Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 dart sxt 2.0 automatic. 60k

Bought dart 30k ago. It's always had it's quirks. I have had my share of repairs, and am totally capable of making them.

So recently. I came home pulled in drive
, Put it in park let off brake. Car rolls back slightly I hear 'ping' a metal to metal contact sound.

Don't think anything about it. Few days later out spirited driving as usual. Accelerate hard at light, lmfao. As hard as a dart could go. And hear ping''. Struck me as odd, now I have heard this twice. So a few days later I went home, and went to back in to driveway. D to R smooth transition, hit the gas and hear PING'

So I have my wife come out and stand next to the car. Put it in drive hold the brake, and a lil bump of the pedal. Ping''

Tried to hit gas again, and it doesn't duplicate.

So I put it in reverse, hold brake, bump the gas pedal. PINGGGGG'
AND THEN ,will not duplicate unless I switch back to drive, and do the same thing. Ping''

Now I'm no idiot. I have built several race cars, Jeep's,etc

I look at the motor mounts. Passenger side I can see, the rubber is torn. Excitedly I order that mount, replace.

Repeat process afterwards, ping''

So I order driver mount, which was annihilated and leaking. Finally force that bugger back together .

Retest, drive around. Pull back in drive, hold brake. Hit gas pedal, ping'''''''''''

Now let me give u a rundown.

Car was new bought in 16 with 30k.

I put new wheels and tires on this car immediately. 20x9 and 255/30/20 tires.

I have always felt a weird vibration on accelerating and highway speeds.

I originally thought it was tires, low pros are now ur friend when they get bulges from reflector in road.

Replaced tires full sets twice now.

At that time my car was pushed across 5ft of parking lot by semi truck, who didn't know how to wide turn for trailer. Caused minor damage to front of car.

It had a weirder wobble, new set of tires, new hubs, new drive shafts, new inner and outer tierods, wheel alignment and balancing.and it's better on drivability.

But then I go-to park or reverse,and get Ping, now wtf.

I went thru and checked torque on all engine mounts, struts, etc.

Is there something I've missed?

I know there is one more mount, a stabilization mount on the rear of tranny. It's order, I just haven't received it. Just trying to get this figured out...........,....... Seems to be Gremlins. As we all know the Mopar Gremlins are dangerous:ROFLMAO:

Any help appreciated, no questions invalid.....help this guy out!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your time. I've got that mount ordered I'm waiting for it to get here hopefully it'll be here tomorrow. it's funny because it's the part I ordered first and it's taking the longest to get here but it's the shortest distance logistically to my house. Anybody else when I chimed in?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I appreciate your time. I've got that mount ordered I'm waiting for it to get here hopefully it'll be here tomorrow. it's funny because it's the part I ordered first and it's taking the longest to get here but it's the shortest distance logistically to my house. Anybody else when I chimed in?
You will laugh when you actually remove the stock mount. You can bend the entire mount 90 degrees using only your fingers, it's such a horrible design. The bad mount also causes a lot of "bucking" when getting on/off the gas pedal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  • I'm driving home right now the mount came in last night. I will have it installed shortly here in about an hour or two I hope that it fixes the issue. I can say that those original factory mounts are pieces of crap and even the new rear stabilizer Mount that I received last night is very pliable and bendy I'm not sure how long it's going to hold out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a freaking night. Let's say....nobody should ever have to replace that rear damn mount on jackstands. So.

New rear stabilizer Mount. Installed.

The original stabilizer Mount was in great condition compared to passenger and driver mounts that I pulled out of the dart.

I attached pictures. New mount, gave me a run for my money. Being damn near 5mm taller, wtf. So after some fine sanding, check, fine sanding, check, fine sanding check. I couldn't believe what I had to remove to get it to slide into it's home.

After all was torqued down, I couldnt find it in me to attach this sh*tty splash engine cover that drags, rubs,and stays saturated with water. So I left that out for trash.

Also installed new end links, on the sway bar. One was really sloppy, I noticed.

I did find a suspect bolt.

Pic attached.

It holds down pipe to block. It had a nice Gap. Scene evidence of rubbings, which could be my ping, clunk, Chang, etc.

I was scared to put some arm into it thinking, it could snap off like other cheap hardware on this car.

After test drive all is well. I still get a noise, it's more of a muffled ping now. Seems like I deadened it.

I am going to re visit that bolt that holds the exhaust to the block, slap some red loctite on it. Almost wonder if it even needs to be connected.

The exhaust has 2 bolts to manifold,then flex pipe, and numerous flex mounts throughout.

This is probably a way they thought to secure the flex pipe, janky in my eyes. W
I will have to ponder this

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
What did you purchase for that rear engine mount? Sorry, but it looks like an even worse knockoff of the OEM engine mount, which is basically intentionally defective. You should have purchased Deyeme Racing engine mounts to replace all 3, but especially the rear one. I installed their firm mount in my Dart last spring and it's probably one of the first things that anybody should purchase and replace on a Dart.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm afraid to say that if you did not get your mounts from Deyeme racing you will be doing this again shortly. Travis makes top notch, motor mounts for this vehicle and I would absolutely buy again if he made some for my next.

One thing that I have to say that really stood out to me is that he is a real human being and recycles. He shipped my mounts with harbor freight ads as cushion inside a rockauto box. These are two places I frequent and love - I even ended up reading the damn harbor freight deals! Expired? Sure but awesome nonetheless.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know I had heard about these mounts a few years ago. I never had any indicators at that time that my engine mounts would be gone, nor did I think that they would be. The issues I've been chasing down lately minus the ping. Have driven me freaking crazy knowing what I know now I would have got their mounts because I sure as hell don't want to do this again but now I guess it'll give me time to come up with a color because that's even harder decision to have custom mounts made what color to choose

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh and I didn't include that my factory Mopar mounts on the driver side both bolts were cross threaded. Which gave me a run for my money and skills

1 - 12 of 12 Posts