Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I get a "-" sign on all 4 tires and a notice to "service the tire pressure system". What do?

·
Registered
788 Posts
So, I get a "-" sign on all 4 tires and a notice to "service the tire pressure system". What do?
I would swing by a tire shop, something like Les Schwab, see if they will come out and just use their handheld to verify that the sensors in the tires are sending a signal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The funny thing is they were all working fine, then the "service" warning would come on intermittently. Now they won't read at all. I'm sure it's the car, not the sensors.

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
There should be stored code if the service warning came on. If you have the alfaOBD app and the OBDLinkMX bluetooth adapter, you can get the code. Otherwise a dealer Witech. Not sure if the average scanner can read the RFHM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bring me back to when you were responsible for your own tire pressure. Now you can't even get a fu**in' sticker if the tire light is on.

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
Bring me back to when you were responsible for your own tire pressure. Now you can't even get a fu**in' sticker if the tire light is on.
You can disable TPMS with the alfaOBD app and the OBDLinkMX bluetooth adapter. The light will never go on.

Connect to the bcm, then in the drop down go to car configuration change. In the drop down at the bottom of the screen find "tire pressure monitoring system (tpms)" and switch it to "not enabled" click start, then do the proxy.

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
Don't have a smart phone, so apps are useless to me.
You can get a used smart phone for as little as $20. That's what I paid for my MotoG. It does not have to be attached to a phone contract, all it needs is access to WiFi so you can download the the app. An android tablet can also download apps if there is access to WiFi. OBD diagnostics are here to stay so it's not something you will just use with this vehicle. Other apps besides alfaOBD are also available but alfa works with all FCA vehicles. Never guess again when you see the dreaded warning light or be at the mercy of a dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
Just get a cheap Android device with bluetooth. Or if you have a Windows laptop with bluetooth, there's a PC version of AlfaOBD as well. It died a couple of years ago, but I used to have a "garage laptop" so I could refer to "ye olde Internete" or other documents when I get in over my head. Consider this a tool worth investing in to do your own vehicle maintenance, and like @alpinegreenneon said, not be at the mercy of professionals who may not have your best interests at heart. Even if you decide to have the work done by the dealer or an independent shop, you will be able to go to them with real information and be able have an intelligent conversation with them, or call them out on BS if necessary. Modern cars can sometimes be a pain to work on, but they can also provide you with a wealth of invaluable diagnostic information if you have the tools to get it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I get that and have an idea..

You can pick up a cheap-o tablet for a couple bucks online and pair any bluetooth wireless keyboard with it which will do exactly what you need. It does not as stated need cellular, but just needs a WiFi connection to download the application at the very least.

I personally use EODB Facile (easy in french) for me, my wife's and my friends cars, but alpha ODB is recommended here. My app works even in the boonies where the nearest cell tower is 15 miles away or even when the only "internet" WiFi access is a singular t1 line shared by hundreds.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips. My wife has an android. Where do I find the app and I imagine the obd blue tooth adapter can be had at an auto parts store?
I have an obdII reader, but that won't cut it as I can only clear codes.

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
The alfaOBD app can be bought at the Google Playstore. Playstore is a app that comes with every android device. The OBDLinkMX can most easily be bought online from Amazon, eBay, or directly from the manufacturer. Your local autoparts place will not have it and may try to sell you something that will not work so don't even think about it. Make sure you get the bluetooth version, not the WiFi version. There is a MX+ version but that is meant to also work with Apple OS but alfaOBD is only an android app.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts