Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it has been asked before but I'm having trouble finding it. Anyways is there really any benefit to throwing another turbo on this small engine? If so whats the benefits and would you want to just go with another factory turbo or upgrade to the bigger one?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Haven't done much research but i would check check out the fiat 500 forums/ abarth forums. I believe it would be better nd cheaper for a bigger turbo because two make be a bit too much for the engine

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't done much research but i would check check out the fiat 500 forums/ abarth forums. I believe it would be better nd cheaper for a bigger turbo because two make be a bit too much for the engine
Thanks for the response, I played around with the idea a bit but don't feel it's worth it on a small engine like this. I saw a video once somewhere, where the guys dart was twin turbod and it looked really clean but I'm thinking the effort and money wouldn't be worth it in the end. What would have to be modified to throw in a second turbo? I know a time for sure but anything else need to be modified to accommodate?

·
Registered
742 Posts
There are several different ways to build a twin turbo system. The most common would prob be like on a v-6 or v-8 where you simply have one turbo running off the exhaust of each side of the mtr.

With the advance in turbo efficiency and the fact that a 1.4l engine is already limited in the amount of exhaust energy it has to spool One turbo, let alone two, a Compound system becomes the only viable option.

Benefit of compounding turbos;

Using a small Fast spooling turbocharger to Feed a larger Main turbocharger which "compounds" the already pressurized air further, and gives the engine a Greater output with less restriction.

IMO def Not worth attempting, unless someone just wanted to do it.........Just because.

300WHP turbo upgrade is in the works and soon to be realized ;)

I will LYK if there's any need to run more than 1 turbo on this platform Soooonnnnn! :crazy:

Reactions: longtimemopar

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
There are several different ways to build a twin turbo system. The most common would prob be like on a v-6 or v-8 where you simply have one turbo running off the exhaust of each side of the mtr.

With the advance in turbo efficiency and the fact that a 1.4l engine is already limited in the amount of exhaust energy it has to spool One turbo, let alone two, a Compound system becomes the only viable option.

Benefit of compounding turbos;

Using a small Fast spooling turbocharger to Feed a larger Main turbocharger which "compounds" the already pressurized air further, and gives the engine a Greater output with less restriction.

IMO def Not worth attempting, unless someone just wanted to do it.........Just because.

300WHP turbo upgrade is in the works and soon to be realized ;)

I will LYK if there's any need to run more than 1 turbo on this platform Soooonnnnn! :crazy:
Oh come on, you know you want each cylinder to have its very own turbocharger! :crazy:

hrdp_0411_13_z-1957_chevy_bel_air-turbochargers.jpg

·
Registered
281 Posts
Guys on the SRT-4 forums tried twin turbo stock turbos and while they ended up spooling quicker than the stock turbo (which spooled lightning quick already) it ended up making less peak hp than a single stock turbo. Mainly since the stock FMIC couldnt keep up with the extra heated charge air.

On a 1.4L that has a smaller turbo than the 2.4L NSRT-4 I highly doubt you'll see any positive gains power wise and cost (fabrication) wise will probably end up costing as much or more than a bigger single turbo kit. Not to mention, tuning a Dart twin turbo setup would be a royal PITA.

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Guys on the SRT-4 forums tried twin turbo stock turbos and while they ended up spooling quicker than the stock turbo (which spooled lightning quick already) it ended up making less peak hp than a single stock turbo. Mainly since the stock FMIC couldnt keep up with the extra heated charge air.

On a 1.4L that has a smaller turbo than the 2.4L NSRT-4 I highly doubt you'll see any positive gains power wise and cost (fabrication) wise will probably end up costing as much or more than a bigger single turbo kit. Not to mention, tuning a Dart twin turbo setup would be a royal PITA.
Yeah, running turbochargers in parallel typically involves larger engines. Like @ig2mdThwifsDart said, a multi-stage turbo might work in the Dart. My understanding, limited as it is, is that this kind of setup is often to have a little turbo to provide low-RPM boost and then a big-ass monster snail that pushes a lot of air into the engine, but takes a long time to spool. In theory, you could have more than 2 turbos running in series like this, but this would get increasingly complicated.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Not to mention the issue with space! There is little enough of it as is, just try piping in another turbocharger and see what you get.

On the turbo per cyl thingy. I Almost did exactly that some years ago. Was going to use 4 small VNT chargers on the 2.2l and see how it went. That project was kyboshed from lack of space as well.

Had a twin turbo set-up all mocked up and just about ready to go almost 20 years ago, but that was before turbocharger had advanced to the point where a large single could produce a spool threshold that would give good low end response on a typical 4 cyl.

Once I saw how easy it was to make power and keep street drivability in the Charger, the old twin turbo became unworthy doing..........

·
Banned
5 Posts
I know it has been asked before but I'm having trouble finding it. Anyways is there really any benefit to throwing another turbo on this small engine? If so whats the benefits and would you want to just go with another factory turbo or upgrade to the bigger one?
The 2.0 has the best platform to work on, the 1.4 wouldn't pass emissions in most states aka your wallet will hurt if you do this, and the 2.4 has barely any room to put even 1 turbo, forget trying 2, although it would be the best to do this with, it would have more displacement to work with, however it has 0 room to play with as is. I recommend building a 2.0l tt and removing the bottom grille for a big ole intercooler if you're gonna try it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts