Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I spent about 2.5 hours finding out how this valve cover comes off. Holy crap I've never seen so many things bolted to a valve cover before...

Tools
-10mm Ratchet and/or wrench
-8mm Ratchet and/or wrench
-5/8 wrench
-Flathead screw driver
-New seals and gasket
-Cleaning supplies

75295383.jpg
*** There's a large Hex Post that needs to be removed that the PVC box bolts into. I used a 5/8 Wrench to remove it.***

After you have moved all of the brackets, Ignition wires, coil packs, PVC Box, Heat Shielding, and tubes, you're ready to remove the valve cover.

i2309155.jpg

The valve cover gasket is really easy and so are the spark plug seals. I just used a flat head screwdriver and pried out the spark plug seals from the top of the valve cover.
***Use this time to clean everything thoroughly.***

After you remove the seals and everything is clean you just pop the new seals and gasket in from the under side of the valve cover. Do everything in reverse and you're done!

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
So last night I spent about 2.5 hours finding out how this valve cover comes off. Holy crap I've never seen so many things bolted to a valve cover before...

Tools
-10mm Ratchet and/or wrench
-8mm Ratchet and/or wrench
-5/8 wrench
-Flathead screw driver
-New seals and gasket
-Cleaning supplies

View attachment 61846
*** There's a large Hex Post that needs to be removed that the PVC box bolts into. I used a 5/8 Wrench to remove it.***

After you have moved all of the brackets, Ignition wires, coil packs, PVC Box, Heat Shielding, and tubes, you're ready to remove the valve cover.

View attachment 61847

The valve cover gasket is really easy and so are the spark plug seals. I just used a flat head screwdriver and pried out the spark plug seals from the top of the valve cover.
***Use this time to clean everything thoroughly.***

After you remove the seals and everything is clean you just pop the new seals and gasket in from the under side of the valve cover. Do everything in reverse and you're done!
So just a question here... why did you decide to do this?

Reactions: pkgmsu2000

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cylinder 1 had oil around the spark plug from the spark plug seal that was broken. I actually sprayed some brake cleaner on it to clean it up a little bit and it started bubbling where it was leaking past the seal.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Cylinder 1 had oil around the spark plug from the spark plug seal that was broken. I actually sprayed some brake cleaner on it to clean it up a little bit and it started bubbling where it was leaking past the seal.
WOW, thats really surprising! Normally when you see oil on the head its due to the PCV o-ring going bad! But as i would assume that cylinder 1 is on the left side of the engine, that shouldnt be your issue! Good write up! hopefully you got everything fixed up!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I first replaced that O-ring but I was still losing oil pretty quickly. When I took the seals out they were hard as a rock and extremely brittle. Very concerning considering my car isn't tuned and only has 56k miles. So far so good though. I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where did you buy the parts I'm having trouble finding a place that will sell all of the required components. For whatever reason i can only get one or two pieces rather than the whole set.

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is this a one weekend job for someone who is not a mechanic but is mechanically inclined? The biggest job I have done is to replace the timing belt and front main seal on a miata. I have a lot of tools, but not too many specialized ones.

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
Yes, you should be able to do this yourself. You should have an inch pound torque wrench.
Here is a link to the FSM instructions:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts