Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was having troubles with my uconnect functionality. It would black out all the time. I did the USB update provided through their site. It worked for a bit, then started having the same problems with blacking out. When it blacks out, you have NO control over any features that are connected to the uconnect..ie..heat/ac, radio, heated seats, backup camera, etc. I ended up taking my instrument cluster apart to check the connections and wiring. Nothing was wrong. After reinstalling, it worked for a few hours and went back to blacking out. (I did replace my blower motor resistor thinking it was overheating, that wasn't it either)
From here, I decided to check out the fuses. Upon research, I found out that there was a 20amp fuse for the radio. It is supposed to be a 15amp fuse. I replaced that a week ago and I haven't had a single problem with my uconnect since. Having a higher amp fuse than what you're supposed to have will cause things to malfunction. You can have lower amps than needed without problems.
Hope this helps all you frustrated dart owners. I dealth with the problem for 3 years. The fact that it works on and off means the screen itself is ok!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the fuse was not blown..

In general, NO. Replacing a fuse with a higher-amp fuse is a very bad idea and can lead to fires. Fuses (and circuit breakers) are rated such that they blow or trip before any part of the circuit gets to a dangerous current.

Having fuses that are higher amps than what you need leads to malfunctions. I remember my screen used to get super hot before it would stop working for undetermined amounts of time. I still haven't had a single problem since going from a 20amp fuse down to a 15amp fuse.

Your radio turning off is essentially a safety feature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't find it weird at all. I actually find it amazing. There was too high of a fuse (too much power), making the safety feature engage and shut the screen down to prevent further damage. I put the correct fuse (with the right amps) making it push the correct amount of power to the unit itself. I hope that helps you understand it better.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I guess what is weird is that the rating of fuse doesn’t affect what can pass through it.
So a circuit that runs on 1 amp passing through a 5 amp fuse will work the same as a 1 amp circuit passing through a 20 amp fuse.

Not saying that the 20 amp fuse is the right thing there, but it doesn’t affect the current flow.

That’s what I find weird.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts