Dodge Dart Forum banner

Update on Jegs Oil Air Separator.... Not as good as I'd hoped for

10K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  sherriemcdougle 
#1 ·
Hey there guys...

Im just doing a quick write up for those of you who have added a Jegs Oil Air Separator to their PCV as a "catch can"...

Here's a picture so you know what I am talking about.

Auto part Vehicle Car Tire Engine

So, at first glance it is a pretty simple setup... It comes with the oil-air separator, (2) 3/8" hose barb fittings, and a mounting bracket.

Very simple install for me, I just took off the old hose from the PCV to the intake manifold (which is where majority of the blow-by gases get sent). Then, I "measured" two lengths of 3/8" hose (I used gates fuel hose for the durability and anti-colapse tendencies) Here's what it looks like after i got it installed...
Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Machine

Auto part Vehicle Car Engine Fuel line

So, after about 3 months this item has done exactly what I wanted it to for the $50 I spent on it... Catch the oil before it gets into the intake manifold. It has done a great job!!!

BUT... after this 3 month period I have found that the plastic that this is made out of is not suitable for the extreme heat that the 1.4 turbo puts out in the engine bay. The increased temp has caused the bottom of the catch to start to crack from stress of heat and pressure.

So much, that the caught oil is starting to leak out of the cracks a little... (I will post some pictures of the damage tomorrow)
Now I have taken the thing apart at least 4-5 times to remove the oil from inside and clean it and the filter off. That may have something to do with the cracking, it may not... im not sure.

I ordered the ADD W1 oil catch can from Ebay and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, I will most likely add some pictures of unboxing and install tomorrow when I get it done.
Camera accessory Cameras & optics Teleconverter

Personal protective equipment Auto part

I mainly wanted to warn anyone who has the turbo and has this filter to be careful and keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesnt break completely while your driving or leak oil all over your engine bay!!! @yodamusic

I cant remember off the top of my head who all was in on the discussion when I first installed and /or who else has one installed on their dart, so anyone who has one, inspect it and make sure it is holding up for you!

I will post more when I have the time... aka damages to the jegs oil-air separator and new can!!!

See less See more
Reactions: RRM_LuckyJay
#4 ·
You got it bud! I will post some pictures of the canister and what has happened... @yodamusic make sure yours isnt falling apart yet and lll let you know when i get the other one installed and how it works... if you maybe want to upgrade.

Reactions: pkgmsu2000
#7 ·
So I took the separator off and put the stock hose back on until I get the other catch can... Hopefully tomorrow!

Here are some pictures of what this thread was started for...

Auto part Fuel line Tire Scientific instrument Metal

Auto part Gauge Bearing

Auto part Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Pipe

And here are some of it taken apart...

I almost think that this thing was marked wrong... But it could be just me, let me know if what I'm saying doesn't seem right.

So this picture shows the "in" inlet for the filter.

Brass Nozzle

And this is what it looks like where the filter attaches...

Compass Gauge Brass Metal

So the two holes on the side are from the inlet. Which means that the air comes into the canister first, then goes into the filter into the center hole shown by the filter in the next picture...

If you blow the picture up and look in the left corner you can see the inlet holes outside the filter.

I guess in my mind it would work better going the opposite way... The air goes in the center hole, then out of the filter and then out the canister through the "inlet" holes.

So word of warning to anyone who has one of these, if your using it on the turbo engine... It will break down super quick due to the extreme heat produced.

Sent from my HTC M9 using DodgeDart

#9 ·
yep, turbos in general will produce more heat in the engine bay, but lucky for us Dodge discovered a way to make things even hotter under the hood.
- no hood vents (unless you have $2k three years after releasing the first turbo dart).
- low quality heat shielding, or none to be found
- im told a very bad design for an engine cover
- they put that black heat-trapping "liner" on the inside of the hood

and to boot, all dart engines in general seem to consume more oil than what we've known to be normal, and when we take matters into our own hands to try and catch the oil, because of the extreme heat it means we are paying a lot of money for a mod intended to solve a design flaw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.