Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't owned a 4 cylinder in a long time. So I bought my 2013 Dodge dart. 1.4 l. ITER Turbo and when I pop the hood or even with the hood down I hear a slight knocking like it sounds like it could be bad gas or something but I put premium gas and I also add octane booster to it. But I still hear noise from the top of the engine like the lifters are knocking a little bit. It's not loud. Might be normal but I'm not sure. Does anybody have any ideas?

·
Administrator
5,853 Posts
You are hearing the MultiAir hydraulics and solenoids. There is a small oil filter for the MultiAir on the 1.4 that isn't too difficult to replace as a precaution and you don't trust the previous owner. If you don't have codes, it's likely normal.
Automotive design Art Organism Gesture Font

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Dart, 1.4 turbo, DDCT trans
4 Posts
I haven't owned a 4 cylinder in a long time. So I bought my 2013 Dodge dart. 1.4 l. ITER Turbo and when I pop the hood or even with the hood down I hear a slight knocking like it sounds like it could be bad gas or something but I put premium gas and I also add octane booster to it. But I still hear noise from the top of the engine like the lifters are knocking a little bit. It's not loud. Might be normal but I'm not sure. Does anybody have any ideas?
there is no need to use premium fuel - this engine does not have the compression to burn the added salts/manganese to make it burn slower (premium) check your oil level first - if ok, you might be hearing the injectors clicking if it's a slight noise - anything heavy would mean the engine has wear/sludge and would need some work - how many miles and how sludged is the filler cap?

·
Registered
20 Posts
EPA certification is with Premium. Manual recommends 91 or higher for best economy and performance. I'd say octane booster is a waste with premium. Yes, its a smart engine that will adjust to lower octane. But why run an engine like this and not get the benefits?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts