Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

Purchased the Syked 2.4L Tune for my 2014 Dart GT late last year. Due to cold weather, not having a garage to work in and family/work commitments; did not have enough free time to commit to removing my existing RRM Specturm "tuner", installing the Syked tune and ensuring everything was all set since it is my daily driver (no catastrophic failures, no codes/issues/etc.). Well, finally had a chance to do the install.

**Adding the mods/parts I am running with this tune:
  • RRM Lightweight Crank Pulley
  • MPx Lightweight Water Pump Pulley
  • MPx Over-Bored Throttle Body
  • Injen 2.4L Cold Air Intake
  • AutoLite Copper Plugs
  • Deyeme MTX Shift Control Rod & Arm, Clutch Delay Valve Delete & Rear Mount (Flex) (does not impact the HP/Torque, but I feel it does change the way the car drives)
  • **Will be purchasing the MPx Header & Exhaust in the Spring
Removing the RRM Spectrum "tuner" was easy since it was only last year that I installed it. I will say that I loved this product. It is everything it is advertised to be. That was another reason why I took my sweet time installing the Syked tune. I was very torn about making changes to a car that I was very happy with. Physical removal of the OEM ECU is one of the easiest things you will do on this car, closely followed by the installation of the Syked Tuned ECU (I went with a separate unit).

On initial startup, it was Christmas in March on my console. CEL, traction control lights were illuminated. Odometer was blinking. Gas pedal was not working. It was as if the car went into a severe limp mode. After a few seconds I shut the motor off, let it sit and restarted. On the second restart the traction control light did not reappear and the gas pedal was back in action, but the CEL was there. I was showing the following codes:

*U1504 - Our good friend whenever we disconnect battery

*P2122 - Throttle Position Sensor D Circuit Low Input

*P2127 - Throttle Position Sensor E Circuit Low Input

Used my MX OBDII with the AlfaOBD app to find and clear codes with no issue. Took the car for a short drive to ensure everything was operating and no other codes popped up. Odometer still blinking. When I returned, used the AlfaOBD to do my first Proxy Alignment. Wow! Super easy. Everything was successful and no more blinking Odometer.

*Just as an FYI, I have had a host of issues with the MX OBD connecting to my current android running OS10. Basically will not stay connected via Bluetooth. I used an old phone running OS8 (Oreo) that I initially used when I bought the scanner and AlfaOBD app. This worked perfectly. Do not know if this is a "me" problem (my phone, other apps running, etc.) or if anyone else has experienced this. From my experience, if so and you are using an Andorid, pick up an old Android running OS8 (Oreo) and it may solve your issues.

I will follow up with my actual driving experience. Too early to say anything yet.

IMG_20200310_101717.jpg

Existing setup with RRM Spectrum "tuner"

IMG_20200310_101725.jpg

Spectrum "tuner" in the fuse box.

IMG_20200310_102257.jpg

Spectrum "tuner" cabling before removal.

IMG_20200310_111423.jpg

Spectrum "tuner" removed, everything put back together and removing OEM ECU to replace with Syked ECU.

IMG_20200310_113711.jpg

Syked ECU in place.

IMG_20200310_113659.jpg

All done. Also had noticed that my coolant was low and topped off. I don't have the oil issue (fingers crossed), but my Dart sure loves eating coolant (nervously pushing down fears of an issue somewhere that will pop up).

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. Can't wait to get some driving time and to provide updates. Also can't wait to do a deep clean of my engine bay!

Reactions: Killraven

·
Registered
746 Posts
Have you thought of stacking tunes? NOt sure if that's possible on this platform but i know on the gti guys like to have a dedicated tune flash to the ecu and they run a piggy back on top of that to help get just a little bit more

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you thought of stacking tunes? NOt sure if that's possible on this platform but i know on the gti guys like to have a dedicated tune flash to the ecu and they run a piggy back on top of that to help get just a little bit more
Don't know if that is possible. RRM Spectrum tuner was created against OEM and/or their pulley and a CAI. Syked tune was created against all of the MPx bolt-ons. My concern is that the Spectrum tuner would change how the engine fires and what the Syked Tune was designed to see. Do not want to be the test subject for this and I am sure neither shop would say that the systems would play nice with each other.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Have you notice a difference in the exhaust tone since syked supposedly made it crackle and pop. Have you felt a difference vs the rrm tuner?

Reactions: Mass_Paul

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you notice a difference in the exhaust tone since syked supposedly made it crackle and pop. Have you felt a difference vs the rrm tuner?
On one of the initial startups, I gave it a good rev and got a nice, sharp "pop". Nothing since then.

Took a short drive to pick up dinner with my kids. Initial, quick thoughts:

*Exhaust note sounds raspier and a bit deeper.

*I have to say, so far, it seems like the the RRM tuner got the power down a touch quicker and harder, but maybe just a touch. However, the Syked tune seems to have more power beyond that. It goes through the gears quickly.

*Lastly, it seems like I have about half a gear more power. There is about a mile long hill to my house which has a 30mph speed limit that the town cops love to sit all along, so I always drive it around 35mph. Previous setup I would need to drive the lower, steeper part in 4th gear and then go to 5th gear towards the top where it levels out a bit more. With the Syked Tune, I can drive the bottom in 5th and top in 6th and still be able to give it gas and go.

I can cruise at 40mph in 6th gear and there is some power when I hit the gas. It's almost as if the car can go up a gear at 10mph less than before and have the same power/torque available. I think I need to relearn the power band and change when I am used to shifting.

Like I said, just initial thoughts on a short trip on back roads. Also, I rarely have three people in the car (normally I drive my car solo) and my kids are 21 and 15 so it changes the driving experience a bit (in aggressiveness and music choice). Will update after I have some more "butt dyno" data.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
Don't know if that is possible. RRM Spectrum tuner was created against OEM and/or their pulley and a CAI. Syked tune was created against all of the MPx bolt-ons. My concern is that the Spectrum tuner would change how the engine fires and what the Syked Tune was designed to see. Do not want to be the test subject for this and I am sure neither shop would say that the systems would play nice with each other.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
It seems like a bad idea to me and to my knowledge you would be the only one to try it.

I believe the way it works is that you send an input signal, throttle which is sent to the ECU. from there that is sent to the injectors, MAP, and IATs, but WAIT it's intercepted by the RRM tuner and it's values which are different from what's sent from the ECU are then finally applied. My order might be off here...

It may work just fine, or what's sent to RRM could be out of what it expects so you don't know how it will react without asking them directly, or being the test rat.
You'll want to use a real Dyno also while testing if it even runs so keep that in mind. The butt Dyno doesn't always apply especially when the increase could be nothing at all.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
On one of the initial startups, I gave it a good rev and got a nice, sharp "pop". Nothing since then.

Took a short drive to pick up dinner with my kids. Initial, quick thoughts:

*Exhaust note sounds raspier and a bit deeper.

*I have to say, so far, it seems like the the RRM tuner got the power down a touch quicker and harder, but maybe just a touch. However, the Syked tune seems to have more power beyond that. It goes through the gears quickly.

*Lastly, it seems like I have about half a gear more power. There is about a mile long hill to my house which has a 30mph speed limit that the town cops love to sit all along, so I always drive it around 35mph. Previous setup I would need to drive the lower, steeper part in 4th gear and then go to 5th gear towards the top where it levels out a bit more. With the Syked Tune, I can drive the bottom in 5th and top in 6th and still be able to give it gas and go.

I can cruise at 40mph in 6th gear and there is some power when I hit the gas. It's almost as if the car can go up a gear at 10mph less than before and have the same power/torque available. I think I need to relearn the power band and change when I am used to shifting.

Like I said, just initial thoughts on a short trip on back roads. Also, I rarely have three people in the car (normally I drive my car solo) and my kids are 21 and 15 so it changes the driving experience a bit (in aggressiveness and music choice). Will update after I have some more "butt dyno" data.

If you managed to change 4-5 to 5-6, that's pretty good considering the two passengers. That's bare minimum 200lbs of extra weight.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems like a bad idea to me and to my knowledge you would be the only one to try it.

I believe the way it works is that you send an input signal, throttle which is sent to the ECU. from there that is sent to the injectors, MAP, and IATs, but WAIT it's intercepted by the RRM tuner and it's values which are different from what's sent from the ECU are then finally applied. My order might be off here...

It may work just fine, or what's sent to RRM could be out of what it expects so you don't know how it will react without asking them directly, or being the test rat.
You'll want to use a real Dyno also while testing if it even runs so keep that in mind. The butt Dyno doesn't always apply especially when the increase could be nothing at all.
I would assume you could only stack if you were going to a vendor to do a unique tune on your setup. All mods would need to be running a a specific tune built.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a quick update, only been driving local roads. Been relegated to working from home due to that nasty virus going around. Anyway, it appears that I am getting the same HP and speeds that I did with the RRM tuner, but at like 500 or so less RPM. Defiantly feels like more HP and torque at lower RPM throughout.

Also, my MPG is going up. Since I can now cruise at the same speeds in and around town at 1500 RPM instead of 2000 RPM mileage is going up. My driving style also seems to have more of a direct impact on my MPG, either up or down. Previously, would always seem like my aggressive driving would quickly lower MPG, but my more conservative driving seemed to take forever to have a positive change on MPG. Now it seems to make more sense, up or down.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As a quick update, only been driving local roads. Been relegated to working from home due to that nasty virus going around. Anyway, it appears that I am getting the same HP and speeds that I did with the RRM tuner, but at like 500 or so less RPM. Defiantly feels like more HP and torque at lower RPM throughout.

Also, my MPG is going up. Since I can now cruise at the same speeds in and around town at 1500 RPM instead of 2000 RPM mileage is going up. My driving style also seems to have more of a direct impact on my MPG, either up or down. Previously, would always seem like my aggressive driving would quickly lower MPG, but my more conservative driving seemed to take forever to have a positive change on MPG. Now it seems to make more sense, up or down.

Sounds good. Was wondering how/if the throttle response improved...similar to a GoPedal/Sprintbooster type device? How did you relay all the modifications to Syked? Basically what they are calling a Stage 2 tune. I've got the lightweight pulleys, larger TB, the Eurocompulsion intake system that I've grafted onto the Mopar CAI and Ram-Air kit with the sport hood. I've got the MPx long tube headers with HF Cat, and the rest of the exhaust with the resonators. So other than the Copper plugs, this is the last thing I'm looking to do for HP - other than the Turbo kit. Are you running 91 Octane or higher? Looking forward to hear how this works for you, as we have similar setups.
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sounds good. Was wondering how/if the throttle response improved...similar to a GoPedal/Sprintbooster type device? How did you relay all the modifications to Syked? Basically what they are calling a Stage 2 tune. I've got the lightweight pulleys, larger TB, the Eurocompulsion intake system that I've grafted onto the Mopar CAI and Ram-Air kit with the sport hood. I've got the MPx long tube headers with HF Cat, and the rest of the exhaust with the resonators. So other than the Copper plugs, this is the last thing I'm looking to do for HP - other than the Turbo kit. Are you running 91 Octane or higher? Looking forward to hear how this works for you, as we have similar setups.
Thanks for the feedback.
I had emailed Syked back in November to see if he was still selling items. I believe the business was shut down in October. He quickly responded that they were still selling. I had asked specific to my car and the 2.4L Tune and he resounded to go ahead and order. So I did. Pretty quick and easy and he responded to emails promptly. I would suggest you reach out with questions specific to your car.

I am running 93 Octane from the local Speedway Convenience/Gas Station local to my home. Only place I ever go unless I am traveling. Have been using 93 Octane ever since I started running the RRM Spectrum Tuner a year or so ago.

Hard to say about throttle response. I feel I had very good response with my 6-speed manual and all of my bolt-ons and previous Spectrum Tune. Throttle response is probably the same, but more HP and Torque all throughout. After driving some more on back roads yesterday, it feels like a different car, or someone put new gears with different ratios in my car. I really love the change and almost cannot believe how different it is and how much I like. I still have not taken it on the highway, and barely have 100 miles on it, so these are all initial thoughts (take with a grain of salt at this point).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds great!!! Honestly I noticed a better throttle when the lightweight pulleys where put on. It didn't hesitate as much upon take off. It sounds like this ECU will tie all I've done prior together. This can be the GTS/Scat Pack tune that Mopar promised, but never delivered...perhaps even better. Appreciate the help...looking forward to future updates.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One quick thing I wound like to add, I would imagine the driving experience with this tune (and bolt-ons) would not nearly be as enjoyable for a manual transmission if not for the Deyeme CDV delete and the rear mount. The extra HP and torque would make this car buck and stumble with the OEM setup.

Reactions: Cntrollerfanboy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the update. This was going to be in the plan at some point. Will have to make it part of this years plan, as well as some stiffer - but not too stiff - engine mounting. I took the CDV out of the M3 and it made a notable difference in the clutches engagement. I'm guessing it's a fairly simple procedure to swap them out...and bleed the air out of the system. Of all the manuals I have, this one has the lightest pedal effort...not sure why, as not too many grandmas - other than the ones from Pasadena - drive stick. Have you felt any clutch slipping with the extra power? I'm guessing there wouldn't be until you start getting closer to the 300+ HP mark, but just curious.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the update. This was going to be in the plan at some point. Will have to make it part of this years plan, as well as some stiffer - but not too stiff - engine mounting. I took the CDV out of the M3 and it made a notable difference in the clutches engagement. I'm guessing it's a fairly simple procedure to swap them out...and bleed the air out of the system. Of all the manuals I have, this one has the lightest pedal effort...not sure why, as not too many grandmas - other than the ones from Pasadena - drive stick. Have you felt any clutch slipping with the extra power? I'm guessing there wouldn't be until you start getting closer to the 300+ HP mark, but just curious.
Clutch feels fine; other than me getting used to the car driving differently. I have the Deyeme Flex (not firm) mount and love it. Probably minimizes some of the cabin vibrations others would get with the Firm Mount.

Just an additional FYI, I have had this tune on for about a week, and just short of 200 miles. I still have not driven on the highway yet, mostly town/local roads I drive often. With that, my MPG has gone from 26.4 to 29.5 as of today. I though my MPG would drop, but totally the opposite. I would say I have not changed the way I drive, but the power increase in lower RPMs has forced me to change the way I drive. Same speeds, higher gears, lower RPMs.

Reactions: 87ShelbyZ

·
Premium Member
6,167 Posts
Clutch feels fine; other than me getting used to the car driving differently. I have the Deyeme Flex (not firm) mount and love it. Probably minimizes some of the cabin vibrations others would get with the Firm Mount.

Just an additional FYI, I have had this tune on for about a week, and just short of 200 miles. I still have not driven on the highway yet, mostly town/local roads I drive often. With that, my MPG has gone from 26.4 to 29.5 as of today. I though my MPG would drop, but totally the opposite. I would say I have not changed the way I drive, but the power increase in lower RPMs has forced me to change the way I drive. Same speeds, higher gears, lower RPMs.

It has been mentioned before, but performance tunes will increase fuel economy if you generally drive in a conservative manner because they are more efficient than OEM tunes. A lot of it comes down to driving style. If you drive your car hard, you will likely get significantly worse fuel economy than the OEM tune, because the car will go all-out maximizing performance. I know that my stock 1.4T is good for about 40mpg, but I would die of boredom achieving that. I drive with "smiles per gallon" in mind most of time, and fuel economy was something I sort of lied to my wife about to get the turbo.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Smiles per gallon, huh? I see something that says otherwise! But I get it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,167 Posts
Smiles per gallon, huh? I see something that says otherwise! But I get it!
Haha, yeah. Here's the thing. If I edit my signature, it will only allow a single URL. So I leave it with the dead link to an image. Also, having nowhere to go and nothing to do but stay home and work for the past 4 days is not making me smile.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts