Dodge Dart Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thats a gimic from delearship where do you live ? Any oil with the ms 6395 spec on it was tested in these engines and were certified. The pennzoil platinum 5w-30 does have this spec listed.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Chrysler spec specifies ms 6395 for dodge dart and pennzoil platinum 5w 30 falls in that spec. I've ran it flawlessly for two oil changes now and it doesnt break down like the 0w 20 weight oil did.
There are 3 things to look for when selecting an oil: the vehicle manufacturer's "specification", the weight, and the API service category. For the Dart's 2.4L Tigershark engine, Dodge recommends MS6395, 0W-20, and API-SN. Changing any of these can run the risk of affecting engine performance and reliability. You live in Arizona, and your car is almost always being used at the top end of the temperature range the Dart is meant to be operated in, so a 5W30 oil makes sense. On the other hand, if somebody in Alaska takes your advice, they may not have the same results. My Grand Caravan's 3.6L Pentastar V6 uses MS6395 5W-20 API-SN oil. It has never consumed enough oil to need a top up between ~5000 mile oil changes. It once went 11 months and 7000 miles between oil changes without any oil loss. The 2.4L Tigershark engine has one or more design flaws that cause it to consume/lose oil excessively, regardly of FCA's denial of the issue. It's obviously fundamental to the engine's design, because it's been known to exist since 2014 and is still an issue (albeit unacknowledged by FCA) in 2020 models.

A few things to note.

1) Every Chrysler-designed engine for many years now uses the MS6395 spec, but the engines aren't all designed to use the same weight of oil. Just because a 5W30 has the MS6395 spec doesn't mean it is interchangeable with 0W20.
2) Most oils of the correct weight that don't meet that specification simply haven't been submitted to be certified, and would meet the certification if the oil maker wanted to pay millions of dollars for it. That's why a lot of specialty oils (like high-mileage semi-synthetic blends) don't list the MS6395 specification.
3) Some people point out that MultiAir system might be affected, but that seems unlikely. MultiAir is used with 0W-20 on the 2.4L Tigershark engine and 0W-40 on the 1.4L FIRE engine. Some people run 10W-50 oil in modified 500 Abarths that make a lot of power. MutliAir uses engine oil as a hydraulic fluid rather than a lubricant. The viscosity is probably not important, as long as the oil remains in a liquid state.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
There are 3 things to look for when selecting an oil: the vehicle manufacturer's "specification", the weight, and the API service category. For the Dart's 2.4L Tigershark engine, Dodge recommends MS6395, 0W-20, and API-SN. Changing any of these can run the risk of affecting engine performance and reliability. You live in Arizona, and your car is almost always being used at the top end of the temperature range the Dart is meant to be operated in, so a 5W30 oil makes sense. On the other hand, if somebody in Alaska takes your advice, they may not have the same results. My Grand Caravan's 3.6L Pentastar V6 uses MS6395 5W-20 API-SN oil. It has never consumed enough oil to need a top up between ~5000 mile oil changes. It once went 11 months and 7000 miles between oil changes without any oil loss. The 2.4L Tigershark engine has one or more design flaws that cause it to consume/lose oil excessively, regardly of FCA's denial of the issue. It's obviously fundamental to the engine's design, because it's been known to exist since 2014 and is still an issue (albeit unacknowledged by FCA) in 2020 models.

A few things to note.

1) Every Chrysler-designed engine for many years now uses the MS6395 spec, but the engines aren't all designed to use the same weight of oil. Just because a 5W30 has the MS6395 spec doesn't mean it is interchangeable with 0W20.
2) Most oils of the correct weight that don't meet that specification simply haven't been submitted to be certified, and would meet the certification if the oil maker wanted to pay millions of dollars for it. That's why a lot of specialty oils (like high-mileage semi-synthetic blends) don't list the MS6395 specification.
3) Some people point out that MultiAir system might be affected, but that seems unlikely. MultiAir is used with 0W-20 on the 2.4L Tigershark engine and 0W-40 on the 1.4L FIRE engine. Some people run 10W-50 oil in modified 500 Abarths that make a lot of power. MutliAir uses engine oil as a hydraulic fluid rather than a lubricant. The viscosity is probably not important, as long as the oil remains in a liquid state.
This makes sense a 20 weight here in az just doesn't survive. Every time i drain a 20 weight oil it seems thermally broken down cuz of the excessive heat and i would lose oil. Mine doesn't consume oil like the other 2.4s do thank god. But i really don't see the benefit of running a 20 weight oil at all besides fuel eco. For me that doesn't make any difference from what i have seen. 20 weight oil clearly cant withstand the amount of heat a 30 weight can in excessive heat. The 3.6 between 2014 to 2015 went to a 20 weight from a 30 my 2012 3.6 ran on 5w 30. Internals are exactilly the same becides upper intake and tune And i always ran a 10w 30 year round 3.6s run cooler than the tigershark does. 20 weight i just think is just a fuel economy thing it for sure does not hold up well in high heat situations with the AGS systems and high temps of these engines i really believe the scoring on the cylinder walls of these engines are from the 20 weight oil as they dont hold up in extreme heat very well. When i bought my dart it had 20 thousand miles on it and imediately disabled all the heat causing crap the belly pan and AGS and even then the oil was still breaking down. I really think root cause is the oil.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts