Dodge Dart Forum banner
441 - 460 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am using the canbus, the same exact kit in the diy on the first page.

Can I turn off the headlights on upon unlock? I wasn't aware that this was a setting. I do not have the touchscreen uconnect, if that makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #442 ·
I am using the canbus, the same exact kit in the diy on the first page.

Can I turn off the headlights on upon unlock? I wasn't aware that this was a setting. I do not have the touchscreen uconnect, if that makes any difference.
You can do it yourself through the screen. Don't think there is a way with the Uconnect200. You can go to the dealer and ask them to do it for you. It should be free. They just need to plug into your car and turn the feature off.

I have my "headlights on approach" (that is the exact name for it) and my DRL lights turned off. DRLs burn up the turn signal sockets

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #444 ·
Follow up to my issues with the passenger ballast firing. Earlier this week the ballast stopped firing completely. I took the system apart and swapped components one at a time over to the driver's side. Turns out the ballast is dead. I was reading on their website and they only cover warranty shipping if you are in the US. For Canada you are responsible for shipping. I am hoping that they waive this because when I received my shipment the box was beat up and it was soaked. I sent pictures to TRS and was advised that all components were waterproof and there would not be an issue. Seeing how they have only been installed since the beginning of march I am hoping that they will work with me. Considering shipping for my original order was $45 USD
I PMed back and got ahold of Nate from TRS. He said he has no problem getting you some replacement parts at no extra cost. Sometimes their lower employees won't be so nice when it comes to giving free returns. As their policy does state that only US is covered for that, but Nate agrees that charging would be an insult.

I cannot blame the live chat guys though. Lets say I was them and their policy strictly states CA buyers are responsible for return shipping. Well they aren't the boss, and surely don't want to be fired over giving out free stuff. Can't really blame them on that. But they at least could have talked to their boss, and could have resolved it. Either way, they always take care of their customers in the end. :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
@Cntrollerfanboy Huge thank you for helping me out. You truly went above and beyond. You're a great asset to our Dart community

Reactions: Cntrollerfanboy

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I recently got this kit and was installing today and all that was needed was to install bulbs in housing...I tried for a good 2 hours trying to get the bulb to turn in and lock in place but nothing...I tried with stock Halogens and it was a 5 minute job...anyone else have this problem? Or a possible solution?

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #447 ·
So I recently got this kit and was installing today and all that was needed was to install bulbs in housing...I tried for a good 2 hours trying to get the bulb to turn in and lock in place but nothing...I tried with stock Halogens and it was a 5 minute job...anyone else have this problem? Or a possible solution?
I found it is much easier if you just put the bulb (elbow shaped base) with the base facing to the right. Following that procedure I can install them fairly quickly. You did get 9012 correct? If it's 9006 you're not getting it in there. lol :p They do fit very well in the housing, and I've installed them on at least 20 darts of all years minus 2016.

OH. You have a 16. That would be your problem... Sorry I had a disclaimer in that wall of text somewhere. I added a new one right at the top (which I should have done in the beginning...).

The 2016 Darts they switched over to 9005 bulbs. Why? WHO KNOWs. Probably cutting cost because 9012 are more expensive, but better performing.

Contact the retrofitsource and tell them your issue. You have 9012 bulbs and you need 9005. Try and play dumb and be like yeah your Buyers guide for all other years says 9012, and so does all the online forums (although I would check your user manual. I am curious to see if they even updated in there! If not you really have a good case on your hands). Just explain you got the kit with 9012 bulbs, but now see the car uses 9005. They might cut you some slack and offer you an even exchange.

My apologies, this thread has gotten fairly large and a 2016 member informed me of this. I should have made it more clear in the initial post as I don't expect anyone to read through what 45 pages (over 400 posts). If worst comes to worst, you could always just buy 9005 bulbs from them ($30 not too expensive) and sell them on here and make most of your money back. I'm sure others might be looking for spares. Everything else you got "should" work it's just the locking fins on the base of the bulb that are different.

Sorry again. Let me know how that goes. :sad:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is there anyway I can modify the fins with a dremel?

Edit: Nevermind. I will keep it simple and call in the morning tomorrow lol

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 ·
Is there anyway I can modify the fins with a dremel?

Edit: Nevermind. I will keep it simple and call in the morning tomorrow lol
I actually believe the base input diameter is a little bigger than 9012. But I am pretty sure the socket is the same. When you call them ask about that just to be sure. If you didn't call already. I know inputs to the ballasts are all 9006 standard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They are letting me exchange the bulbs!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'll finally be ordering my head and fog lamp kits next week, but I recall reading the headlamps are reverse polarity. Is this a Dart thing or a 9012 bulb design? If it's a Dart thing, is the kit designed for this or will I have to fiddle around some? I have no issues removing my pins and swapping the positions in the OEM connector, just good to know before hand. :p

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #452 · (Edited)
I'll finally be ordering my head and fog lamp kits next week, but I recall reading the headlamps are reverse polarity. Is this a Dart thing or a 9012 bulb design? If it's a Dart thing, is the kit designed for this or will I have to fiddle around some? I have no issues removing my pins and swapping the positions in the OEM connector, just good to know before hand. :p
the 9012 kit will work 100% for you. No flipping pins or connectors. Just do it just like normal. 9006 and 9012 are reversed and before 9012 HID bulbs were made, everyone used 9006 because it fit and worked. But the polarity was flipped so they needed to flip the connector around to account for that.

They are letting me exchange the bulbs!
that is great to hear! Glad they did an even exchange. Sorry again for the confusion. Off topic: I love your engine cover. I look to get the same one over the summer when I build the funds up some more. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
the 9012 kit will work 100% for you. No flipping pins or connectors. Just do it just like normal. 9006 and 9012 are reversed and before 9012 HID bulbs were made, everyone used 9006 because it fit and worked. But the polarity was flipped so they needed to flip the connector around to account for that.
Eeeeexcellent. Thanks a bunch man! Looking forward to the install - might wrap the fog lenses with the Dragon Laminates NEO Yellow film. Can't wait to set 'er apart from the pack around here.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I actually believe the base input diameter is a little bigger than 9012. But I am pretty sure the socket is the same. When you call them ask about that just to be sure. If you didn't call already. I know inputs to the ballasts are all 9006 standard.
They're the same, it's just that one tab that's double the size on a 9006. You just need to trim it down with a dremel to get a 9006 bulb to fit. Input diameter on the two is the same, but sometimes the 9006 bulbs have thicker o-rings. (Why it's some, and not all is a manufacturing thing I guess.) The thicker o-ring makes it just a little harder to get in, but it's not terrible. One thing you do have to be very careful with, is when using the 9006 bulb, it is easy to get the bulb filament out of that one spot it needs to project light properly. If it's off by just a little bit, you will notice that the light output from the projector is almost cut in half, and the beam is not correct at all. Which is kind of odd, because in most projector housings, it doesn't really matter where the source is inside the housing as much. This is the first one I've had that is so finicky about the exact position of the light source.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just had a chance to install my kit from TRS outlined just as they are on the first page.....wow what a huge difference from stock. They look amazing. Can't wait to get a set of fogs to go with them. Thanks to everyone in this thread for posting their troubles and what worked for them!!!

These things are sweet!

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #456 ·
Just had a chance to install my kit from TRS outlined just as they are on the first page.....wow what a huge difference from stock. They look amazing. Can't wait to get a set of fogs to go with them. Thanks to everyone in this thread for posting their troubles and what worked for them!!!

These things are sweet!
Glad you like them!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I'm wondering.... TRS has a Mopar 15+ kit on their site for our cars but it's listed at $215.00. Just wondering if this kit OP posted with the can bus harness works problem free on our cars.... should I just order it and save myself the $65.00? Looking to order ASAP but want more opinions.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #458 ·
So I'm wondering.... TRS has a Mopar 15+ kit on their site for our cars but it's listed at $215.00. Just wondering if this kit OP posted with the can bus harness works problem free on our cars.... should I just order it and save myself the $65.00? Looking to order ASAP but want more opinions.
Definitely save the $. Error free? Winter seems to cause a bit of issues. But so has every single other kit I have ever tested that claimed to be canbus. Some darts didn't experience errors, while others did. I have a feeling anyone on the forums or FB pages that claim their "kit" that they buy happen to have one of these non picky darts. Also warmer weather results in no errors for the most part in my testing. So that could be it too. I love when people post cheap ass chinese kits and say "no issues with mine". Yeah just wait till a ballast goes out 3 months in, and have to deal with customer service that sucks immensely.

I also tested the 15+ spec kit, and I actually got more errors in warm weather than the canbus. The dart I guess was never meant to have HIDs as their CANbus system is a royal pain in the ass.

441 - 460 of 499 Posts