Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I have a difference of opinion on when Dodge want us to floor it: Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.

What's everyone here think? Before or after the 300 miles?

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I wouldn't constantly floor it, but brief stints will help it break in properly. Heating and cooling cycles are your friend for proper seating.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't constantly floor it, but brief stints will help it break in properly. Heating and cooling cycles are your friend for proper seating.
Right. But do you think they want those brief bursts during that 300 mile break-in period or after?

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Right from the beginning.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Right from the beginning.

I completely agree on BOTH of your comments.. Drive er like you stole er, for brief periods (2 or 3 minutes each) staying clear of the redline (500-700-rpm below) and then take er easy for a little while. Make sure the engine is up to proper operating temperature beforehand. This is how I have always completed a break in. Like Viper said, it's all about heating and cooling cycles..

EDIT: and one more thing.. be careful in first gear! Start the 'stole it procedure' after first gear...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I took it as drive it nice until it is fully warmed up and pin it a few times on the freeway when you can. Red line and all lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts