Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there anyone who can help me or guide me through on how to change my turbo charger? I got the code stating it needed to be changed. The car will drive correctly then the power drops and speed slows to where I can’t go over 40mph. If I turn the car off and back on, it will drive correctly again for a while.

·
Registered
2014 Aero 1.4T 6 sp manual
25 Posts
Start simple, check the air filter first. It's fall so leaves and plant seeds are flying, filters plug fast.

Second I would look for a boost leak. These cars are getting some age and rubber components will break down over time.

What exactly was the code?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed the engine filter because it was very dirty, black in color. The check engine light stayed off for a day and came back on. The code that popped up was P0299.

There was oil in the filter, I’m assuming its a leak from the boost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's great to rule out the filter although it is the easiest fix lol The oil in the air filter is pretty normal for any internal combustion engine. It's from the PCV system. As long as it wasn't really wet and the visible oil spot was less than 1/3 of the filter media area it's not concerning.

P0299 is underboost which can be affected by a host or things. Generally the turbo itself is not the culprit. Usually it is a dirty filter or a boost leak. Sometimes it can be an exhaust manifold gasket or cracked manifold. If you do not smell exhaust gasses in the cabin or hear weird noises you don't recall before then you can probably rule this out.

You can pressurize the intake system up to about 30 psi with the car off and see if there is anything obvious that needs repair. That would be my next move in diagnosis. Something like a light collision or hitting some road debris like blown up tire pieces can damage the intake piping or the air to air cooler(the pipework is mostly plastic and rubber).

If you don't find any leaking pipework I would next be looking at the wastegate actuator. The wastegate controls the boost by venting off extra boost. If it is out of adjustment and opening too far or too soon you will lose some boost that way.

Side note: turbochargers generally only require replacement should a bearing fail which is usually indicated by excessive oil usage.

Good luck 🤞

·
Registered
25 Posts
"Boost" is just pressurized air being forced into the engine. If the leak is big enough you will hear it escaping. An audible boost leak should get louder with more throttle and get quiet when you lift off the accelerator pedal. The trick is finding it.

Good luck 🤞

·
Registered
25 Posts
That oil leak is unrelated to your trouble code. It looks bad but a little oil goes a long way to a big mess. It probably only took a few ounces to do that. Not a huge immediate concern but it should be fixed. There is a seal between the valve cover and the spark plug tube. To fix the oil leak you need to pull the valve cover. There should be a kit available for that with the traditional valve cover gasket for the perimeter and the plug tube o-rings.

Unfortunately between working 6 days per week and having 4 kids I do not have much time to be long distance trouble shooting. It's really hard when I can't put eyes on the car. I can give guidance but the eyes there need to locate the problem, sorry.

Have you had an opportunity to trace the intake piping looking for anything obvious? Cracked plastic, torn/weather checked rubber boots, missing or broken clamps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought my dart less than a month ago and mine is doing the same exact thing. The noise that I hear sounds exactly like a throttle body that doesn’t open if that makes any sense because that’s what I thought was happening sorry to jump into y’all’s conversation but I’m in the frying pan hear guys if ya know what I mean I had to talk my rear off just to buy it I sure don’t want to have to tell her it needs a 1000 dollar turbo have you had any luck with fixing yours thanks for the add and any help I can get

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A turbocharger isn’t $1,000. I found one for $400 and the auto stores have it for less than $700. I have yet to fix the issue because I’m over this car. It still drives and sometimes I have to pull over and turn it off for it to come out of limp mode. It doesn’t do it a lot, but when it does goes into limp mode, it’s annoying.

Dodge Darts with a turbo are NOT reliable cars and I should have got a Chevy and left this where it was at!

·
Registered
25 Posts
A turbocharger isn’t $1,000. I found one for $400 and the auto stores have it for less than $700. I have yet to fix the issue because I’m over this car. It still drives and sometimes I have to pull over and turn it off for it to come out of limp mode. It doesn’t do it a lot, but when it does goes into limp mode, it’s annoying.

Dodge Darts with a turbo are NOT reliable cars and I should have got a Chevy and left this where it was at!
Let us know if a new turbo actually fixes it. I'm still convinced, based on your descriptions, that it is a simple air leak. Just because you haven't pressurized the intake to find it doesn't mean it's an unreliable car. Everything breaks down sometime regardless of the badges.

Good luck 🤞

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will let you know. I’ve seen so many people having issues with Dodge Darts and Dodge Chargers/Challengers is why I said they seem like reliable cars. I never had an issue with I had a Chevy.

Thanks for the luck. 😀

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will let you know. I’ve seen so many people having issues with Dodge Darts and Dodge Chargers/Challengers is why I said they seem like reliable cars. I never had an issue with I had a Chevy.

Thanks for the luck. 😀
I think part of it, why the issues are so publicized isn't sub-par vehicles, it's sub-par dealership service stemming from poor corporate support. Not saying that FCA is a bad company, they've just had some growing pains with the Fiat buyout.

And then, a major factor with used vehicles is how the previous owner maintained it and drove it. These types of issues with new vehicles indicates poor products but with used vehicles there are too many factors to discard the whole brand.

Everyone's experiences are different. Growing up Mopars were easily the best bang for the buck, of the "domestic" brands I still think they are. They've always treated us good and I have a driveway full of Mopars, not one of them with less than 100k on the clock and zero intentions of replacing any of them anytime soon 😊

1 - 20 of 20 Posts