Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very frustrated right now... last week I stopped at a store on my way home and the car would not start back up. I had the 'service transmission' message and SEL illuminated when I tried to start. Had it towed to the dealer and they did some troubleshooting, found nothing and gave it back to me (not very happy).

The very same day I got my car back it happened again. I waited about 45 minutes and the car started so I was able to drive it to the dealer this time. They were nice enough to put me up in an 02 PT Cruiser while they worked on my Dart. I get a call that my Dart was ready to be picked up and they told me they replaced the gear position switch and I was all set. Drove all this week without any issues until last night.

I was on the highway doing about 68mph and all of a sudden the car kicked out of gear and the engine redlined for a few seconds. The display had a service transmission message on it and the SEL was illuminated again. I had to coast to the side of the highway and stop. It then had a message for me to go to neutral and then to drive or reverse. When I took it to neutral it said 'gear not available'. Engine was still running but it would act like it was in neutral no matter what gear I placed it in. I stopped the engine while I made some phone calls and when I tried to restart the car it would not start and I had the same message as my original problem from above.

Since waiting it out seems to have worked before (and from what I read it has worked for other people) I decided to try that. After about 15 minutes the car did start and I was able to put it in gear. No sooner do I get up to speed and it kicks out of gear again and I am forced too pull over and wait. Waited it out one more time and got the car started. This time when I put it in gear I got a flashing red light and a warning that the engine was too hot. Killed the engine again. Called roadside assistance and had it towed back to the dealer (had to pay 64 bucks to get them to tow it the extra miles I needed).

Dealer has assured me they will reimburse me the 64 dollars, but I am losing my confidence in this car.

Has anyone heard of similar problems? I've read on here about the service transmission message but I have yet to read about someone experiencing the car kicking out of gear.

I love the Dart, but I just want a reliable car to enjoy!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome to the club! Im currantly having the same issues with my 13 aero (DDCT Trans) minus the engine over heating message. I have an appointment with the dealer on monday worning.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Sounds like the TCM since you have an earlier build date.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need a new TCM. Mine was replaced on 12-02-13 and it has worked perfect ever since.
That's what they ordered and I'm told it'll be in on Tuesday. In the meantime I have a very BASIC 08 Caliber. Beats the snot out of that PT pooper they gave me first!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE - they replaced the TCM and I picked up the car Tuesday. All was great until last night when I was driving home and it kicked out of gear AGAIN and I was stranded on the side of the road. Managed to start again and it limped back to the dealership which happened to be just a few miles away. Manual shift was not available and I had the lovely 'service transmission' message again. 4th time to the dealer for this within 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
UPDATE - they replaced the TCM and I picked up the car Tuesday. All was great until last night when I was driving home and it kicked out of gear AGAIN and I was stranded on the side of the road. Managed to start again and it limped back to the dealership which happened to be just a few miles away. Manual shift was not available and I had the lovely 'service transmission' message again. 4th time to the dealer for this within 2 weeks.
Damn. That's sucks! That is NOT okay!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well you may start considering lemon law. Can you give us some specifics it will help other users. Such as the build date, miles on the car and any mods you have done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just spoke to the dealer - they haven't looked at it yet today but I had a discussion about getting a replacement car. My faith in this car is nill at this point. I drove the same car for 14 years and planned on doing that with this one but I don't see that happening.

I believe my car was built in November 2012 and I bought it in February of 2013. I have almost 24000 miles on it right now and the transmission issues started in the last 1000 miles of use. Other issue I have that they have not been able to replicate/repair: 8.4" screen going blank after a restart from a short travel distance (head out to the store and when I re-start the vehicle it would go blank about a minute down the road). This screen issue is definitely intermittent, and lately it has stopped going blank but I still get an interruption in audio for a short period of time.

Stopping by dealership later tonight to pick up my loaner car...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Just spoke to the dealer - they haven't looked at it yet today but I had a discussion about getting a replacement car. My faith in this car is nill at this point. I drove the same car for 14 years and planned on doing that with this one but I don't see that happening.

I believe my car was built in November 2012 and I bought it in February of 2013. I have almost 24000 miles on it right now and the transmission issues started in the last 1000 miles of use. Other issue I have that they have not been able to replicate/repair: 8.4" screen going blank after a restart from a short travel distance (head out to the store and when I re-start the vehicle it would go blank about a minute down the road). This screen issue is definitely intermittent, and lately it has stopped going blank but I still get an interruption in audio for a short period of time.

Stopping by dealership later tonight to pick up my loaner car...
So... for the blanking 7" screen issue you need a whole new unit to fix the issue
I had this happen 1 time and when I took the car in to have my trunk issue fixed they replaced the Radio unit and the Telematics Gateway for an "internal failure"
Have them check the "Telematics Gateway" as there is a verification procedure for the tech to check for codes or correct behavior.

As for your tranny issue. Do not give up
Call Chrysler and get a case opened. They'll contact the dealer and the dealer should be able directly access Engineering when you take the car back in
The tech training on the Dart seems to be not good from reading the posts on here.

Be nice when you call Chrysler. You want them on your side so you can get the car properly fixed.
Whether you keep it after that is up to you
Personally, I think you'll discover you have an electronics issue and not a mechanical issue with the transmission

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Be sure and post up your completed work order. It will help the community.
I will do that. I have kept all paperwork they gave me and I scanned it, so now I just have to get them uploaded.

I do have an update! I just spoke with the dealer a few minutes ago and she told me they replaced the hydraulic actuator for the transmission yesterday afternoon. They started the car this morning to let it warm up for a while to try and re-create the conditions my car has been failing. After about 15 minutes smoke started coming out of the exhaust. She told me the turbo had a seal/gasket blown... not looking good for the car. However, I feel it gives me even MORE reason to justify getting a replacement car. She said she's going to speak to her district manager and see what they want to do.

Meanwhile I'm paying 400 bucks a month to drive an 08 Caliber that reeks of cigarette smoke :(

·
Banned
8,648 Posts
Why would you take a rental that reeks of smoke? Take it back. You can choose any comparable (4 door) Chrysler car on the lot, at least that is what my Dodge dealer did for me. Both my rentals were in perfect condition.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I didn't think people were allowed to smoke in rentals.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm... seems it's a car someone traded in and the dealer registered it and uses it as a loaner car when people have vehicles there for repair. I'm honestly much more concerned about how they're going to make things right with MY car. Quite frankly I don't want it back because there is no way I can trust it to be reliable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's what they offered me today: I'm trading in my 2013 loaded Limited and going to get a 2014 loaded GT. Payment will go up about 50 bucks a month, and Chrysler is going to add in the 5yr/100k mile service contract for free.

What do you folks think?

·
Banned
2,521 Posts
Here's what they offered me today: I'm trading in my 2013 loaded Limited and going to get a 2014 loaded GT. Payment will go up about 50 bucks a month, and Chrysler is going to add in the 5yr/100k mile service contract for free.

What do you folks think?
I'd take that in a heartbeat!

·
Banned
2,521 Posts
Why would you take a rental that reeks of smoke? Take it back. You can choose any comparable (4 door) Chrysler car on the lot, at least that is what my Dodge dealer did for me. Both my rentals were in perfect condition.
The dealership I bought my Dart from doesn't even offer a rental car. All they offer is a shuttle service which is totally and completely useless for most people. They say its because of insurance reasons they don't offer rentals (loaner cars). Only if you have a service contract, or your car loan pays for it can you get one. Needless to say, I won't take it there anymore for service.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts