Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idk what to do. There's no fix for it as of yet but they're recalling 2.4 tigershark motors for excessive emissions. This is not good for me. i have an aftermarket ecu from syked along with modern performances high flow cat and headers. Emissions are required where i live. i don't know if this recall is gonna have to be performed in order to pass next year if my vehicle is required for a retest. Here's the news bulletin from mopar insider:
FCA To Recall Around 1 Million Vehicles Due To Emissions Issues: - Mopar Insiders

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Idk what to do. There's no fix for it as of yet but they're recalling 2.4 tigershark motors for excessive emissions. This is not good for me. i have an aftermarket ecu from syked along with modern performances high flow cat and headers. Emissions are required where i live. i don't know if this recall is gonna have to be performed in order to pass next year if my vehicle is required for a retest. Here's the news bulletin from mopar insider:
FCA To Recall Around 1 Million Vehicles Due To Emissions Issues: - Mopar Insiders
Have you passed the emissions previously while you had the high-flow cat and headers installed?

Thank you for the link, I wasn't aware of this. I laughed when I read the part where it said this is not related to the 2.4 oil consumption lawsuit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, i'm registered till next year July. i laughed to i think that's the main issue. Im hoping its a ecu reflash i can flip flop ecus for the reflash and put my syked ecu back in. that's one plan. i really hope its not an updated cat otherwise i'm screwed. I haven't had to do emissions yet cuz its a 2016. There's no check engine so it will pass but like i said if this recall is needed to pass emissions and need an updated cat im screwed

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Yes, i'm registered till next year July. i laughed to i think that's the main issue. Im hoping its a ecu reflash i can flip flop ecus for the reflash and put my syked ecu back in. that's one plan. i really hope its not an updated cat otherwise i'm screwed. I haven't had to do emissions yet cuz its a 2016. There's no check engine so it will pass but like i said if this recall is needed to pass emissions and need an updated cat im screwed
I doubt it's an ECU reflash, because if that was the case the EPA would be all over FCA Stellantis (damn, that new name sure is a dumpster fire). The problem is that the OEM catalytic converters are degrading in performance sooner than they should be based on long-term testing. It looks like this recall is an expansion of an existing recall for the older 2.4L engines initiated in early 2019. The fix will almost certainly be to replace the original catalytic converter, but it's been over a year now since this recall started and I don't think they've performed a single fix yet.

Depending on how emissions are measured, you might not have a problem. I know that in Ontario, before the testing was discontinued entirely a few years ago (due to a lack of vehicles failing), they would just start the car, check for CELs, and plug it into a OBD2 reader. As long as all the monitors reported ready and there were no CELs, you passed. There was no visual inspection or anything. I'm not sure if they checked for recalls, but I doubt it. The original test involved putting the car on a dyno and measuring actual emissions at the tailpipe. People actually failed that kind of test, because there's not faking what's actually in the exhaust gases. The OBD2 test can be cheated so that even a catless car will pass with a proper tune. The places doing the test would get their $50 either way, so their only motive was to get the car in and out of the shop as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt it's an ECU reflash, because if that was the case the EPA would be all over FCA Stellantis (damn, that new name sure is a dumpster fire). The problem is that the OEM catalytic converters are degrading in performance sooner than they should be based on long-term testing. It looks like this recall is an expansion of an existing recall for the older 2.4L engines initiated in early 2019. The fix will almost certainly be to replace the original catalytic converter, but it's been over a year now since this recall started and I don't think they've performed a single fix yet.

Depending on how emissions are measured, you might not have a problem. I know that in Ontario, before the testing was discontinued entirely a few years ago (due to a lack of vehicles failing), they would just start the car, check for CELs, and plug it into a OBD2 reader. As long as all the monitors reported ready and there were no CELs, you passed. There was no visual inspection or anything. I'm not sure if they checked for recalls, but I doubt it. The original test involved putting the car on a dyno and measuring actual emissions at the tailpipe. People actually failed that kind of test, because there's not faking what's actually in the exhaust gases. The OBD2 test can be cheated so that even a catless car will pass with a proper tune. The places doing the test would get their $50 either way, so their only motive was to get the car in and out of the shop as quickly as possible.
I know about the emissions part. Only concern is this was recently brought to light on news and website. I just ran my moms challenger through and they check for open recalls. There was a few but it passed. They were not emission involved tho being this one is. I'm afraid if my car is required to be tested next year, as it wasnt this year, I'm screwed if its a new cat converter. A reflash is the most cost effective route and guarantee Chrysler may go that route as they seem to like cutting corners where its cost effective. I mean they won't form a fix for oil burning problems and pretty sure that may have something to do with peoples problems. Hopefully the recall will not be needed to pass emissions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, I had a recall notice mailed to me two years ago...no fix in sight and I'll bet Stellantis (??) will drag this out until they are forced by the governments to fix it. I wrote in to FCA Canada and had a chat with them and they have no idea how long a fix will take to roll out and unless you are experiencing problems because of the recall they won't even chip in on an aftermarket fix.....ZERO DOLLARS!!! Plus, if you swap out your cat and something does happen down the road, you can bet they deny warranty coverage if you have any left.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No warranty is expired, it was when i bought it. Didn't buy the extended cuz i wanted to do work to it. And Chrysler is so big on motorsports I;m surprised they're not willing to work with the people who are into making the dart faster. Maybe that recall will be dismissed. It did say government isn't jumping on their butts about it so they may just scoot it under the carpet.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Yeah, I had a recall notice mailed to me two years ago...no fix in sight and I'll bet Stellantis (??) will drag this out until they are forced by the governments to fix it. I wrote in to FCA Canada and had a chat with them and they have no idea how long a fix will take to roll out and unless you are experiencing problems because of the recall they won't even chip in on an aftermarket fix.....ZERO DOLLARS!!! Plus, if you swap out your cat and something does happen down the road, you can bet they deny warranty coverage if you have any left.
Haha, FCA Canada's "case managers" (or whatever they call them) are pretty useless. They know nothing about anything. They didn't even know what the factory powertrain warranty was on a 2013 Dart when I spoke to them once. They also know absolutely nothing about FCA service contracts. I wouldn't trust anything they told me. Anyway, the recall in question is probably nothing to worry about. They only issued it because it keeps the EPA friendly instead of them levying multi-billion dollar fines. It's probably going to take years for them to address every affected vehicle, and they will probably start with the oldest models, which use previous generation 2.4L engines.

Oh yeah, "Stellantis" is the name of new company formed with the merger of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Groupe PSA (Peugeot, Citroën, Vauxhall, and Opel). Which means that soon, on top of Fiats that nobody wants in North America, they will be selling Citroëns and Peugeots that nobody wants.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah they seem to be big on stuff no body wants. I'm just lucky I didn't get the 1.4 fire engine from Fiat, those things are nightmares.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Yeah they seem to be big on stuff no body wants. I'm just lucky I didn't get the 1.4 fire engine from Fiat, those things are nightmares.
Yeah, stuff nobody wants, like the Dart. It's actually a pretty reliable engine that is used worldwide in a number of applications, in both turbocharged and normally-aspirated forms. The turbo version used on the Dart is good up to around 300hp on its stock internals. Also, nobody is filing class actions suits about the 1.4L FIRE engine, which can't be said about the 2.4L Tigershark. I'm not resurrecting the "Great Engine Wars" of 2013-2014, but the 2.4L Tigershark is certainly nothing to write home about in terms of quality or reliability, and I would personally never take the risk of buying a used Dart with this engine, now that they're all pretty much out of warranty.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive just heard horror stories on them. As far as the tigershark, mines been a great engine so far and doesn't burn oil, as these engines seem to have a problem with that. I also don't run 20 weight oil either so

·
Registered
48 Posts
Man, I'm learning a lot today...

FCA will be renamed Stellantis, had no idea.

From the article:
The Article said:
FCA also said the issue was not related to lawsuits claiming excessive oil use by the Tigershark engines
I had no idea about that either. I'd love to get in on it since I've gone in for oil consumption a few times.

The problem is that the OEM catalytic converters are degrading in performance sooner than they should be based on long-term testing. It looks like this recall is an expansion of an existing recall for the older 2.4L engines initiated in early 2019. The fix will almost certainly be to replace the original catalytic converter, but it's been over a year now since this recall started and I don't think they've performed a single fix yet.
So I used to live in a state that was pretty heavy on emissions testing, but the state my car is currently registered to does not. I suppose I have nothing to worry about?

What does this potential recall mean for drivers who have already replaced their entire exhaust system with an aftermarket option, catalytic converter included? I haven't taken that step yet but I had it planned.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, I'm learning a lot today...

FCA will be renamed Stellantis, had no idea.

From the article:

I had no idea about that either. I'd love to get in on it since I've gone in for oil consumption a few times.

So I used to live in a state that was pretty heavy on emissions testing, but the state my car is currently registered to does not. I suppose I have nothing to worry about?

What does this potential recall mean for drivers who have already replaced their entire exhaust system with an aftermarket option, catalytic converter included? I haven't taken that step yet but I had it planned.
That was my issue. We're not sure as of yet what the recall will be. I think it will be an ecu flash as that's most cost friendly option. But as far as your oil consumption, use a 30 weight oil. Have been running it in my dart a couple of times now and runs 100 times better and really think it will help your oil consumption. I noticed in Arizona heat and 20 weight oil the oil breaks down and burns off as these engines run hot naturally. Try the 30 weight guarantee you will have better results and it may slow down or eliminate your oil problem

·
Registered
48 Posts
0W-30 Synthetic? I suppose I could try it the next time I do an oil change. I went through Dodge's consumption test and passed even though I had consumed a hellacious amount right before testing. I had pretty much resigned myself to thinking "that's just how it's going to be" and keeping extra oil in the trunk.

EDIT: Am I also able to keep using the same size filters with 0W-30?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
0W-30 Synthetic? I suppose I could try it the next time I do an oil change. I went through Dodge's consumption test and passed even though I had consumed a hellacious amount right before testing. I had pretty much resigned myself to thinking "that's just how it's going to be" and keeping extra oil in the trunk.
No, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. This oil falls in the ms spec for our vehicles. If you have a 2.0 or 2.4, it will help for sure. The 20 weight oil is a gimmick for fuel economy.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Actually as long as you are under 80,000 miles on your car, it's best to go ahead and check. I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US, it's a Federal Law requiring manufacturers to replace Catalytic Converters free of charge if the vehicle is under 8 years old and under 80,000 miles (see link for more info)

Under federal law, the catalytic converter and engine-control module are covered for eight years or 80,000 miles. Some other emissions parts carry shorter federal warranties, usually two years or 24,000 miles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its not
Actually as long as you are under 80,000 miles on your car, it's best to go ahead and check. I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US, it's a Federal Law requiring manufacturers to replace Catalytic Converters free of charge if the vehicle is under 8 years old and under 80,000 miles (see link for more info)

Its not a warrenty its a recall

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chrysler spec specifies ms 6395 for dodge dart and pennzoil platinum 5w 30 falls in that spec. I've ran it flawlessly for two oil changes now and it doesnt break down like the 0w 20 weight oil did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, I found that in my manual. But it says that oil that does not meet that spec AND does not meet the recommended viscosity 0w20 should not be used.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts