Dodge Dart Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
UPDATE - they replaced the TCM and I picked up the car Tuesday. All was great until last night when I was driving home and it kicked out of gear AGAIN and I was stranded on the side of the road. Managed to start again and it limped back to the dealership which happened to be just a few miles away. Manual shift was not available and I had the lovely 'service transmission' message again. 4th time to the dealer for this within 2 weeks.
Try lemonizing you Dart and get yourself out of your misery.

·
Banned
8,648 Posts
The dealership I bought my Dart from doesn't even offer a rental car. All they offer is a shuttle service which is totally and completely useless for most people. They say its because of insurance reasons they don't offer rentals (loaner cars). Only if you have a service contract, or your car loan pays for it can you get one. Needless to say, I won't take it there anymore for service.
I was told that Chrysler pays for a rental car from a real rental car company if there is a problem. You need to call Chrysler.

·
Banned
2,521 Posts
I was told that Chrysler pays for a rental car from a real rental car company if there is a problem. You need to call Chrysler.
I've never heard that before...it was always up to the dealership to provide a loaner car "at their discretion". The dealership or someone still has to insure it. You can't drive a car around in NYS without insurance. Insurance laws are different in every state, but, you could be right and they're just telling everyone insurance issues cause them not to loan out cars. I've already told them I will not take my car in for service if you don't provide loaners. I'm not going to rent a car while you take your time working on it and I shouldn't have to. Why should I have to pay to rent a car while I'm paying for my own car monthly? I'll go find a dealership that offers loaner vehicles if my car has to stay in the shop.

How exactly does Chrysler pay for a loaner car when typically its a car off the dealers used car lot, or one they dimly designate as a loaner car?

·
Premium Member
6,259 Posts
I've never heard that before...it was always up to the dealership to provide a loaner car "at their discretion". The dealership or someone still has to insure it. You can't drive a car around in NYS without insurance. Insurance laws are different in every state, but, you could be right and they're just telling everyone insurance issues cause them not to loan out cars. I've already told them I will not take my car in for service if you don't provide loaners. I'm not going to rent a car while you take your time working on it and I shouldn't have to. Why should I have to pay to rent a car while I'm paying for my own car monthly? I'll go find a dealership that offers loaner vehicles if my car has to stay in the shop.

How exactly does Chrysler pay for a loaner car when typically its a car off the dealers used car lot, or one they dimly designate as a loaner car?
If a dealer wants to provide you with a car from their own lot, I guess they can do that at their discretion, but that isn't a rental. If you get a factory-authorized rental (not at the dealer's discretion at all, but also not on the dealer's dime), it will be an actual rental car from a rental company, and Chrysler will pay the bill.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I noticed my problem happens when I wash my car, about to rain, is raining, was raining, so I'm not getting a new wire assembly and tcm

·
Banned
8,648 Posts

It is a rental car from Avis, etc., that they pay for. The scoop I got from 2 dealers is this. I called the dealer I bought the car from and said it won't start. The service manager was very rude and said, "We do not give loaner cars until we have determined the problem and call Chrysler to confirm that they will pay for a loaner car. I called dealer #2 and they said, "Sure we will give you a loaner car, just tow it here." While dealing with me, the service adviser told me Chrysler pays for your rental if it is going to take 3 days or more to repair, but that they have a good relationship with Chrysler and can get reimbursed no matter if it is a shorter time period. 30 days later the TCM came in.

I think it is just lazy dealers and ones that do not know how to deal with Chrysler that tell you to call Avis (or whoever) yourself.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hmm... seems it's a car someone traded in and the dealer registered it and uses it as a loaner car when people have vehicles there for repair. I'm honestly much more concerned about how they're going to make things right with MY car. Quite frankly I don't want it back because there is no way I can trust it to be reliable.
it's not the reliable it's the idiots that don't know how to fix it and creat another problem. It should only have needed a tcm or PCM

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
UPDATE

NOT happy right now. The offer they made me was far from acceptable.

I bought my Dart last February and currently owe 21k on it. They offered me 13.5k for trade-in and added it to the cost of the new Dart GT I wanted and in the end my payment did go up 50 bucks a month, but it also added a year to the payments. 13.5k for a loaded 2013 dart with 23000 miles on it?? HALF the value lost in a year and 4 months??

They were nice enough to offer the 5yr/100k mile extended warranty on the new car but they still expect me to be out 8k. Not going to happen.

I am at a loss here... I want MY car back but last I heard it was blowing black smoke out of the tailpipe and they don't even know if they fixed the transmission yet. Am I wrong to expect Chrysler to step up and stand behind their product?

What would you demand out of this? I'm open to suggestions here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Registered
10 Posts
... then had a message for me to go to neutral and then to drive or reverse. When I took it to neutral it said 'gear not available'. Engine was still running but it would act like it was in neutral no matter what gear I placed it in...
I went to the store, no issues; came out, started it, and this.

no matter what gear I selected, got the same "not available" message and the "shift to neutral" message.

history: fiance has owned this dart since brand new. the dealership has had 7 transmissions and 3 turbos put into the car, according to her. the last two years, I've been doing the wrenching. surprise- she runs beautifully. no issues except the oil pump and some skirting issues underneath (thank you parking blocks)-open air, baby. this happened last night. my dart has 100470 miles on it. we had the shifter bushing replaced from the recall. a vin check revealed no "unresolved recalls."

any suggestions, peeps?

·
Super Moderator
3,709 Posts
Hydraulic controller. About $1800, you can do it yourself. No need to drop the trans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hydraulic controller. About $1800, you can do it yourself. No need to drop the trans.
dang. o_O Chrysler strikes again.

thank you.

update: this morning, after being towed, I started her up, got "service transmission" message, went to Neutral, then drove in drive and reverse to turn her around in the driveway.

remembered an old cougar I drove would act the same way when the transmission fluid level dropped (17 y.o. me used jb weld to seal a cracked reservoir. only leaked a quart a week) too low. I'm going to attempt to drain and refill the gear oil to see if that's the issue before sinking $1800 on a new hydraulic controller.

<fingers crossed>
db

·
Super Moderator
3,709 Posts
The hydraulic fluid C SERIES DDCT SAE 75W HYDRAULIC FLUID:
Part No. 68092638AA

Do not confuse with the C SERIES MANUAL & DUAL DRY CLUTCH
TRANSMISSION FLUID:
Quart
Part No. 68092630AA

Gallon