Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace the tires on my Dart. Do you guys do anything to your TPMS when you are getting new tires? Does the sensor get changed? Or do you just change the battery?

The ones in my car are the originals and are coming up on 5 years old.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
The batteries are not replaceable. I don't plan on putting them back when it's time to replace the tires. TPMS can easily be disabled with alfaOBD. They are $80 each from a dealer. Who needs that expense? Go old school and check the tires with a tire gauge once a month.
Leave them on and when they start to fail, just disable TPMS with alfa.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$80 each is a lot, wow.

Does anyone know typically how long they last?

And when getting new tires, as I understand it the TPMS is part of the rubber valve stem. So that will all be re-used as well with the new tires? Would the shop just change the schrader valve inside the stem?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
The sensor and valve stem come apart. It's a special valve stem made for the sensor. You could put an old school standard Schrader valve stem in it's place if you want to disable TPMS.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
The assembly has to be separated. The valve stem is installed the usual way. Then the sensor clips to the little tube that sticks out the bottom of the valve stem.
I have no idea how long the battery should last. You might be able to find used sensors on eBay but then you have no idea how old they are.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. At this point I'm sort of leaning towards just leaving what's there alone and just installing my new tires.

If the batteries ever die and I disable it via OBD, would any check lights remain up on my dash?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
The light will be off once you disable TPMS. You will need to do a PROXI.
I have a junkyard wheel with the sensor and valve stem. Here are a couple pics:

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I bought a set of aftermarket sensors off tirerack, I think they're only $43 there. One failed recently after like 5 months so we'll see how the rest do. There's got to be cheaper alternatives.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am about to replace the tires on my Dart. Do you guys do anything to your TPMS when you are getting new tires? Does the sensor get changed? Or do you just change the battery?

The ones in my car are the originals and are coming up on 5 years old.
I have replaced all of my tires and did not have an issue with TPMS. I have 81k on my 2016.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. At this point I am leaning towards replacing the valve stem, but leaving the TPMS alone.

Is a special tool needed to remove the old valve stem and install the new one? I know a link posted earlier mentioned a tool, but didn't show any information on said tool.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
There is no special tool to separate the sensor from the valve stem. All you need is a small pocket screwdriver to push in the spring tab. Tire shops have a valve stem puller that destroys the valve stem and it's just a quick way to get the air out. Unless the valve cap is gone and that end is corroded and air is leaking, the valve stem doesn't need to be replaced. There is a mopar replacement 68193587AC:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
There is no special tool to separate the sensor from the valve stem. All you need is a small pocket screwdriver to push in the spring tab. Tire shops have a valve stem puller that destroys the valve stem and it's just a quick way to get the air out. Unless the valve cap is gone and that end is corroded and air is leaking, the valve stem doesn't need to be replaced. There is a mopar replacement 68193587AC:
Thank you for the information. My valve stems aren't leaking, but I thought it was good practice to replace them as I am getting new tires mounted shortly. The ones on the car now are original and the car is a 2015. And I've seen some things saying they should be replace when a tire has been removed.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Thank you for the information. My valve stems aren't leaking, but I thought it was good practice to replace them as I am getting new tires mounted shortly. The ones on the car now are original and the car is a 2015. And I've seen some things saying they should be replace when a tire has been removed.
If the valve stem has had a cap, is not corroded, or is not leaking, it does not need to be replaced. The TPMS valve stem cap has an internal o-ring so there should be no corrosion. When valve stems used to cost $2, yes it was cheap insurance and padded the bill so it was standard practice. Now the valve stems are $15+. Pulling them with the tool before the air is out and before the bead is separated so the sensor could be safely retrieved, is not a good idea because it will mess up the sensor. Shops should realize how costly the sensors and valve stems are nowadays and should leave them unless asked to replace them.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the valve stem has had a cap, is not corroded, or is not leaking, it does not need to be replaced. The TPMS valve stem cap has an internal o-ring so there should be no corrosion. When valve stems used to cost $2, yes it was cheap insurance and padded the bill so it was standard practice. Now the valve stems are $15+. Pulling them with the tool before the air is out and before the bead is separated so the sensor could be safely retrieved, is not a good idea because it will mess up the sensor. Shops should realize how costly the sensors and valve stems are nowadays and should leave them unless asked to replace them.
So if I leave my existing ones, does the shop have to do anything special to not damage them? If they just change the tires and nothing more, do they literally just not touch the entire assembly?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Once the top bead is broken, they can sneak in there to retrieve the sensor, or if they are really careful, it is possible to leave the whole assembly alone.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, the sensor falls off once the bead is broken?

I meant if all I do is change the tire, will the valve stem and sensor be left completely alone.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
The sensor is held on the valve stem tube with a spring tab. It will not fall of by itself unless it was already not on correctly. The spring tab must be depressed to remove the sensor from the valve stem. There are videos on how to properly replace a tire without touching the sensor and valve stem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
5 Participants
MattyMopar
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing