Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was on facebook and it sounds like he needs 8 more people. Anyone interested in it?

2.4L Dart and Jeep owners here's your chance!!!

Syked ECU Tuning has been working on the ability to flash the 2.4L PCM so we can build a custom tune.
There are 4 main steps to being able to offer this and we have been able to get through the first 2. The next step is modifying the bootloaders and removing the RSA encryption that doesn't allow modifications to the tune.
The equipment to be able to do this bootloader modification is not going to be inexpensive. Due to the extensive development and the fact this PCM is only used in the 2.4L applications (which is a small number) we are going to have to turn to the community for a commitment prior to us investing thousands of dollars. Based on the 1.4L and 2.0L sales we are going to need 20 people to commit.
Development time is between 60-90 days once we get a car for testing. Has it taken less time? Absolutely! But the multi air can be tricky and this is a new PCM which has slightly different logic.
The tune we develop will be on a NA 2.4L with LTH and CAI. We should see upwards to 20-25 whp gain over stock and much better throttle response. We will be able to include all the same features as we do with the 2.0L calibration.
Retail with PCM flash to your car with Syked tune $499.99 plus 14.70 shipping. We will ask for a deposit of half down. Once we get a commitment from 20 people we will order everything and get a car for development. We will spend a minimum of 20 hours a week until we get the tune done.
We already have complete software coverage so we only need to get this boot loader patch done and we can start tuning.
Once the tune is complete you will have 30 days to pay the balance and then the PCM with Syked tune will ship.
Just a reminder, this does include an engine controller so you can still keep your stock PCM for a backup. If you are interested and ready to get in on the action email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
This was on facebook and it sounds like he needs 8 more people. Anyone interested in it?

2.4L Dart and Jeep owners here's your chance!!!

Syked ECU Tuning has been working on the ability to flash the 2.4L PCM so we can build a custom tune.
There are 4 main steps to being able to offer this and we have been able to get through the first 2. The next step is modifying the bootloaders and removing the RSA encryption that doesn't allow modifications to the tune.
The equipment to be able to do this bootloader modification is not going to be inexpensive. Due to the extensive development and the fact this PCM is only used in the 2.4L applications (which is a small number) we are going to have to turn to the community for a commitment prior to us investing thousands of dollars. Based on the 1.4L and 2.0L sales we are going to need 20 people to commit.
Development time is between 60-90 days once we get a car for testing. Has it taken less time? Absolutely! But the multi air can be tricky and this is a new PCM which has slightly different logic.
The tune we develop will be on a NA 2.4L with LTH and CAI. We should see upwards to 20-25 whp gain over stock and much better throttle response. We will be able to include all the same features as we do with the 2.0L calibration.
Retail with PCM flash to your car with Syked tune $499.99 plus 14.70 shipping. We will ask for a deposit of half down. Once we get a commitment from 20 people we will order everything and get a car for development. We will spend a minimum of 20 hours a week until we get the tune done.
We already have complete software coverage so we only need to get this boot loader patch done and we can start tuning.
Once the tune is complete you will have 30 days to pay the balance and then the PCM with Syked tune will ship.
Just a reminder, this does include an engine controller so you can still keep your stock PCM for a backup. If you are interested and ready to get in on the action email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Kevin
Any work if they have met commitment and if this is moving forward?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Any work if they have met commitment and if this is moving forward?
They haven’t gotten it yet. Last I heard it was around 8 committed and he extended the deadline to end of March

·
Registered
28 Posts
Last I saw they dropped it for the 2.4. Couldn’t get 10 to sign up and they wanted 20. I still have a couple years on my warranty or they would have had my money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts
Last I saw they dropped it for the 2.4. Couldn’t get 10 to sign up and they wanted 20. I still have a couple years on my warranty or they would have had my money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
he didn't drop it he is still waiting for the 20 person to commit before end of march

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
I know this is the 2.4 section but is there any word on a 2016 1.4 tune I'm looking and nobody offers a 2016 1.4 tune.
Syked currently sells tunes for the 1.4T manual Dart. However, if you don't have a 2013 1.4T, you will be required to purchase the $200.00 more expensive version which includes a new ECU. Unfortunately, the 2014+ ECU used for the 1.4T Dart is far more heavily encrypted than the 2013 and to date I don't believe anybody has managed to get past it (this is an issue in the 500 Abarth community as well).

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
All,

What would be the difference between the Syked (proposed) tune and the RRM tune for the 2.4L? It does appear that the Syked tune is stating a jump of about 20-25HP while the RRM tune "results" shows only a gain of about 12HP. What are the thoughts? Also, what is "LTH" (am I missing something easy here)?

Also, concerning the RRM 2.4L tune, it states "Expect a 10-15% gain in power when packaged together with the Road Race Motorsports Lightweight Aluminum Pulley." However the RRM Lightwieght Pulley also states "Research has shown that 2.7 HP is gained from every pound of weight reduced from the crankshaft". So if the RRM Pulley weighs .5lbs and the stock weighs 4lbs, the 3.5 lbs saving spuld then equate to 2.7hp x 3.5 = a 9.45 gain back in HP. Does that mean that the tune then only give you an additional "boost" of about 2.5hp? Am I missing something here? Or, since the pulley replacement does not have a gain in total hp, just a gain back in "lost" hp, does that mean that using these two items together is really an "addition" of about 21 HP (12HP shown from tuner addition and 9.45 "gained back" from lightweight pulley).

I love getting hypothetical with this as i decide ultimately how to spend my money. loom forward to a debate here and getting feedback.

·
Registered
719 Posts
All,

What would be the difference between the Syked (proposed) tune and the RRM tune for the 2.4L? It does appear that the Syked tune is stating a jump of about 20-25HP while the RRM tune "results" shows only a gain of about 12HP. What are the thoughts? Also, what is "LTH" (am I missing something easy here)?

Also, concerning the RRM 2.4L tune, it states "Expect a 10-15% gain in power when packaged together with the Road Race Motorsports Lightweight Aluminum Pulley." However the RRM Lightwieght Pulley also states "Research has shown that 2.7 HP is gained from every pound of weight reduced from the crankshaft". So if the RRM Pulley weighs .5lbs and the stock weighs 4lbs, the 3.5 lbs saving spuld then equate to 2.7hp x 3.5 = a 9.45 gain back in HP. Does that mean that the tune then only give you an additional "boost" of about 2.5hp? Am I missing something here? Or, since the pulley replacement does not have a gain in total hp, just a gain back in "lost" hp, does that mean that using these two items together is really an "addition" of about 21 HP (12HP shown from tuner addition and 9.45 "gained back" from lightweight pulley).

I love getting hypothetical with this as i decide ultimately how to spend my money. loom forward to a debate here and getting feedback.
LTH means long tube header

The big difference is that the syked tune will modify the ecu parameters while the RRM trick the parameters to think it need more fuel/air etc.

For the pulley + tuner package, don't expect those gains well I didn't feel that I have 20 more horsepower and the pulley simply give back horsepower robbed by the heavy stock pulley.

The only thing I have noticed, is that I did similar 1/4 miles time with and without the tuner, so I'm mostly wondering if it did something or maybe the ecu override the tricked parameters to run like oem.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
@Anch , so without the long tube header (which I do not want to do any header changes at this point) my gains would be less with the Syked than what they propose (if it comes to be). I wonder how much? I also would like to know how much they attribute to the CAI? If you attribute a 5hp gain to the CAI, and a 5hp gain to the LTH, is the tune then just giving you 10 to 15 extra hp? Not trying to shoot either one down, or promote another, but trying to see if there are real gains to be had here and which one may be best. Or if they are both just over priced for perhaps minimal gains.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts
@Anch , so without the long tube header (which I do not want to do any header changes at this point) my gains would be less with the Syked than what they propose (if it comes to be). I wonder how much? I also would like to know how much they attribute to the CAI? If you attribute a 5hp gain to the CAI, and a 5hp gain to the LTH, is the tune then just giving you 10 to 15 extra hp? Not trying to shoot either one down, or promote another, but trying to see if there are real gains to be had here and which one may be best. Or if they are both just over priced for perhaps minimal gains.

thats for sure the gains won't be the same without the header but it's not only hp/tq that will be change. Everything from the throttle response to how the multiair cam profile will work will be modified for better street driving.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

The most gains will be with Syked, as it is an ACTUAL tune specific to the 2.4, 91+ octane, and bolt on mods. The RRM device is just electronic trickery that will never over-write the factory tune and most likely the stock ECU will negate it over time. Dollar to dollar, the Skyed tune will be leaps and bounds above what the RRM spectrum tuner will do.

Get on that waiting list now!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The most gains will be with Syked, as it is an ACTUAL tune specific to the 2.4, 91+ octane, and bolt on mods. The RRM device is just electronic trickery that will never over-write the factory tune and most likely the stock ECU will negate it over time. Dollar to dollar, the Skyed tune will be leaps and bounds above what the RRM spectrum tuner will do.

@Killraven , Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like solid logic and I agree that the RRM tune appears to be "tricking" the system into changing some outputs rather than actually "tuning". As my daily driver, that scares. Truthfully though, I am also skeptical about agreeing to a product that has not been approved, road tested and reviewed yet. I will need to consider whether I commit early, or cross my fingers that enough other people do and ride off of their generosity. A bit of an A=Hole move on my part maybe, but I want to see results, reviews and time logged on this Syked Tune (if it comes to be) before I commit hundreds of dollars.

Thanks for the input everyone. I am just going to go ahead and purchase the RRM Lightweight Pulley on its own and probably not do the RRM 2.4L Tune even if the Syked tune never sees the light of day. Hoping it does though. Looking forward to future information on this.

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts

On the flip side, the Spectrum tuner actually exists, and from what I've read people actually get pretty good results from it. For a normally-aspirated application, you're not likely to see a really big improvement no matter what tuning solution you go with. A lot of the benefit of an ECU tune is that it can correct some of the weird driveability issues that every Dart has, and for an automatic transmission it can improve the shift pattern for better performance. These are things a piggyback can't help with. Well, not a basic one like the Spectrum anyway. There are more advanced "secondary ECU" type piggybacks, but they're probably outside the scope of this discussion, as they are generally quite expensive and intended for more professional applications such as motorsports.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was skeptical about putting money down also but i think it will make the cars driveability way nicer. 10 people have committed as of now and so hoping to get more interest but its not looking good.

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
I was skeptical about putting money down also but i think it will make the cars driveability way nicer. 10 people have committed as of now and so hoping to get more interest but its not looking good.
So, of all the 2.4L Tigershark owners out there (which includes the Chrysler 200, Jeep Renegade, and Fiat 500X) only 10 people have committed to a tune for it to date? Funny, because I've been hearing complaints and bellyaching for years about how there is no proper tune for the 2.4L Darts. I would think there would be hundreds of people lining up for this tune.

·
Registered
719 Posts
So, of all the 2.4L Tigershark owners out there (which includes the Chrysler 200, Jeep Renegade, and Fiat 500X) only 10 people have committed to a tune for it to date? Funny, because I've been hearing complaints and bellyaching for years about how there is no proper tune for the 2.4L Darts. I would think there would be hundreds of people lining up for this tune.
I'm not even surprise, a lot of people in the community talk and wants stuff but when it come to spend the money, it's overpriced...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
As this is the only community I am part of, but knowing there are others, I am a little surprised as well. However, asking someone to commit $500 (I know the commitment down payment is only a percentage of that) on a tune that has not even been developed yet is a big ask. You have no idea how this will really perform, if after development and a period on your car it starts throwing codes, you see gains in one area, but losses elsewhere, etc.

Also, if this barely gets the support to get developed, what type of long term support will this receive if there are issues? I am not saying that Syked is trying to swindle people, but they are a company that needs revenue (like all businesses) and devoting time and resources to a product that barely got made would not be beneficial to them and would probably not be top priority. These are my concerns why I have decided against being an "Alpha" (pre-beta) committer on this. If the price point was different, and or this was not my daily driver and I could just tinker with the car, we thoughts would be different. My apologies to those on the list that my stance may frustrate.

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
@Killraven , Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like solid logic and I agree that the RRM tune appears to be "tricking" the system into changing some outputs rather than actually "tuning". As my daily driver, that scares. Truthfully though, I am also skeptical about agreeing to a product that has not been approved, road tested and reviewed yet. I will need to consider whether I commit early, or cross my fingers that enough other people do and ride off of their generosity. A bit of an A=Hole move on my part maybe, but I want to see results, reviews and time logged on this Syked Tune (if it comes to be) before I commit hundreds of dollars.

Thanks for the input everyone. I am just going to go ahead and purchase the RRM Lightweight Pulley on its own and probably not do the RRM 2.4L Tune even if the Syked tune never sees the light of day. Hoping it does though. Looking forward to future information on this.
Is this means anything, Kevin is one of the most well known Neon tuner in probably the world. His Sykes tune is all the Neon guys will go for. While this is a different platform, I believe his customer support on his other platforms will speak for what he can bring to us.

And actually he already has. He has tunes out for the 1.4 and 2.0. This is not his first rodeo, and everyone I know that has a Sykes tune, absolutely loves it. I drove my friends 1.4t with his tune, and it's not the same car. Nothing at all. I drove my friends old 1.4 with the RRM tuner box on it, LOL if you sat behind the wheel of both, you would not even know it was the same engine. So stock was even worse than that.

So while the turbos get more power and tq because, well, turbo. That doesn't mean Kevin will not try to get every bit of SAFE power out of the 2.4 as well. I mention safe because one of our past vendors on this platform also went up against Kevin on the neon platform. And there are quite a few horror stories. Although, I have never heard any bad thing about Sykes. Other than possibly a long communication time, but he is a busy man. He still tunes the Neons and others, and does a very good job. That's something people should respect and be worth a wait.

1 - 20 of 211 Posts