Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Im not 100% sure if this is the right place to post this, but I looked at my expansion tank the other day and noticed it was very low. I thought it was a little odd since I recently added coolant.
I looked around to see any signs of leakage. I did see some dried coolant around the upper hose by the plastic T connector to the heater hose and of course dried drips on the under pan.
My first thought is well, ok, the car is a 16 and looks like original hoses and clamps, so I was investigating the possibility of a cracked connector or bad clamps. One auto parts house wanted about $55 for a replacement (from the radiator to the connector to the engine Thermostat?) seemed a bit much. I looked at another parts house whom wanted $210 for the same part. (No, not the dealer), But on that note, they said it would be about a week before they could get to it, put it on a rack and check it out. Really???
At this point I went online and found the same part (Complete hose with fitting etc, for $26 plus about $10 for shipping. Beats the hell out of $210 or $56.
I still dont know why the big price diff. Anyway, I ordered and waiting for my weekend project.

Just seems to me, why replace the whole thing when all that really needs to be done it the plastic T fitting or the clamps since the hoses look to be in good shape other than its 5 years old?

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Ok, so I saved a bunch of money finding a replacement hose, but now my task is the clamps.

I was told at a big brand parts house to go to NAPA auto to get clamps that wont cut into the hoses after driving on rough roads. I checked out NAPA, but they did not have those clamps in stock.

Im tempted to see what the dealer wants for them. But on a side note, all of the websites I checked out show 2 different clamps for the upper hose, yet they say it can be used for either side. My other problem here is that the one from the "T" going to the heater?. There is no part shown in the IPB for that hose clamp. Can I/Should I use a regular clamp? Im wondering since it will have the same pressure as the main hoses in the colling system. Again, I will see what the dealer has.

· Registered
57 Posts
I've replaced a couple hoses and just used worm gear hose clamps from the auto parts store. This car always had a slight leak in that one radiator hose from day one. After it started leaking more I just replaced the whole hose. I was almost going to buy constant tension clamps we use on military vehicles at work, but I got lazy and just used regular ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts