Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Dart SXT 2.4
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my tires rotated and shop (Sam’s Club) noted lugs needed replacement as they were swollen. As they have no financial interest in selling the replacements I was quite taken they’d make the time to point it out. Purchased 20 Dorman 611-005 for about $80 off Amazon. Had to purchase a 20mm socket to remove the old ones. There are 2 different types on Amazon - one for aluminum wheels (what I needed) and one far less expensive for steel wheels. I’ve got 63k on the ‘14 SXT and never had this problem before. Did brakes out of boredom during the pandemic and had no problem. Replacement bolts are just fine. Dealer wanted around $14 EACH.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dorman is not my first choice. You should check out "modernperformance.com/product/20-piece-hex-drive-lug-bolt-set-dart/13-16-dart-24l-drivetrain". They are smaller, more lightweight and better quality at half the price of those dorman's. Factory lugs get swollen for various reasons, usually because of how they were removed in the past.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just had my tires rotated and shop (Sam’s Club) noted lugs needed replacement as they were swollen. As they have no financial interest in selling the replacements I was quite taken they’d make the time to point it out. Purchased 20 Dorman 611-005 for about $80 off Amazon. Had to purchase a 20mm socket to remove the old ones. There are 2 different types on Amazon - one for aluminum wheels (what I needed) and one far less expensive for steel wheels. I’ve got 63k on the ‘14 SXT and never had this problem before. Did brakes out of boredom during the pandemic and had no problem. Replacement bolts are just fine. Dealer wanted around $14 EACH.
I bought a whole set from deyemeracing.com. When I got new tires I just tossed them in the center console and told the tire tech and Les Schwab they were in there. He was happy as he didn't have to deal with the swollen lugs for reinstall. The replacements don't have the stupid chrome caps that swell up. But this issue also happens on Ford vehicles as well.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Dart SXT 2.4
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dorman is not my first choice. You should check out "modernperformance.com/product/20-piece-hex-drive-lug-bolt-set-dart/13-16-dart-24l-drivetrain". They are smaller, more lightweight and better quality at half the price of those dorman's. Factory lugs get swollen for various reasons, usually because of how they were removed in the past.
The Modern Performance bolts are smaller and have a 17mm head. No problem for me, but the Jack wrench is still 19mm. The day my bride of 46 years would get a flat and a nobleman would come to change it and find the that wrench didn’t fit I would look like an NHL player who ran his mouth into a stick. That said, I appreciate the tip. I’ve been really lucky with this car. No excessive oil issue and save oil changes and filters, I’ve spent less than $1,000.00 on this car since the day it was new in August 2014. One set of tires, front brakes and rotors and an oil pressure switch. Mobil 1 on day one when I got it home, and only Mopar oil filters. And thanks again for your tip.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Dart SXT 2.4
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a whole set from deyemeracing.com. When I got new tires I just tossed them in the center console and told the tire tech and Les Schwab they were in there. He was happy as he didn't have to deal with the swollen lugs for reinstall. The replacements don't have the stupid chrome caps that swell up. But this issue also happens on Ford vehicles as well.
Didn’t know Ford had the same issue. I work in the funeral industry and would gladly hand-dig the grave, when the time is appropriate, of the engineer who thought this cap design was a good idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts