracked and the front windows up the entire car starts to vibrate until I crack a front window. And the entire cabin goes under extreme pressure and it kills my wife and my ears. Anyone have this issue??

·
Registered
558 Posts
I believe that is part of the aerodynamics of the car. You can open the front windows by themselves but if you open the rear and get over around 30 MPH you have to open the front windows too in able to counter what you are experiencing. The first time it happened to me I thought I popped both rear tires.

·
Registered
550 Posts
R1 Dart,

I have the same issue around 50 mph and up but the rear windows need to be down and the front windows up. This sounds crazy but if I drive with my back windows just barely cracked and the front windows up the entire car starts to vibrate until I crack a front window. And the entire cabin goes under extreme pressure and it kills my wife and my ears. Anyone have this issue??
This is called Window buffeting and is not a mechanical issue with the car. It should be in the owner's manual. It has to do with the hi and low pressure differences outside and inside of the car from motion i believe (Bernoulli's principle), and the windows open basically causes turbulence in the car.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Vibration At Rear

Some times folks pay extra for that! ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is called Window buffeting and is not a mechanical issue with the car. It should be in the owner's manual. It has to do with the hi and low pressure differences outside and inside of the car from motion i believe (Bernoulli's principle), and the windows open basically causes turbulence in the car.
Owners manual. Nope never read and didn't plan on it...

Maybe another reason why I am misinformed and need to do research on my car... Or I could just join a site like this and ask.

·
Registered
738 Posts
And give many people great opportunities at sarcasm and entertainment. I like to make up goofy stuff for people to try in cases like this :)
Owners manual. Nope never read and didn't plan on it...

Maybe another reason why I am misinformed and need to do research on my car... Or I could just join a site like this and ask.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts