Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did spark plugs at 67k, not sure what factory recommends... But man they were ugly...

I'm guessing its becauze I'm burning 2q per oil change.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,037 Posts
Check your manual to see what you need and when they should ideally be changed in the maintenance schedule section.
The 1.4 is notorious for frequent plug changes; I'm not sure one way or another about the 2.4 though.

As for what's causing them to look the way they do, this article (with pics) should help.
Reading 101: How to Read Your Spark Plugs - OnAllCylinders

article said:
Deposits
Appearance & Symptoms: The electrodes—center and ground—are covered in an ashy coating. As a result of this masking of the electrodes, your engine may experience a misfire. This build-up of combustion deposits can eventually (but not usually) fill in the space between the two electrodes.

Possible Causes: Oil leaks, poor fuel quality.
.. yours, according to that, may be caused by an oil leak.. which if you're burning oil, that might be where it's going.

That last one (on the bottom) looks like it could be the culprit of said leak though.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
If you're 2.4 is consuming oil, get the dealer to start a consumption test. There's a batch of 2.4s with an issue in cylinder 4 that causes oil consumption - if it is proven to be that, you will get a new engine.
Unfortunately, at 67K, he'll have to be consuming more than 1 quarts every 750 miles for it to qualify as excessive. This is really something you need to address before you hit 50K, where the threshold is still over 1 quart per 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're 2.4 is consuming oil, get the dealer to start a consumption test. There's a batch of 2.4s with an issue in cylinder 4 that causes oil consumption - if it is proven to be that, you will get a new engine.
I'm currently at 2q per oil change... I would like to show then the plugs and say.... Hey there is an issue....

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
not to be a dick and i dont condone it... but get a test done then drive 750 miles and drain more then a quart out down the street from the dealership and then take it back in...

i really dont condone this but hell 1 quart for 750 miles is bullshit as most dont meet that... it should be 1 quart every 2k until you hit 100k

·
Registered
344 Posts
not to be a dick and i dont condone it... but get a test done then drive 750 miles and drain more then a quart out down the street from the dealership and then take it back in...

i really dont condone this but hell 1 quart for 750 miles is bullshit as most dont meet that... it should be 1 quart every 2k until you hit 100k
In a consumption test, they put a tamper evident marker on the drain plug so they can tell if someone does just this...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
From the oil consumption test directions:

3.Tamper proof the oil pan drain plug, oil filter, dipstick and oil fill cap with a black light marking device (pen) or air conditioning dye applied with a small brush.

NOTE: The use of a black light marking device is recommended so the marks can only be seen with a ultraviolet light.

4.Record the vehicle mileage. Note that the oil level at ‘full’ mark 15 minutes after hot shut-down and date.

They will be able to tell so don't risk it. In the meantime just drive it like you stole it.:wink:

·
Registered
242 Posts
well take a blacklight and make sure it goes back on the same way.... and you can vacuum the oil out at the same time if needed...lol but like i said i dont condone this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts