Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished up the timing belt repair and the car is running great. I would actually say its running better than before. When I initially locked the camshaft and crankshaft in place, the tools didn't align so timing was off. I wonder if that was why the idle was off.

After I installed the new timing belt and removed all the locking tools I rotated the crankshaft 2 rotations clockwise and then the locking tools didn't line up which means timing was off. With the camshaft locking tool installed, the crankshaft locking tool was a few degrees off. So I had to loosen up the tensioner lock nut, loosen the camshaft gear, reinstalled the locking tools, tightened down the tensioner, tighted up the cam gear, removed the locking tools, turned the crank 2 times, then rechecked timing with the locking tools.

In total - Almost $350 in parts and another $250 in tools. This was neither a cheap or easy repair. You can save money by using one of the aftermarket timing belt kits and you certainly don't have to replace the serpentine belt tensioner but since I was in there, I figured I'd just do it all. Most places say it's a $1200 repair but I'm not sure if they are replacing as much as I did.

My car has 102,000 miles and is a little over 7.5yrs old. I'm the only owner.

Condition
  • Serpentine belt had cracks
  • Timing belt was in good shape
  • Timing belt tensioner makes a grinding noise when spun and I think was the source of the rust colored dust
  • My timing was off (based on timing belt locking tools)
  • There was a small leak from the water pump

Tips / Tools
1 - Get a long 15mm wrench for the serpentine belt tensioner https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BRNHBK3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (not sure if this applies to the dart, I have an Abarth)
2 - This timing belt locking kit worked great with the exception of the the top crankshaft bolt which was too long so I used a spare bolt I had. Amazon.com: UTMALL Engine Timing Tool kit for Alfa Romeo/Fiat 1.4 with Multiair Engines: Automotive
3 - Cam pulley holder https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KSEJ6Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4 - I used this tool to set the camshaft seal - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005R3SSGI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Private Brand Tools PBT70960,
5 - Get the Tech Authority Manual and follow it
6 - I bought this tool just in case the kit one broke but I didn't need it SCHLEY 15700 FIAT & DODGE TIMING BELT PULLEY ADJUSTER WRENCH

Parts I replaced
Serpentine Belt - 4627697AA
Serpentine Tensioner - 4627618AA
Timing Belt - 4893467AA (the mopar part is stamped Gates)
Timing Belt Tensioner - 4892695AC
Water Pump - 4892713AC
Camshaft Seal - 4892648AC
Vacuum Pump Gasket - 68140726AC
Multiair Filter - 68189847AA
Silicone Sealant for Water Pump -

Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any signs of a leak by the water pump? I think a coolant leak contributed to my timing belt tensioner dying. My serpentine belt tensioner is fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
not that i can remember. isn't the tensioner above the water pump? i changed my serp belt but not the tensioner. i'll be sure to do the timing belt etc again in 75k if i still have the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is, but I suspect if there is a leak it would hitch a ride on the belt and make its way around

1 - 6 of 6 Posts