Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is the question.

This is a question I have been kicking around for a while and it may be more appropriate to title this "At what point is a tune required?".

It is pretty safe to say that most of us have a laundry list of upgrades that we want to install or have already installed; when I talk about these upgrades I am referring to primarily bolt-on / swappable parts that do not require a massive undertaking. Examples would be: CAI, Enhanced Exhaust, Light-weight Pully, etc...

From what I understand there comes a time when getting your vehicle tuned is required in order for your vehicle to function correctly and use the laundry list of parts to their fullest potential. It has been discovered by some that without a tune your vehicle may actually perform worse than before the mods because the ECU is fighting against the modifications (to put it simply).

I believe it is no problem to upgrade the exhaust and throw in a CAI without a tune, but what about the rest of the list? If someone decides to throw on a light-weight pully will it still be an improvement? If so, when will we hit that performance wall?

LMK if this is at all unclear.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
@ownsmash, you can put the LW pulley on at anytime without the need for a tune. You can run the pulley without a tune for the life of the vehicle and you will never need a tune to get the most out of it. As far as the exhaust, you don't need a tune for that either. You are opening up the exhaust and letting the engine breath better (exhale better, increase exhaust velocity) and you will not need a tune for that either. With those two out of the way...

Thus comes to the next point of the CAI. The Cold Air Intake is a highly debated topic as people can say it's the placebo effect and some people would say it is a must have mod. As far as with tuning and a CAI, our ECU's aren't advanced enough to need a "tune" to get the most out of the CAI. With some more advanced OEM ECU's (IE: Mustangs, Chally's, Camaro's & Chargers) when you buy a CAI from a manufacturer they will supply you with a tune in a "bundle" so you can take advantage of more air inflow from the CAI. With the NA's (at least with the 2.0's) I've ran a full CAI and a SRI with and without the Spectrum (the only tune we have for the NA's) and there was no significant difference in the way she acted. Yes, the tune is going to react differently with more air flow at a higher RPM range when the NA's make power. BUT, for "putzing" around town or the occasional WOT on an on-ramp or the night out on the street, it's not going to make a lick of difference for our Darts. Now with that being said...

With a "full handheld tune" it would over write the factory ECU and it would take into account for more airflow into the engine from a CAI, it would take into account the exhaust velocity from a custom or "tuned" exhaust. We do not have a "full handheld tune" for the NA's (2.0 & 2.4's) so at this time I wouldn't worry about it much.

Pretty much all I can say is Cold Air Intakes, LW Pulleys and Custom exhaust have all been proven to ADD more to the Dart than they do take away even without a "proper" tune. Hopefully this sheds some light on this for you (and isn't clear as mud (lol)) and let me know if you have any other questions as I am sure others will chime in and try and help as much as we can... :)

EDIT: No, this isn't me "putting down the Spectrum" as it does amplify what is installed "modification" wise. I have seen the engine come alive with the Spectrum installed, and the CAI, Spark Plugs, Exhaust the whole 9 yards. But, for your specific question about the CAI and getting the most out of it WITH a tune. No, you don't need a tune to get the MOST out of it with the current state of the ECU.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@youngsmith53 Thanks for the info, you have confirmed some of the beliefs that I already hold. This question / answer will hopefully help others in their future mod decision making.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
@DagsJ great question, as a rule of thumb, I would always defer to the manufacture of the tune for their instructions (call or email them). That would be the best way to find specifics on break-in periods or what you are looking for or trying to feel with the installation of a new tune.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I keep hearing about this haromincs thing witht he light weight pulley. Which is usually pointed out as a negative. What does that mean? Is the lightweight pulley not worth it then?

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
I keep hearing about this haromincs thing witht he light weight pulley. Which is usually pointed out as a negative. What does that mean? Is the lightweight pulley not worth it then?
I'm guessing you heard it from Jason on facebook? I think he spends his entire day looking for posts about the LWP and posting his link about it and going on and on and on about how it's going to destroy your engine.

I have had it on two cars, and never had an issue. Road race has put a lot of design into their pulleys and not one story of one harming the Lancer community which they have guys well over 100k. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What exactly is he talking about. I've read the things on facebook yes. No person in particular that I saw. Also, what exactly does the pulley do for me?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what exactly does the pulley do for me?
The Light-weight pulley (LWP) is a replacement part for the stock pulley on the crank. LWP weights only .5lbs where stock pulley weighs around 4lbs, so when your engine tries to turn the pulley it does not have to work as hard to do so. According to RRM there is about a 2.7HP restoration per lb removed from the pulley.

Notice it is a restoration of HP not an addition of; it simply frees up HP that was otherwise being wasted. The most noticeable change appears to be in the throttle response, which makes sense after understanding that less weight has to be rotated.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
check out this thread here for all of your concerns and or questions about the LWP and harmonics:

http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-1-4l-multiair-turbo/25156-harmonic-balancing-lightweight-pulley-healthy-debate.html

our own supporting vendors have chimed in to help educate and stop the spread of mis-information

1 - 13 of 13 Posts